OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:41 pm 
Big in Japan

Bodies are starting to move out of Minny. First Nino and now Coyle.

They're not done, either. I think Fenton has identified the guys he wants out and is now going to start changing team culture.

That being said, Donato and Rask isn't exactly a great haul, but the Wylde haven't had cap room in forever, so they might be able to do something.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:02 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I'm not quite sure what to make of Paul Fenton. The Rask-for-Nino deal was hot garbage from the start, the Coyle deal wasn't terrible, and then he says stuff like this.

https://twitter.com/ChristopherHine/sta ... 3404365826

Quote:
Fenton referred to the trade putting people “on notice.” Then tried to clarify what he meant, saying “I guess I’m using words that probably shouldn’t have been said in the fashion ... I’m not putting any one particular person on notice, or the team on notice.”

Dude, make up your mind. :lol:

He is also a STRICT adherent to the asinine rule that you never give injury updates of any kind for fear of the opposition targeting players, which guys like Ken Hitchcock have said is complete bullshit.

He's in a nearly-untenable situation right now, where he has an aging lineup built around two of the worst contracts in NHL history, limited cap room, a franchise goalie who appears to be in a serious decline, and the organization's best prospect doesn't look like he's in a huge rush to head to North America anytime soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:47 pm 

They're not mathematically eliminated, but losing to the Coyotes in a 4-0 shutout all but puts the Wild Boys' dwindling playoff hopes on ice.

I imagine Boudreau doesn't survive this, even though I think he got a lot more out of this roster than most could have.

Fans don't appear to be thrilled with Fenton's moves thus far, but like his predecessor, there just wasn't much wiggle room. That Nino-for-Rask trade is looking really, really bad right now though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:13 pm 
Big in Japan

Wild sign Clarkson F Nico Sturm to a one-year deal. The amazing thing about the Hobey finalist is he's German, but not related to Marco. I find that hard to believe.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:43 pm 

:flashfap: :flashfap: :flashfap: :flashfap: :flashfap: :flashfap:

https://twitter.com/Account4hockey/stat ... 2975635458

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:02 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:

Funny enough, David Poile replaced Fenton with Brian Poile, his son. So Fenton didn't invent the circle jerk, but Fenton Jr's CV is a little light for the gig.

The Wild have been pretty consistently average since their inception, but I see a few lottery years coming up as Koivu, Parise and Suter rapidly age.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:57 pm 

It appears the Wild have a few too many forwards now, and Boudreau has admitted he doesn't yet know how it's all going to fit together.

My best guess on opening night for Minny...

Zucker - Staal - Zuccarello
Parise - Kunin - Fiala
Greenway - Koivu - Donato
Foligno - Eriksson Ek - Hartman

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Dumba
Seeler - Pateryn

Dubnyk
Stay-Lock

That leaves, you guessed it, Victor Rask on the outside looking in. Fenton would dump one of his first (and already one of the worst in team history) moves if he could, but I can't see that one happening. The only other alternatives are to leave him a very expensive press box occupant or play him and hope to God he proves to be of enough value to finally unload him at the deadline.

Also, this is the final year of Jared Spurgeon's deal. Very similar type of defender to Tyson Barrie, though I'd argue he's better overall, but he's also a bit older at 29. Depending on how the year goes, they could deal him.

Fenton is one very strange guy. Some of his quotes from the draft and free agency day are quite something...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:09 pm 
Big in Japan

Fenton already fired. Parise basically shat all over team management in an Athletic article earlier in the week, gotta think that played a part.

I say burn em down and re-christen them the North Stars.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:12 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Fenton already fired. Parise basically shat all over team management in an Athletic article earlier in the week, gotta think that played a part.

I say burn em down and re-christen them the North Stars.

I might actually like them if they switched back to the original Minnesota franchise's name and uniforms.

As an Avs fan, I was wholly on-board with Fenton's moves and vision...I'm disappointed they decided to wise up, however weird they are with the timing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:44 pm 

I think I read that Pens Assistant GM Bill Guerin is the frontrunner.

I'm glad it's not likely Ron Hextall if this is true--that guy IMO is going to be a good GM for whatever organization gives him another shot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:15 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
I think I read that Pens Assistant GM Bill Guerin is the frontrunner.

I'm glad it's not likely Ron Hextall if this is true--that guy IMO is going to be a good GM for whatever organization gives him another shot.

Guerin gets the gig. Has been a next-in-line guy for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:13 pm 

Great pic to make the announcement with...

Honestly, not sure this makes any difference. Even Fenton came to the conclusion this team needs a major overhaul, he just went about it in the clumsiest way possible. If Leipold wanted someone to finally get this franchise on the right track he'd have hired Ron Hextall. But that would've entailed a long and painful rebuilding process.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:21 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Great pic to make the announcement with...

Honestly, not sure this makes any difference. Even Fenton came to the conclusion this team needs a major overhaul, he just went about it in the clumsiest way possible. If Leipold wanted someone to finally get this franchise on the right track he'd have hired Ron Hextall. But that would've entailed a long and painful rebuilding process.
Rookie GM replaced by another Rookie GM. Good luck with that. Yes and who wants a rebuild in this business other than fans? Precisely the reason why they didn't hire Hextall.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:18 pm 

It's actually pretty astounding how close they got despite having nothing but horrible GMs their entire existence.

As for Billy, I really don't know if he's good or not. if he had anything to do with Rutherford deciding that Erik Gudbranson and Jack Johnson were quality pickups, then I'm thinking not, but who knows.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:19 am 

Someone posted this on HF in response to the press release photo :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:02 pm 
Big in Japan

Two years, 6M for Kevin Fiala.

If he scores 20-25 goals like he did two years ago, I think they'll be pleased.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:43 pm 
Big in Japan

Seven years, $7.575M AAV for Jared Spurgeon.

That's a lot of term tied to a near 30-year-old defenceman who's 5'9. And he didn't even need to take a discount!

This team continues to ride or die with its vets. Parise, Suter, Zuccarello and Spurgeon are here till 2024.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:02 pm 

Oof...if ever there was a signal to blow it all up...

https://sports.yahoo.com/minnesota-wild ... 22487.html

This time methinks they actually will be successful in trading him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:59 pm 
Big in Japan

Hopefully this team will finally get the rebuild it needs. Off goes Zucker to Pittsburgh for Addison and a 1st. Maybe they can flip Galchenyuk again, because they only got him to offset the salaries.

Parise, Suter, Spurgeon and Zuccarello all have NMC's, so maybe they get moved in the offseason.

Otherwise, they could find takers for Staal, Foligno, Pateryn, Hartman, Dumba.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:57 pm 

Read the Russo interview with Boudreau and his wife this morning, apparently the news did not go over well with Bruce. Guerin went into his office and closed the door (that's when he said he knew) and told him, Boudreau had a pretty terse and short exchange with him, and stormed out. He knew he was likely going to get fired, but thought he'd cleared enough hurdles to get to the end of the season and finish out his contract.

God I hope he doesn't end up in Dallas. Hate it when a coach I like ends up with a team I don't like.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next