OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:06 pm 
King of the One-Liner

That is really my only complaint. Not a single A-lister got offed when the vast majority of everyone got offed.

But they had built the street cred that you watched it expecting someone significant(Well more than Mr Friendzone) was going to die. They just need to come back next episode and early at that and knock an A - lister off and all is forgiven and unpredictable again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:13 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
That is really my only complaint. Not a single A-lister got offed when the vast majority of everyone got offed.

But they had built the street cred that you watched it expecting someone significant(Well more than Mr Friendzone) was going to die. They just need to come back next episode and early at that and knock an A - lister off and all is forgiven and unpredictable again.

Yeah, its lost that element. Maybe because it's not following books anymore.

Ser Jorah was always going to die protecting Daenerys. Lyanna Mormont was going to do something absolutely badass if they were going to kill her off. Theon was looking for redemption.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:52 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I wonder if any of this has affected how GRRM is going to write out The Winds of Winter or if he's had the story pretty much plotted out from the get-go. From what I understand he told the showrunners how he intends to end it all, so we'll see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:29 am 
King of Men

Fogghorn wrote:
Season 6 was so good and season 7 just annoyed me. They finally started doing really stupid TV just too move the plot forward.

Example 1: The zombies chasing Bran out of the tunnel after he flees the Three Eyed Raven. They were running on the ceiling and walls at full speed. Like something out of Brad Pitts "World War Z", if they can run on a ceiling why can't they run up an ice wall?

Example 2: This one really grates me. When Jon Snow goes beyond the wall to capture a zombie they meet a bear. Wildlings get killed. What happens when a human gets killed by a zombie, they turn into zombies. Mission completed. Tie up a dead body and head for home but nope they have to move forward and temp the whole zombie army and lose a dragon in the process.

The story lines are definitely lesser and at time aggravatingly stoopid now that they have left GRRM's books behind. And when was the last time they killed off anyone we cared about. GRRM had no hesitation about killing Ned and Rob, that made the story unexpected and captivating.

Too invested in the series too quit now but if it been this way in the first couple seasons I'd never have gotten this far.

Hounsy wrote:
I've read a lot of fantasy series over the years and find they often have an issue of closing out the story. They often leaving plot holes and have characters go out of character or make ridiculous decisions to help rush a necessary end. The last few episodes of GOT have me thinking this could be falling into that trap. Maybe it's just two episodes and it is nothing, maybe it is Martin not fully setting the course but something seems a little off to me this season and the last two episodes specifically.

Sigh.....yes this seems to be playing out.

I had to watch twice to see if I was truly disappointed.....yep.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:13 am 
King of the One-Liner

They set her up to be power hungry okay, but in no way did they set her up to make the jump she made.

weak.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:45 pm 
King of Men

Hounsy wrote:
They set her up to be power hungry okay, but in no way did they set her up to make the jump she made.

weak.

Its kind of like Anakin killing younglings............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBbQg8r8tdc

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:23 pm 
King of Men

ha looks like I wasn't the only one to arrive at that comparison!

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/13/1861 ... acre-recap

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:08 pm 
King of the One-Liner

That last article touched on it. Her going mad queen is a good idea but they failed to give it any build or development and it just feels clumsy and forced.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:24 am 

I personally thought the episode was good despite the fact that yeah, they could've hinted at Dany's fall a bit better.

I like the fact they're not glorifying warfare in any way, which is in tune with what GRRM wanted. Don't make it gallant or good, clean, fun. This is war, completely bloody, corrupt, and horrible.

I really don't mind this season. I can see why people are taking umbrage but it's not bothering me, but I am a late arrival to the phenomenon and didn't read the books.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:29 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:

weak.

Yeah, when she started and she just like, strafed the entire city...I was expecting her to hit Cersei directly. Just killing the entire city in front of Cersei seems totally pointless...she doesn't give a flying fuck about the people in the city. Reminds me of when they had Cat Stark kill Walder Frey's wife even when he didn't care. I guess that's madness...pointless, nonsensical killing.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:21 pm 
King of the One-Liner

The stuff looks spectacular no denying that. I doubt a TV show has ever had such visual effects through so much of the episodes as this season.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:58 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
The stuff looks spectacular no denying that. I doubt a TV show has ever had such visual effects through so much of the episodes as this season.

Holy hell the shot of the Cleganes fighting on the stairs with the dragon flying by. Perfection.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:46 am 

Well...there ya have it. I'm fine with the ending. Not thrilled. Fine though.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:27 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Well...there ya have it. I'm fine with the ending. Not thrilled. Fine though.

Me too. What else where they supposed to do with an hour and a half? Seriously the best TV series ever made.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:44 pm 

There really was no way the ending could have finished in a satisfactory fashion, so many epic, seminal moments, like the Red Wedding, the Red Viper fighting The Mountain, the Starks reuniting, Daenerys emerging from the flames with her dragons, etc. Nothing was ever going to top that, and I'm kinda glad they chose not to do so.

It's funny, someone asked if any TV show has ever finished with a worthy finale, and it's hard to find them. Even my two favorite shows of all time, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and Battlestar Galactica, ended on kinda/sorta duds. Six Feet Under is still the best series finale I've ever seen, but the series itself was at times uneven.

I think the one show that had me hook, line, and sinker from beginning to end, and still somehow finished with flourish in a BIG way while also remaining deep and poignant...I'm almost embarrassed to admit, was the new Voltron series on Netflix. It really was a masterwork of science fiction that catered to old fans like me who remembered the old TV series (which hasn't aged well at all) and new, much younger fans who just wanted something fun.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:14 pm 
OTP Historian

The various Futurama endings were perfection.

The Office was fantastic.

The Wire was depressing(Dookie's was absolutely heartbreaking) but still great and appropriate.

But yeah, I'm good with this ending. I think Dani's demise was a guarantee but a question of who/how. Jon Snow still questioning if he did the right thing was appropriate for his character and his end was pretty surprising but pretty perfect. Everything was basically in it's right place. The scene with the small council was great.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:05 pm 

regarding strong series endings. MASH, The Big Bang Theory, definitely The Wire, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Soprano's. It can happen.

The GoT went sideways for me when it ran out of GRRM material. The focus changed from a sociological drama (such as The Wire) to the typical Hollywood psychological drama. The writers wrote in the style they knew and were lost without Martins structure.