OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:24 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I don't know why you're laughing, Habs just did the Canes a huge favor.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:40 pm 
OTP Clown

Maybe.

Depends on how cheap they want to go and if Dunderhead is willing to pay out if pocket because the revenue from the team likely won't cover what's due in the first twelve months.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:15 pm 

Stinky wrote:
Maybe.

Depends on how cheap they want to go and if Dunderhead is willing to pay out if pocket because the revenue from the team likely won't cover what's due in the first twelve months.

They're going to match.

https://twitter.com/NHLCanes/status/1145786850424119297

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:46 pm 
OTP Clown

Pokecheque wrote:
Stinky wrote:
Maybe.

They're going to match.

https://twitter.com/NHLCanes/status/1145786850424119297

Again. Clown media guy with not lots of connection to direction. They might.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:52 pm 

Stinky wrote:
Again. Clown media guy with not lots of connection to direction. They might.

Even Turtleneck Don had some snarky remarks at his presser. They wouldn't be making those remarks unless they were reasonably certain Dundon was going to pay up. It's heavily frontloaded but the good news is once you pay all those bonuses the final years of that deal are pretty inexpensive.

That's a pretty weak offer sheet, well below what Aho and his camp were reportedly asking.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:16 pm 
OTP Clown

One million below what they were asking for. Two and a half more than the Canes offer.

The Canes had 29 million in revenue last year and lost 3.9 million.

Dunderhead has taken multiple losses lately and is notoriously cheap.

Between Marleau buyout and Aho's bonuses they are at their annual revenue before even getting started.

With Aho on the books, Canes are at 60+ million with seven players to sign.

To me the flippant cockiness is more an indication that they don't like where they are sitting.

It doesn't sound strong. It comes off as wounded and threatened to me.

As a.shrink I see male fear and cowardice all the time.

Donny was the portrait of it...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:13 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
I don't know why you're laughing, Habs just did the Canes a huge favor.

Because Dundon is a powder keg and why not fuck with him, even though he'll likely match?

I think the Habs are taking a calculated risk Dundon might not want to bite the bullet on this. It's unlikely, but why not try? We don't know what his cash flow is like, but we do know he's green as far as owners go. Aho found leverage as a pre-arb player and gets his wish of being a UFA at 26, so I don't know how much of a favour they're doing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:54 am 

It's not ideal, but IMO Aho still left a lot of potential money on the table. This still does the Canes a favor...unless Dundon doesn't match but then just shut down the Canes in that case.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:10 am 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
It's not ideal, but IMO Aho still left a lot of potential money on the table. This still does the Canes a favor...unless Dundon doesn't match but then just shut down the Canes in that case.

The AAV could've been higher, but the 21M is the maximum bonuses they could've put at the front end of the deal. 27M was their gate receipts last year, so Aho + Marleau buyout pretty much covers that.

Habs are betting on Dundon being a crazy person, and it's impossible to know what he's thinking right now. He could match out of spite or let him walk out of spite. The sensible decision would be to match, but was walking away from Lindholm negotiations and dealing him the first chance he got a sensible decision?

Even with Aho likely coming back, offer sheets have a tendency to erode trust between player and management. Habs just doing their conference rival a solid.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:20 am 
King of the One-Liner

The market is what it is and suspect the Canes where low balling Aho and now got trapped into a deal that walks him to UFA. This is a case of offer sheets doing their intended job, surprised it happened all the same.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:05 pm 
Big in Japan

Quote:
@ice_chip
Just talked to Tom Dundon. Says Canes will match the Aho offer. Announcement should come soon. Says Canes "love the player."

https://twitter.com/ice_chip/status/1146085867729166336

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:29 pm 

Good for them, by then he should be well ensconced as one of the best players in the league. And by then you'd think gates would be much, much more than what they are at present.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:43 pm 

Yep, Bergy and the Habs got played, Aho got the contract he wanted, and the Canes were forced to pay up a LOT of money up front.

https://theathletic.com/1060306/2019/07 ... his-point/

Quote:
“The question is, do you think you should believe an agent?” Dundon bluntly stated in a conference call Tuesday. “That’s a question, you guys can figure that out … but it is his right to use that leverage the CBA provides to get the most money out of us and that is all that happened.”

If it wasn’t “easy,” it doesn’t sound like the hardest thing he’s ever done.

“First of all I’m just relieved and that Sebastian is not going to have to worry about this anymore,” Dundon told reporters. “I think the other team got manipulated into believing some things that might not have been true. But the fact that you’re asking this question — if $20 million dollars is a lot for me or the Hurricanes? — maybe that leads to this situation. It’s not a concern. This sounds terrible but writing that check is no big deal.”

“The numbers weren’t that far off from where we were,” Waddell offered. “I think the agent felt that he wasn’t making progress he wanted to make and he was going to go out and sell that we weren’t in a position to match it. The offer sheet didn’t have anything in it that would make the team think twice about it.”

This situation is bound to take a few more interesting twist and turns. As it stands, it looks like a savvy (albeit unconventional) agent and misconceptions about Dundon and the Hurricanes market led the Canadiens to believe that they either couldn’t or wouldn’t match a relatively low offer sheet ask.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:08 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:52 pm 
Big in Japan

Offer sheet officially matched.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:25 pm 

Dundon sure is doing what he can to nickel-and-dime the Hurricanes back to irrelevance.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt ... 85707.html

Quote:
The general manager and team president doesn’t have a contract and interviewed for another job. Two assistant general managers and several scouts left and were not replaced. The goalie coach was allowed to leave, and a new one hasn’t been hired with a month to go until training camp.

Over the course of a summer where the Carolina Hurricanes have done solid business to upgrade their roster, their front office has already seen a considerable exodus. If Don Waddell departs the Hurricanes — the out-of-contract president and GM interviewed for the Minnesota Wild vacancy on Monday — it would not only be unprecedented, but also it would leave the Hurricanes rudderless at a moment when they desperately need to capitalize on the momentum of last spring’s playoff run.

Some of this turnover is natural and organic after the departures of previous owner Peter Karmanos and former general manager Ron Francis, accounting in particular for the exits of the two assistant GMs, Calder Cup-winning AHL coach Mike Vellucci and two-decade employee Brian Tatum, but owner Tom Dundon’s belief that everyone and everything is a replaceable part is being taken to an extreme this summer.

Dundon is apparently not quite as smart as he thinks he is, because in the very next paragraph, it's mentioned that he HAS to have a GM under contract by the end of the month.
Quote:
“Even if he had a contract I would let him interview, so what’s the difference?” Dundon said Tuesday. “It’s not going to stop somebody from doing whatever’s better for them. If they’re going to pay somebody more money, I’m not going to stop them. I told him he’s got to do what’s best for him.”

I guess working without a contract is nice if you're looking to thwart Duck Phillips, but otherwise...what the fuck!?

This one's a doozy...

Quote:
“I’m not going to pay what other guys pay GMs, so me having a contract with a GM doesn’t really help me,” Dundon said. “Don in essence has a contract. I already told Don, ‘I’m not going to fire you. If I did, I’d tell you a year in advance.’ My life’s pretty good. I want people to do what’s best for their life. If this is what’s best for Don, the Hurricanes will be fine.”

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:48 pm 
Big in Japan

Maybe he's on to something? A revolving door of GMs under temporary work contracts. Each one chiseling the rock that is the Carolina Hurricanes roster. Some of these GMs are one-trick ponies, so maybe let them come in, do their one big move, then dump them before they grow stale.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:56 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Maybe he's on to something? A revolving door of GMs under temporary work contracts. Each one chiseling the rock that is the Carolina Hurricanes roster. Some of these GMs are one-trick ponies, so maybe let them come in, do their one big move, then dump them before they grow stale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_of_Coaches

Quote:
In announcing the experiment, Wrigley argued, "Managers are expendable. I believe there should be relief managers just like relief pitchers."

So maybe this should be called the "College of General Managers."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:42 pm 

I guess Dundon finally came to his senses.

https://twitter.com/MSmithCanes/status/ ... 6835509248

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:26 pm 

Justin Williams announces he is "stepping away" from hockey for the time being, just stopping short of announcing his retirement.

I'm guessing he'll sit out long enough to avoid training camp and then jump back in for one last run.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next