OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Offseason 2019
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:07 pm 
King of Men

Let the dust settle and the angry people rant. It doesn't bother me that St Louis won. I like that team. Overall a good year to be a fan. It couldn't have gotten much easier for the Bruins this cup run. Rest assured this group won't get another crack at the cup.

That being said its time to take a look at this team. With a cap space of 15 Mil there are some decisions to make.

I like Torey Krug.....unfortunately we are nearing the end of Torey's contract...In 20-21 he is going to be 29 and the #1 DMan in Boston looking for a raise off of 5.2 Million.

Charlie McAvoy AND Brandon Carlo are RFAs this year and the Bruins need to sign both.

Chara is at the end of the line....very evident this run and this year.

Backes needs to be bought out.

Krejci possibly next offseason.

Clifton was a common target of my vitriol this post season (along with Pastrnak and Debrusk). Clifton is already 24 and not sure the Bruins should bother at this point. I'd rather have Kuhlman over Debrusk or Nordstrom but that's for next year.

This year we have to decide between Heinen (RFA) Acciari, Kampfer and Johansen both UFAs......might take a flyer on Heinen but the other guys can set sail.

Bruins need to start looking at replacing Rask and adding secondary scoring. This water can be navigated carefully...but Don Sweeney is at the helm so it could be unnecessarily treacherous. The Bruins would do well not to overpay heading into an impending NHL shitshow once again. But hey if Marner can be had..........or Krug can be dangled.......you never know.

Post subject: Re: Offseason 2019
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Such a weird frickin' season. I'm still not convinced Armstrong and Sweeney are good GMs, but yet there they were as the Last Execs Standing when all was said and done.

Sweeney is an interesting character. He's uber-conservative during the offseason usually. When he opts to make a move, it's usually at the deadline. And he made some good ones, they very nearly won him the Cup.

Cassidy has also apparently learned his lesson from his first disastrous foray as an NHL head coach. Good for him.

Doubt Boston does anything huge, but I'm guessing if they could find a way to divest themselves of David Backes, they would. My guess is they wait until after the inevitable lockout and then use an amnesty buyout on him. Unless expansion draft considerations force their hand...I'm not really sure what the timeline is on that, nor do I know if Backes has any sort of NMC clause in his contract.

I once described the Bruins as that golfer who has 2-3 horrible shots but makes up for it with one spectacular swing that puts him ahead. Apparently the B's will be okay despite that unbelievable whiff in the first round at the draft when Sweeney was just starting out (apparently they've admitted they just plain fucked up there) because they hit so very well with guys like McAvoy and Pastrnak. Still...imagine what kind of shape they'd be in if they didn't make those dumb moves.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:12 am 
King of Men

:lol: Well Don Sweeney won GM of the year. I suppose those deadline moves did help....and of course Tampa and others losing early didn't hurt.....

Go Don!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:06 pm 
King of Men

Oh for the love of pete they resigned Connor Clifton. 1 Mil a year for 3 years?

Also Brett Ritchie from Dallas and a homegrown guy from Providence Ryan Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:12 am 
King of Men

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/bru ... -contract/

Ugh...2.8 Million a year is a bit high. McAvoy and Carlo still pending.

PROJECTED CAP SPACE : $7,353,334

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:01 am 
Big in Japan

harmfuljays wrote:
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/bruins-re-sign-forward-danton-heinen-two-year-contract/

Ugh...2.8 Million a year is a bit high. McAvoy and Carlo still pending.

PROJECTED CAP SPACE : $7,353,334

Not enough space for two long-term deals, but bridge deals maybe?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:30 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

If they somehow convince David Backes to make a trip to Robidas Island, they'll likely have enough cap space to bridge both guys. Otherwise, they probably gotta make a move, not sure what though.

The Bruins are so confounding. They sign two of their three best players to bargain deals and then sign awful contracts for guys like Backes and the oft-injured David Krejci. And they're lucky they were able to dump the even-dumber contract of Matt Beleskey last year as part of the Rick Nash rental.

Their window is closing as guys like Bergeron, Rask, and Marchand enter their 30s (and their captain is well into his 40s but he doesn't age so it doesn't matter), so they probably got maybe 1-2 years to get that Cup before a retool/rebuild is on the horizon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:21 am 
King of Men

Well, you are far more optimistic then I am. Last year, as I put above, couldn't have lined up any better for them to win one last cup with the old guard. There are far better teams in the East that are on upward trends. While I don't expect the drop off to be sudden I do expect the Leafs to leapfrog them this year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:44 pm 
Big in Japan

USA Today reporting that Bruins mgmt hasn't spoken to Torey Krug, who's a UFA in a year. They're knee deep in trying to sign McAvoy and Carlo. I suspect the former will be expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:59 am 
King of Men

And that's done. Bruins quietly sign McAvoy for 3 at 4.9 and Carlo for 2 at 2.85. Very important.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:50 pm 
Big in Japan

harmfuljays wrote:
And that's done. Bruins quietly sign McAvoy for 3 at 4.9 and Carlo for 2 at 2.85. Very important.

The Bruins were able to save a little now with short term deals. Works for them because in the coming years they'll gradually have vets retire and come off the books, so these guys will have their chance to get paid later on.