OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:28 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I wouldn't rule out Podkolzin making the jump to the NHL in one year's time. KHL deals are about as concrete as...well, concrete sprinkled with sugar.

I read on Twitter that after Hoglander was selected Podkolzin gave him a big hug and said "We're teammates now!!!" Don't know if that's true but if so...that's also a good sign.

The Myers deal is still dumb AF but it's not nearly as bad as the initial numbers being thrown out there.

I mean, what even is going on with Olli Juolevi at this point, is he still gonna need to stay in Utica?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:34 pm 

I may be getting the details wrong, but on NHL Radio someone said a Canucks employee was out on the golf course with Jake Gardiner and Auston Matthews not that long ago, and Gardiner said outright that he was headed to Vancouver. Obviously it didn't happen, so I wonder what ended up killing the deal. Was it the Luongo cap penalty? Either way, I think that Myers deal is ridiculously bad, sign Gardiner and just find a way to LTIR/dump the money you need to dump.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:54 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Either way, I think that Myers deal is ridiculously bad, sign Gardiner and just find a way to LTIR/dump the money you need to dump.
Myers could have gotten more had he gone elsewhere so he did leave some money on the table. Not that he deserves more but not sure why the contract is being touted as ridiculously bad. I am not saying the cap hit may not come back to bite them, but it's not the worst contract in the world either and their D needed a complete overhaul based on what was available in the open market. Should they taken a pass on Myers and opted to go all in on Gardiner instead? Maybe but in reality they need both. So would need to find a home for the Eriksson or Sutter contracts. No easy task -- but Benning and Co. are in a mess of their own making so good luck fuckers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:27 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Myers could have gotten more had he gone elsewhere so he did leave some money on the table. Not that he deserves more but not sure why the contract is being touted as ridiculously bad. I am not saying the cap hit may not come back to bite them, but it's not the worst contract in the world either and their D needed a complete overhaul based on what was available in the open market. Should they taken a pass on Myers and opted to go all in on Gardiner instead? Maybe but in reality they need both. So would need to find a home for the Eriksson or Sutter contracts. No easy task -- but Benning and Co. are in a mess of their own making so good luck fuckers.

Because he's the definition of a "meh" player. Statistically speaking, he's a traffic cone in the defensive zone. His offense is above average, but not earth-shattering, and he takes a team that IMO was too slow to begin with and makes them even slower. None of his plusses really offset his many minuses. Is it the worst contract in the world? No, but it's a lot of money and term for a mediocre blueliner to join Vancouver's growing pile of mediocre blueliners. The team would've been better off just keeping Hutton. At least he would've come cheap.

Right now I see the Canucks defensive corps as this:
One true impact player (Hughes)
One guy who is a shell of his former self, but that shell is still pretty good when healthy (Tanev)
A couple expensive fillers who leave a bit to be desired (Edler, Myers)
A young, but decent #4 guy who can play up in the lineup if needed...and it'll be needed (Stetcher)
Filler (Benn, Fantenberg)

The corps kinda reminds me of the Avs when they were in their rebuilding years when Tyson Barrie was just starting out and they had guys like Jan Hejda eating up big minutes. Awful? No. But that money could've been spent better elsewhere, or better yet, not spent at all. Maybe just admit you're rebuilding and move some of these parts for futures, like Tanev, however little return he may yield at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:14 pm 

I'll put it this way, Benning had quite a bit of cap space, has nearly blown it all and yet STILL hasn't signed his best pure scorer, overpaid for J.T. Miller, and somehow either couldn't or didn't even bother trying to dump Loui Eriksson's contract when there was opportunity to do so. It is truly astounding how he keeps failing to clear an increasingly lowered bar.

And if you think Eriksson's contract is a headache, just wait until Myers begins regressing even more than he already has.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:48 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
I'll put it this way, Benning had quite a bit of cap space, has nearly blown it all and yet STILL hasn't signed his best pure scorer, overpaid for J.T. Miller, and somehow either couldn't or didn't even bother trying to dump Loui Eriksson's contract when there was opportunity to do so. It is truly astounding how he keeps failing to clear an increasingly lowered bar.

And if you think Eriksson's contract is a headache, just wait until Myers begins regressing even more than he already has.
:Butch:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:58 pm 

Canuck's Army on offer sheeting Marner.

https://canucksarmy.com/2019/07/09/why- ... l-be-over/

the dilema is Sutter/Erikson contracts. I have no idea what it takes to get rid of those contracts. Would packaging Virtanen, Baertschi be enough, or would it be way over payment or insufficient?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:11 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Canuck's Army on offer sheeting Marner.

https://canucksarmy.com/2019/07/09/why- ... l-be-over/

the dilema is Sutter/Erikson contracts. I have no idea what it takes to get rid of those contracts. Would packaging Virtanen, Baertschi be enough, or would it be way over payment or insufficient?

Did I miss the part in that link where he talks about the J.T. Miller deal? Because if the price of an offer sheet that isn't some weak-ass Bergevin shit, it'll cost two firsts, and the Canucks have already committed one of them to Tampa.

I don't think it's remotely realistic even if they somehow had the picks, because they'd still need to clear way, way too much salary beforehand. Maybe before that idiotic Myers signing there was a possibility, but no way in hell now.

They'll likely have to clear at least one salary just do cover Boeser. Boeser AND Marner? Naw...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:28 am 

Pokecheque wrote:

Did I miss the part in that link where he talks about the J.T. Miller deal? Because if the price of an offer sheet that isn't some weak-ass Bergevin shit, it'll cost two firsts, and the Canucks have already committed one of them to Tampa.

Yep you missed it.

If they offer under 10, 568, 000 or less its two 1st round picks. The rules are if you have more than one pick a round, they must be able to offer them in the next 3 drafts, which they could as they have only one committed to TB.

As he points out, Toronto probably can't come close to $10.5 for Marner so it could get it done. So depending on what it takes to move Eriksson and Sutter it is definitely possible. And Marner is definitely worth 2-1st, a 2nd and 3rd.

What is intriguing about this is Benning has never done a real rebuild, just basically retooled and kept looking to make the playoffs. Therefore it maybe true his job is on the line, (rumour was Linden felt they needed a full rebuild and Benning claimed he could return them to playoffs without it and because of this Linden was pushed out) so trying to hit a home run seems like the best thing for him to do. However I don't think he's smart enough to pull this off but who knows?

And after seeing this, Bergevin was really really weak, Aho was definitely worth two 1st, a second and a third. Should have bumped his offer up to $10 million. Bergevin must have gotten greedy, thought he could get Aho on the cheap and Carolina wouldn't match.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:26 pm 

Cannots sign Ferland 4 years $3.5M AAV. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:23 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
What is intriguing about this is Benning has never done a real rebuild, just basically retooled and kept looking to make the playoffs. Therefore it maybe true his job is on the line, (rumour was Linden felt they needed a full rebuild and Benning claimed he could return them to playoffs without it and because of this Linden was pushed out) so trying to hit a home run seems like the best thing for him to do. However I don't think he's smart enough to pull this off but who knows?

*Ron Howard voice* He isn't.

But I'll also add that the Canucks quite possibly have an owner who's even more incompetent than Eugene Melnyk. That's the real problem.

Fogghorn wrote:
And after seeing this, Bergevin was really really weak, Aho was definitely worth two 1st, a second and a third. Should have bumped his offer up to $10 million. Bergevin must have gotten greedy, thought he could get Aho on the cheap and Carolina wouldn't match.

Based on Sara Civian's article in The Athletic, Bergevin and the Habs got duped in forcing Dundon and the Canes to give his client the contract he wanted, a shorter-term, heavily front-loaded contract that allows him to cash in big-time when it's up. Despite the nonsense the agent was putting out there, Aho had no intention of going to Montreal.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:35 pm 

My God...now they HAVE to move Eriksson no matter what.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:03 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
My God...now they HAVE to move Eriksson no matter what.
Yep and reports are that Eriksson is due a huge bonus on the 15th of July so nothing will get done prior to that. Apparently Benning will only do a straight player swap and retain some salary and will not entertain adding a roster player to the deal. That ain't likely going to get it done. Time to get creative there Jimbo -- not exactly a strong suit. Talk about playing with fire. Aquilini has had more patience with this management group amidst a franchise record of futility after they sack Gillis and Linden at the first whiff of dissension. What a time to be patient.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:42 am 

BTW, now would be an opportune time for someone to swoop in with an offer sheet on Boeser.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:16 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
BTW, now would be an opportune time for someone to swoop in with an offer sheet on Boeser.
Boeser isn't eligible to be offer sheeted thank god.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:38 pm 

Boeser isn't eligible to be offer sheeted thank god.

Huh. Didn't realize that. Thank goodness because otherwise I could see him panicking like Chiarelli did with Draisaitl.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:57 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Miller / Pettersson / Boeser
Pearson / Horvat / Ferland
Baertschi / Sutter / Eriksson
Leivo / Beagle / Virtanen

Edler / Myers
Hughes / Tanev
Benn / Stetcher

Markstrom / Demko

Depth: Schaller, Goldobin, Fantenberg
LTIR: Roussel
:beer:

A whole helluva lot better than last year's edition, assuming they can get the Boeser deal done. July 15 can't come soon enough; we'll see what GMJB can do to offload the Eriksson contract. CapFriendly says they can retain salary for up to three contracts if necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:48 pm 

BTW, I'm reading multiple places that teams regularly "leak" inflated contract numbers so that when the actual deal gets announced it doesn't look as bad.

Of course doing so suggests Jim Benning is media-savvy, and I'm not sure I can believe that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:27 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:

Edler / Myers
Hughes / Tanev
Benn / Stetcher

Markstrom / Demko

:beer:

A whole helluva lot better than last year's edition, assuming they can get the Boeser deal done. July 15 can't come soon enough; we'll see what GMJB can do to offload the Eriksson contract. CapFriendly says they can retain salary for up to three contracts if necessary.

Can see either Levio or Baertschi on 2nd line and not Pearson. He'll probably be on 4th line, and Eriksson better be 4th line as well. Virtanen deserves 3rd before him

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:50 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
the Cunning Linguist wrote:

Edler / Myers
Hughes / Tanev
Benn / Stetcher

Markstrom / Demko

:beer: A whole helluva lot better than last year's edition, assuming they can get the Boeser deal done. July 15 can't come soon enough; we'll see what GMJB can do to offload the Eriksson contract. CapFriendly says they can retain salary for up to three contracts if necessary.
Can see either Levio or Baertschi on 2nd line and not Pearson. He'll probably be on 4th line, and Eriksson better be 4th line as well. Virtanen deserves 3rd before him
Heard JP Barrie on TSN today talking about the Ferland deal. He also reps Eriksson and by the sounds of it, they are "working together" with Canuck management towards a resolution to get him out of Vancouver. The days of submitting a trade request and waiting on management to strike a deal are long gone. The situation has been become untenable.

Management offers a stupid deal. Player accepts offer for all the wrong reasons and goes onto become a complete abomination of a hockey player. He's been good defensively though and does the little things well.

All quite laughable. Maybe they'll bury him in Utica. That'd be a good look. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next