OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:06 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Whoa. WHOA. WHHHHHOOOOOOOAAAAAA.... :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:45 pm 

Well...HOLY SHIT.

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-maple-leafs- ... -1.1331570

Good news, Kadri doesn't have to change jersey numbers!

So now the lineup I just posted has gone to shit. I don't even know who goes where, but I bet, as others are already speculating, that Bednar may break up the top line and pair Landeskog with Kadri. Oh man, that'd be a handful for other teams.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:16 pm 
Big in Japan

Kadri got a little buried in Toronto, so I'm interested in seeing how he flourishes away from Toronto and away from the big guns. This might be a little more his speed. Hopefully his dad doesn't tag along (oh wait, you already had ROR so you know what it's like).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:13 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Seems like TO got the better of the trade but I am not a fan of Kadri and so guess a little biased -- he is definitely built for a deep playoff run when he's not doing stupid shit. Love Barrie's game as a puck moving offensive d-man. Whoa that Leafs team is looking stacked.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:50 am 

Based on what Joe said in his presser...

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Jost - Kadri - Burakovsky
Wilson - Compher - Donskoi
Nieto - Bellemare - Calvert

Girard - Johnson (Joe thinks he might be ready to start the season)
Zadorov - Makar
Connauton - Byram/Barbario/Graves

Cole factors in come December. No idea what the Avs will do with Kamenev now, I think his already-shaky health record is giving them pause.

Biggest question mark is, of course, Burakovsky. Dude had talent around him and elite coaching and still couldn't put it together, so I'm not necessarily optimistic, but hopeful a fresh start has him finally figure it out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:12 pm 

Quote:
Asked Joe Sakic how they plan on reining in Kadri come playoff time (no suspensions):

"Yeah. Don't play Boston".

https://twitter.com/VicLombardi/status/ ... 4866991107

That's a sound plan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:15 pm 
Old Man of the Post

It pains me to say this, but I really like what Avs have done these last few days. Getting Byram was a no-brainer but full marks for getting good value in return for Barrie.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:55 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
It pains me to say this, but I really like what Avs have done these last few days. Getting Byram was a no-brainer but full marks for getting good value in return for Barrie.

I know for a fact it don't pain you as much as you let on. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:25 am 
King of the One-Liner

Is Rantanen not a RFA? Read and have heard so much talk about all the coveted RFA class but nothing on this guy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:40 am 

Hounsy wrote:
Is Rantanen not a RFA? Read and have heard so much talk about all the coveted RFA class but nothing on this guy.

Yeah it's kinda interesting we've been talking about offer sheets to Marner and Aho but virtually nothing on Rantanen. I guess everyone saw how much cap space Colorado has and they said "Naw, that's okay." :lol:

Sure hope this doesn't turn into a protracted negotiation that runs into camp. I'd be thrilled if he signed a max deal, but I'm guessing he's aiming for 5 years like everyone else.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:36 pm 

All the best, Tyson. He was a fan favorite his entire time in Denver, and the marketing/PR staff definitely loved him since he was game for all kinds of silly shenanigans.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:01 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Yeah it's kinda interesting we've been talking about offer sheets to Marner and Aho but virtually nothing on Rantanen. I guess everyone saw how much cap space Colorado has and they said "Naw, that's okay." :lol:

I'd guess that teams have already asked his agent and he's said, no, my client isn't interested in signing elsewhere. And why would he? Colorado is on the upswing, and building a solid team around that first line... Bastards.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:28 pm 

Nikita Zadorov signs before the arbitration deadline. Just a one-year deal, the $$$ hasn't yet been reported.

He posted this on his IG 10 minutes ago, an image of a hit on Jack Eichel he got penalized for. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:08 pm 

$3.2 million, and will still be RFA in 2020.

RFAs remaining: J.T. Compher, Ryan Graves, Andre Burakovsky, Vladislav Kamenev, and some big Finnish guy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:39 am 

Oh, FFS...

https://nypost.com/2019/07/07/nhl-playe ... ssion=true

What is with the Blue Jackets always being involved with the Avs' business!?

Anyhow, Greer's NHL career with the Avalanche was already hanging by a thread, this looks like the final reason they need to finally usher him out the door.

A lot of attention was paid to Greer since the pick used to select him was part of the Ryan O'Reilly trade. He's a viable scorer/power forward type at the AHL level but probably not much more than a 4th line grinder/fringe player in the NHL. Reportedly Patrick Roy lobbied to get him. Oh well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:51 pm 

Defenseman Ryan Graves signs a one-year, two-way deal that'll pay him $750,000 if he stays in the NHL. Unfortunately he isn't waivers exempt anymore so I hope he makes the team. He's just about the perfect 6/7 guy. Big, plays an aggressive game, has some holes defensively, but makes up for it with decent puckmoving ability and a cannon of a shot. Just hope the numbers game doesn't force him out, because he's actually one of the few guys who works better in the NHL than the AHL, and frankly is a better option than the oft-injured Mark Barberio.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:30 am 

Sven Andrighetto officially signs with Avangard Omsk of the KHL for two years, bringing his tenure with the Avalanche, and the NHL (for now at least) to a close.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:24 pm 

Jared Bednar gets a two-year extension. Which is a pretty big deal when you consider the way the Avs do business.

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/aval ... -308219356

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:24 pm 

Very interesting, I'll have to sit down and listen but Nazem Kadri did an interview for the latest 31 Thoughts podcast and explains the reason why he nixed the Calgary trade.

The trade to Colorado came after Kadri had exercised the 10-team, no-trade clause in his contract in order to block a potential deal that would have sent him to Calgary. Colorado was not one of the team’s on Kadri’s list.

Quote:
On the latest episode of 31 Thoughts: The Podcast, Kadri explained why he nixed the deal with the Flames.

“So what happened is they had a deal in place and they wanted me to move my no-trade clause,” Kadri told co-hosts Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek. “But you know, obviously, for me, it was no disrespect to Calgary or the Flames organization. I love their team and I love the direction they’re headed. I just figured that had I declined, I would have had a better opportunity of being a Maple Leaf next year and that’s really what it came down to. I wanted to play for the Leafs next year. I wanted to be a part of that. In declining that trade I had aspirations of being a Leaf and we know clearly that didn’t happen.

“They had other plans,” Kadri continued. “I’m just happy to be moving to a great city with a great team, a great group of guys. I’ve talked to everybody in the (Colorado) organization and they’re ecstatic to have me so it’s nice to be wanted.”

Kadri was also asked if he harbours any hard feelings as a result of the trade.

“I mean, I understand it’s a business,” he explained. “… For me, it’s about going in to next season with a chip on my shoulder. I know what I’m capable of and I want to just prove a point more than anything. So I’ll be looking to have a big year next year.”

People keep pushing this narrative that he nixed the trade to Calgary and approved it for Colorado but the truth of the matter is he didn't have a say in going to the Avs as they were not on his no-trade list. Now, we can argue why he included Calgary on that list, but whatever the case, it just appears that he didn't want to be traded at all and exercised that right. Now I'm wondering who Calgary was sending his way...I'm guessing Brodie, who is comparable to Barrie talent-wise but isn't a RHD.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:53 am 
King of Men

Can't say for 100% but I too am fairly certain it was Brodie.

I was going to post this in the Calgary forum but its Kadri and safe speak. Guess we'll just have to take him at his word...whatever the case thank God he isn't on the Flames! Barrie is better than Brodie anyway.

At least 2nd line scoring was addressed (sort of). Whether it works or not remains to be seen. Lots of teams seem to be able to make it with 2 lines and role players so at this point I would expect a playoff showing.

I wish someone from the local news would sit down and give Kadri some air time for the fans....they do it for the Nuggets.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next