OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:03 pm 
Old Man of the Post

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/vanc ... binations/

Pretty pictures...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:37 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Canux Luvah and I are going back and forth on Myers. I've never liked him at all as a player so I'm probably biased, but I still think it was a horrid signing of a thoroughly mediocre player. I just don't think barely clearing a low bar counts as a good move, especially as that contract could age very, very badly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:53 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Canux Luvah and I are going back and forth on Myers. I've never liked him at all as a player so I'm probably biased, but I still think it was a horrid signing of a thoroughly mediocre player. I just don't think barely clearing a low bar counts as a good move, especially as that contract could age very, very badly.
Guess we'll see. It's more the 5 year term that bothers me, but our bar is pretty low - he's better than Guddy. Hutton really faded down the stretch when given big minutes and is at best a bottom pairing guy. Like way more mediocre than Myers with no offensive upside and Myers is the much better skater.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:59 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:

It's entirely par for the Benning course that he would overpay for a #5 defenseman (on a good team) and I'm hopeful that he'll be good enough on this team to outplay one of Stetcher or Tanev on the right side. Hughes is such a good skater and puck handler that there's been some noise that he could also play that right side in a pinch but I don't think anyone wants to see a rookie in that position on this team. Time will tell if Benning has done enough to re-build this team that the warts he's paid for can be covered up by enough expensive make-up.
Out:
Nilsson
Del Zotto, Hutton, Gudbranson, & Poulliot
Dorsett, Gagner, Gaunce, Granlund, Leipsic, & Spooner

In:
Hughes, Benn, Myers, & Fantenberg
Ferland, Leivo, Miller, & Pearson

EDIT: As of today, CapFriendly says that they are at 45/50 contracts, with just over $5M left to sign Boeser and Goldy. :shock: So perhaps there's merit in the rumors of moving that Eriksson contract off the books. Personally, I think they ought to move on from Goldy as a sunk cost...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:19 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
EDIT: As of today, CapFriendly says that they are at 45/50 contracts, with just over $5M left to sign Boeser and Goldy. :shock: So perhaps there's merit in the rumors of moving that Eriksson contract off the books. Personally, I think they ought to move on from Goldy as a sunk cost...
Agreed re: Goldy. Don't think he makes the team as it stands in any event. And that means waivers.

Re: moving Eriksson contract off the books, do you mean via buyout?

Baertschi's health worries me. Wondering if they are trying to move him as well.

Canucks also add to front office and hire Ryan Biech from Canucks Army in the role of Video Analyst, Hockey Analytics. Nice move.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:17 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I think once they've paid Eriksson his bonus on July 1 ($4M), his base salary is only $1M per season, so it's conceivable that they could offload him while retaining some part of his salary, if needed, to make it work for the other team. Making the roster spot available for one of the young guys (Gaudette, MacEwen) and whatever they can save in cap space may be worth the headache. I'd like to see them move his or Sutter's contract.

I think GMJB is hopeful that they can get something for Goldy, otherwise, why qualify him at all? Perhaps they are thinking that they may be able to bump up his value at the beginning of the year by playing him with Boeser and Petterson, but long-term, I think Green has pretty much squeezed as much value out of Goldy as we've seen. They may be waiting until after training camp to see how this shakes out and if anyone else (MacEwen, Gadjovich) outplays him for his roster spot.

I'd rather they keep Baertschi; his health is a concern but he's shown some chemistry with Horvat and perhaps aligned with Ferland or Pearson to start the season, they can gel as a line.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:14 pm 

Buyout window is closed now, you can't pay out a bonus and then buy out the remainder of the contract. They would've had to do so on June 15th.

It would've been an expensive option anyway since the cap hit the first two years would've been well over $5 million, and then in year three drops to just over 3, but then that's precisely when Pettersson is up for a new deal.

But, once again, Benning has an option in front of him and does nothing, leaving him with fewer as he lets this situation drag on and on. He'll probably have to flip a fairly valuable asset in order to sucker someone into taking that deal.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:22 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
But, once again, Benning has an option in front of him and does nothing, leaving him with fewer as he lets this situation drag on and on. He'll probably have to flip a fairly valuable asset in order to sucker someone into taking that deal.
He's already stated on the record that he doesn't want to add an asset, or at the very least a roster player. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:27 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
He's already stated on the record that he doesn't want to add an asset, or at the very least a roster player. :roll:

Well, then I guess we'll see who blinks first between Benning and Boeser.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:32 pm 

To answer your question re: Eriksson & Benning - yes they've talked. Heard JP Barrie on TSN and by the sounds of it the Eriksson camp are now "working together" with Canuck management towards a resolution to get him out of Vancouver. The days of submitting a trade request and waiting on management to strike a deal are long gone so reading between the lines, the Canucks brass waited far too long to address after Eriksson's comments about Green.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:47 pm 
Old Man of the Post

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks ... n-contract

"Nobody will be lining up for Eriksson at any dollar value if he’s no better than a fourth-line forward. And given the team trading for him knows they’d be doing the Canucks a huge favour, there’s no way Benning is offloading him for free."

So, while it's fun and easy to say, "Dump Eriksson, NOW!" No one will do it for free, especially if there's limited on ice value in him to begin with...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:52 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Nice write-up here... https://canucksarmy.com/2019/07/16/canu ... ransition/

Now with Botch gone, I've decided to not renew my Athletic sub... Harman Dayal is good, and Wyatt Arndt is ok, but not worth the annual sub...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:23 pm 
Big in Japan

Brandon Sutter have anything left in the tank?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:47 am 

E.L. wrote:
Good on the PK and defensive zone starts so there is some perceived value there but would need to play limited minutes and with zero offensive upside like ever, he is on the wrong side of 30. I suppose the "Sutter" name carries some value if that's of any value at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:57 am 
Big in Japan

Logical Progression wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Good on the PK and defensive zone starts so there is some perceived value there but would need to play limited minutes and with zero offensive upside like ever, he is on the wrong side of 30. I suppose the "Sutter" name carries some value if that's of any value at all.

I ask because I do think Bergevin would be swayed by the Sutter brand, and he's got cap space to burn. Habs could always use right handed faceoff help, but a zero offence guy is too much of a liability 5x5. Then again, if Benning is feeling a budgetary squeeze he's certainly not showing it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:22 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I think Bergevin could get Sutter on the cheap if he wanted; there's still Boeser to re-resign. With Beagle (righty) in the fold and Horvat being a lefty, Sutter is a luxury. JT Miller and Gaudette could fill-in at 3C, in case of injury to either Horvat or Beagle.

I think Sutter still has something left, certainly has something to prove. He's still a better than average PKer (elite was one view I read recently), and perhaps with a better wingers should contribute more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:01 pm 

Mike Gillis turned up at a coaches conference recently. The guy has been working hard at studying the game since getting canned by the Canucks.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mik ... l-manager/

It appears he's not really looking for a GM role, but rather someone who looks at the organization as a whole from top to bottom. Some fascinating stuff from him in both this article and a recent NHL Radio interview. He'd be one hell of a pickup by a team.

He said he's read Tape to Space, Ryan Stimson's book on an analytical approach to modern hockey tactics. I bought it myself but am only just now reading the beginning.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:34 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Mike Gillis turned up at a coaches conference recently. The guy has been working hard at studying the game since getting canned by the Canucks.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mik ... l-manager/

It appears he's not really looking for a GM role, but rather someone who looks at the organization as a whole from top to bottom. Some fascinating stuff from him in both this article and a recent NHL Radio interview. He'd be one hell of a pickup by a team.

He said he's read Tape to Space, Ryan Stimson's book on an analytical approach to modern hockey tactics. I bought it myself but am only just now reading the beginning.
Yes been following this as well. Was hoping he'd fit into a new organizational structure in Vancouver. I was always a fan of hIs approach and Intellect, but sadly it seems that shipped has sailed with ownership.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:38 pm 

Interesting scenario regarding the Loui Eriksson quandry posited by newly minted Athletic staff writer Boy Genius. The deal mirrors the logic of the Clarkson-Horton trade between the Leafs and Jackets and involves of all people Ryan Kesler and LITR -- and the assumption that he has played his last NHL game. Rest assured waaay over the heads of Benning and Co. Great read though.

https://theathletic.com/1093241/2019/07 ... can-do-it/
Quote:
The options are pretty slim in this vein, but the Canucks can still try applying a similar approach. Enter the Anaheim Ducks with Ryan Kesler. Kesler’s already announced that he’ll miss all of next season with injury and it’s very unlikely he’ll ever play in the NHL again. Most big contracts nowadays are insured by 80 percent if they get put on LTIR which means teams only have to pay 20 percent of the salary. This means that insurance will cover $16 of the $20-million left on Kesler’s contract — leaving the Ducks to pay $4-million out of their own pocket for Kesler to sit on the sidelines.

Eriksson, meanwhile, has $9 million in total salary left on his contract. If the Canucks retain 50 percent of his deal and traded him to Anaheim for Kesler, the Ducks would be on the hook for just $4.5-million total with Eriksson. Just like with Columbus, they’d go from wasting cash on someone who wouldn’t play for them to virtually spending the same money on someone who’ll at least suit up and contribute in the bottom six. For their part, the Canucks would create $3-million per year in cap space after retaining half the contract. Vancouver benefits more than Anaheim here considering that the Ducks would be taking on Eriksson’s reduced $3-million cap hit for three years, meaning the Canucks would likely need to add a sweetener, but I can’t imagine it being too high given the mutual benefit.

Quote:
This is a complex deal, so let me walk you through it to show how it would benefit each team. Starting with the Canucks, they’d immediately throw Kesler on LTIR which clears his cap hit. This would leave the Canucks with just Eriksson’s retained $3 million. Vancouver takes on the final year of Mike Condon’s contract as a favour to Ottawa as opposed to adding a sweetener. As such, for this year the Canucks would create $1.67-million in cap space. For the second and third years, they would save $3-million in cap compared to having Eriksson’s full contract.

The Senators benefit from this because while Condon’s cap hit is low if buried, he’s owed $3-million in cash. With Ottawa notorious for pinching pennies, they’d be spending just $1.8-million total in cash for retaining 20 percent of Eriksson’s contract — thereby saving $1.2 million for Eugene Melnyk.

Anaheim, meanwhile, would absorb Eriksson at just 30 percent value after salary retentions from both Vancouver and Ottawa. They’d be on the hook for $2.7 million in cash — a savings of $1.3 million compared to keeping Kesler if his contract is insured at 80 percent. Eriksson would be a lot more palatable for Anaheim cap wise as he’d only be on the books for $1.8 million annually.

Quote:
All told, here’s the benefit for each team.

Canucks create $1.67 million in cap space for 2019-20 and $3-million each for 2020-21 and 2021-22. They don’t have to give up any significant sweeteners to move the Eriksson contract
Senators save $1.2 million in cash by shedding Mike Condon
Ducks save $1.3 million in cash and get Eriksson for a reduced $1.8-million cap hit for which he’ll actually suit up and contribute in the bottom-six as opposed to not playing at all in Kesler’s situation
It’d be very strange optics wise for Kesler to be Canuck property again, but assuming this is it for his career, it shouldn’t matter.

There aren’t a ton of alternative LTIR contracts that the Canucks could pull a trade like this off with, but you can see that there is a potential solution to be had if they’re willing to get creative.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:43 pm 
Big in Japan

If a GM doesn't have someone who can tell them how to do these things, they should be fired on the spot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next