OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Official NBA thread
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:01 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

OMG...you can actually *hear* Jusuf Nurkic's leg breaking. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

https://deadspin.com/blazers-jusuf-nurk ... 1833564641

I so wanted to use that "Oh Snap" Fry emoji that never gets used but...I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Extra props to the fucking idiot ref who could have walked literally ANYWHERE else, but decides to brush past his newly-broken leg.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:01 pm 

Bummer. Nuggets blow a 17-point lead at home in Game 7 and as a result, the Portland Trail Blazers advance to face the Golden State Warriors for the Conference Final.

So much missed opportunity. The Nuggs struggled mightily against the Houston Rockets but played relatively well against the Warriors this season, and they might not have Durant for the next round. The door was wiiiiiiiiiiiiide open, and they couldn't walk through. Hope they make some real changes to their frontcourt (apart from that Jokic fella) and find some way, ANY way, to improve their overall shooting. It simply wasn't good enough when it mattered the most.

I guess that makes me a Toronto Raptors fan for the remainder of these playoffs. Kawhi hit one of the craziest game-and-series-winners I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:47 pm 
OTP Clown

Pokecheque wrote:

I guess that makes me a Toronto Raptors fan for the remainder of these playoffs. Kawhi hit one of the craziest game-and-series-winners I've ever seen.

Welcome

:bandwagon:

Kawhi's shot was sooo amazing.

That game nearly killed me.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:32 pm 
OTP Clown

Woooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RAPTORS WIN!

GIANNIS IS FUCKING SOFF

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:22 am 
OTP Historian

Yeah I think I'll be watching me some basketball.

Toronto should be pretty glorious this series regardless of the outcome.

I didn't know much about superfan Nav except for his car commercials, but his story sounds pretty awesome and apparently he spends 300k+ per year on tickets for kids, mostly from poor and immigrant families. Amazing.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:48 am 
OTP Clown

Bosc wrote:
Yeah I think I'll be watching me some basketball.

Toronto should be pretty glorious this series regardless of the outcome.

I didn't know much about superfan Nav except for his car commercials, but his story sounds pretty awesome and apparently he spends 300k+ per year on tickets for kids, mostly from poor and immigrant families. Amazing.

Superfan is super rad.

Love that guy.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:40 am 

Well how 'bout that...

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:29 am 
OTP Historian

Tuned in for the end of the first half and ended up watching the entire 2nd half. Glad I did. Siakim was a beast.

Haven't watched any basketball unless it was a random game on at someone else's house in so long. Can anyone tell me how the quality of last night's game was relative to normal games?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:33 am 
OTP Clown

That was a sick game.

Raps dominated and didn't need the Klaw!

Stoked!

Now that hockey season is over, I'm so happy to have the NBA to pick up the slack!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:53 pm 

Steph Curry's old man played for the Raps?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:17 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Steph Curry's old man played for the Raps?

yep, two years. Step lived in Toronto, used to hang out at practice for the Raptors, even some footage of him around playing on court, he was good even then.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:26 am 
King of the One-Liner

https://www.tsn.ca/the-fan-who-shoved-k ... -1.1317596

Fan who is a partial owner shoves and swears at Lowery and gets $500,000 fine and one year ban. While it seems harsh for the degree of the shove but that said had Lowery done anything physical in response he is likely out for the series so I see why they need to come down hard on the guy as it could have been series altering.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:26 am 

On one hand, the shove really didn't seem as bad as they were making it out to be online when I finally saw it. On the other hand, that dude of all people should know better, completely inexcusable, even in the heat of the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:30 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

I am a pretty fair weather NBA fan. Tune in from around the Conference final onwards and usually catch AT MOST the 2nd half a game but really only the 4th quarter.

Used to be pretty hard core during the Magic and then Jordan era but am having trouble getting into this series. Don't have a dog in the fight mind you.

Has the perimeter game gotten boring? Is the game actually devolving? Refs also seem to have a heavy influence over the outcome and neither team seem particularly stacked, especially with all the injuries. Meh.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:12 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
I am a pretty fair weather NBA fan. Tune in from around the Conference final onwards and usually catch AT MOST the 2nd half a game but really only the 4th quarter.

Used to be pretty hard core during the Magic and then Jordan era but am having trouble getting into this series. Don't have a dog in the fight mind you.

Has the perimeter game gotten boring? Is the game actually devolving? Refs also seem to have a heavy influence over the outcome and neither team seem particularly stacked, especially with all the injuries. Meh.

Personally I think the game has gotten better in recent years. I just found the Shaq/Tim Duncan era unwatchable. Analytics has shown that you're better off shooting from distance than sending a big posting a guy up for a close-in shot. That's one big reason why the Warriors have been so dominant--they have the greatest pure shooter in NBA history playing for them. That's not to say big men are suddenly out of fashion. The Nuggets (who arguably have the best big man in basketball) posted the 2nd best record in the West and were one game away from the Conference Finals, but their shooting let them down at the worst possible moment. Meanwhile, Portland went crazy with their shooting. And I'm still mad about that because the Warriors completely curb-stomped the Trail Blazers and I don't think the Nuggets would have been swept...in fact they could've won that one, especially with Durant out.

Whatever the case, I won't be mad if the Warriors win again (I like Steph Curry a great deal, and Steve Kerr is a decent human on top of being a great coach) but I would like to see the Raps win it, as that would be historic and would make NBA GMs a lot bolder. Ujiri took a big, big chance this year and it may very well pay off.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:47 pm 
OTP Clown

Holy shit!

Just let Canada win you fucksticks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:53 am 
Big in Japan

Canada invented basketball and we've come to take it back!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:57 pm 
King of Men

:jerkbag: If you can't be with the one you love....love the one you're with.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:43 pm 

Congrats to the Raptors. What an amazing finish, way better than the damned SCF.

I like to see an ambitious GM's gambit pay off. Even if Kawhi leaves, it was worth it. Amazing run, and well-executed from start to finish.

Now we wait to see what happens with not only the Board Man, but also the guy who got him, Masai Ujiri. Toronto wooed him away from Denver years ago. I thought for sure Washington was going to do the same with Tim Connelly, but he decided to stay. No sooner did Toronto break out the champagne when a Woj-Bomb dropped saying Washington was now setting their sights on Ujiri with a massive offer of $10 MILLION per season to take over the Wizards. Are the Raps gonna pay out that much to keep him!?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:50 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Congrats to the Raptors. What an amazing finish, way better than the damned SCF.

I like to see an ambitious GM's gambit pay off. Even if Kawhi leaves, it was worth it. Amazing run, and well-executed from start to finish.

Now we wait to see what happens with not only the Board Man, but also the guy who got him, Masai Ujiri. Toronto wooed him away from Denver years ago. I thought for sure Washington was going to do the same with Tim Connelly, but he decided to stay. No sooner did Toronto break out the champagne when a Woj-Bomb dropped saying Washington was now setting their sights on Ujiri with a massive offer of $10 MILLION per season to take over the Wizards. Are the Raps gonna pay out that much to keep him!?

I thought I saw a tweet last night where someone said MLSE(Tanenbaum?) apparently just laughed it off and said he's staying in Toronto.

Gambits. Canned the reigning coach of the year to go with a rookie head coach. Then traded JV for Gasol. He went all in on what he believed needed to be done to win a championship. No treading water with Boston, Philly and Milwaukee rising in the East. And boy did it pay off.

I can't see him leaving right after winning. Dude's going to do everything in his power to keep Kawhi and if he can't I can see him facing down the challenge of trying to repeat without him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next