OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:37 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Marner is trying to reset the market, or he's waiting on someone like Rantanen to do so. No one wants to be first.

IMO the market value for an elite winger was set by Nikita Kucherov, so take that number and do with it what you will. If Marner truly thinks he should get Matthews money, then he should be dealt.

Kucherov's deal was pretty much all UFA years, wasn't it? Marner's won't be.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:07 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Bosc wrote:
Kucherov's deal was pretty much all UFA years, wasn't it? Marner's won't be.

Well there is that. Nonetheless, he shouldn't be getting the same coin as the team's best center/player.

Leafs lock up Kerfoot at 3.5 per/3yrs and Ceci at 4.5/1 yr. That leaves roughly $3.7 million, plus around $5.3 million once they put Nathan Horton on LTIR (last year of that, thank goodness).

That leaves almost exactly $9 million under the cap. Take it or leave it, Mitchy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:12 pm 

BTW, call me a tin foil hat wearer all you want but I would not be surprised if the reason the Leafs kept Ceci for one year instead of taking it to arbitration and then walking out on the ruling (as some have suggested they do, which I wish they had because HOLY SHIT would that have been one hell of an arbitration hearing). But is it possible they left a $9 million dollar window open (just for this year) to try and force Marner's hand? I wouldn't entirely rule it out. The Ceci deal doesn't have any consequences down the road for the Leafs, but it sure feels like it does with Marner.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:26 pm 

Just read the Marlies signed Cody Franson to a PTO. Very savvy, there's almost no risk and a potentially great reward if indeed there's anything left in the tank. I think, even if he's not NHL material at this point he'll be a solid player for the Marlies.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:57 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

So much for all the offer sheets heading Marner's way. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:41 pm 

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/will ... er-change/

Willie Nylander takes advantage of Lou's dumbass number rules being gone and switches from 29 to 88, and even offers to pay for any Toronto fans who need to redo their jerseys.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:58 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/william-nylander-looks-for-fresh-start-with-toronto-maple-leafs-starting-with-a-jersey-number-change/

Willie Nylander takes advantage of Lou's dumbass number rules being gone and switches from 29 to 88, and even offers to pay for any Toronto fans who need to redo their jerseys.
What a dumbass.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:23 am 

Why’s that dumb? Probably could use some fan support after last season’s debacle.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:52 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I get it, people grow attached to a number. He was not allowed to use his for a while and now wants it back.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:11 pm 
Big in Japan

I like the moves they made this offseason. I think they're a better team. But how can they get Marner signed without opening another hole? I don't see it.

Horton + Hyman + Dermott on LTIR + cap space they have left enough?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:12 pm 

I read on Twitter that Shanahan vetoed a preliminary deal. If so that’s very bad news.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:06 am 
King of the One-Liner

Looking at capfriendly. Cap space + Horton is 9 million. Then the could go with 21man roster to get to 10.5ish. If he wants more go get an offer sheet or sit.

Matthews got a crazy good deal, lucky him. Leafs need to point to Aho now and just say yeah we got taken to the woodshed with Matthews and are not going to again.

Really should have burned the season on Nylander, the other guys now are expecting Dubas to cave.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:41 pm 

Interesting...Tyson Barrie elects to go with 94 as his previous number. 4 was recently retired, so he obviously couldn't go with that. Only two players in Leafs history wore it before...the legendary Sergei Berezin, and Yanic Perreault.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:19 pm 

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/ ... 0314008581

Wait...what? What!?!? The Leafs are going to have both Horton AND Clarkson on Robidas Island!? And Garret Sparks is headed to Vegas...!?!????

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:49 pm 

Interesting...from what I'm reading, this move is essentially the Leafs preparing themselves to start the season without Mitch Marner.

https://twitter.com/EarlSchwartz27/stat ... 6175848454

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:22 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Wonder if Gardiner also returns to the Leafs post LTIR clear day.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:24 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Interesting...from what I'm reading, this move is essentially the Leafs preparing themselves to start the season without Mitch Marner.

https://twitter.com/EarlSchwartz27/stat ... 6175848454
Meaning hold out? Believe it when I see it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:25 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Wonder if Gardiner also returns to the Leafs post LTIR clear day.

Don't understand why either side would want to continue that marriage.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:27 pm 
Big in Japan

Not that anyone would try, but in the meantime doesn't this make them super vulnerable to an offer sheet?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:07 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Not that anyone would try, but in the meantime doesn't this make them super vulnerable to an offer sheet?

I don't think anyone really wants to give up 4 1st round picks, especially if he only wants a 5 year deal. Unless they have a handshake that he'll sign a huge 1 year offer sheet, then re-sign for 8 years. But he only wants 5 from what everyone is saying. 4 1st for 5 years? That's too many picks. 4 1sts for 9 years? Even that I can't see someone doing, even though I think it's worth it. If you did the 1 year offer sheet, you'd have to make it really clear to him that if he didn't re-sign he'd be traded. I think Jan 15th is the date you can re-sign after signing a 1 year deal, right? So that would give you about 5 weeks to find a landing place for him, and/or play hardball with him. "Sign with us or you're going to Edmonton!" If you traded him, you could ask for quite a few picks back, or you'll send him to one of their division rivals... He'd also still be an RFA next summer, so if the trade fell through, you'd either give him up to an offer sheet and recoup your 4 1sts, or trade him.

But nobody gives offer sheets that actually work. The idea creates lots of summer discussion, but no real moves.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next