OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:48 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Guarantee ya the Leafs fans who felt it necessary to hold a "John Tavares Day" after he got booed outta Nassau would've been almost as vicious to him had he spurned both the Isles AND Leafs to sign with the B's.

Boy that would've been interesting to see though. Would the Bruins have had the cap room or would they have had to dump a guy like Backes?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:12 pm 
Big in Japan

Plenty of progress in the regular season. Same postseason result.

As it stands, the team can't lock up Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson without moving something out. It's presumed Kadri will go. Brown is an easy 2M to dump.

The team will have to improve overall defence, especially on the right side, while losing Gardiner and Hainsey. They'd love to dump Zaitsev's deal as well.

Dermott and Rosen will need to step up. Can Sandin make the jump?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:24 pm 

https://twitter.com/TheFlintor/status/1 ... 7161037824

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:44 pm 
Big in Japan

Always aggressive on the international market, the Leafs picked up two Euro overagers considered to be NHL-ready, Russian winger Ilya Mikheyev and Finnish defenceman/Colorado College alum Teemu Kivihalme.

A cheap way to replenish the lineup card. Ozhiganov will head back to Russia, but he did give them a solid season at a low salary.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:55 pm 
Big in Japan

Defenceman Nikita Zaitsev, who for all his issues is still a 20-minute a night guy for the prickly Babcock, has asked for a trade and the team will oblige. The term on his deal is nuts (5 more years?) but the AAV is under 5M, which is good if you think he can play top-4 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:24 pm 

I personally think Dubas is making a mistake waiting one more season (or who knows, maybe half a season) to do what we all know he's gonna do. If Babs ain't your guy, then he ain't your guy. No way would Keefe stick around if there weren't some nudge-nudge-wink-wink assurances that he'd be next in line for the big bench.

Apparently it wasn't the ice time that NZ has taken umbrage with, it's how he's being used. He doesn't want to be a shutdown guy exclusively, which I can understand since he kinda struggles in that role.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:36 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Apparently it wasn't the ice time that NZ has taken umbrage with, it's how he's being used. He doesn't want to be a shutdown guy exclusively, which I can understand since he kinda struggles in that role.

He's kinda a half n half guy that infuriates coaches and fans: not enough offence to forgive the defence lapses, and not responsible enough to be a pure shutdown guy.

I feel like Mike Matheson is becoming that guy in Sunrise.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:52 pm 
King of the One-Liner

They are so thin on the right side he had to take minutes. The Leafs employ a for forward PP so only two D men are getting PP time and frankly I doubt another NHL team is anxious to add him in a deal to boost their PP.

That said if they can move him and Marleau with out having to tack on too much added value then it clears the cap issues they are looking at this off season.

The big question remains Marner. Now that guys don't take RFA deals and want the big contract now you have to consider moving him. As his youth offers no added value now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:09 am 
Big in Japan

Leafs making their cap moves, trading Nikita Zaitsev, Connor Brown and Michael Carcone to Ottawa for Cody Ceci, Ben Harpur and Aaron Luchuk, plus 3rd round pick in 2020. Ceci might go too, he's becoming a big ticket item in his own right.

Leafs re-sign Johnsson (3.4 AAV) and Kapanen (3.2 AAV).

They're also bringing in local boy Jason Spezza for his swan song. It suggests to me Kadri could still be in play?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:58 am 

Cody Ceci is a Leaf...man alive... :munch: And now longtime Sen Spezza is there too.

To make things even MORE fun, former Leafs Ron Hainsey and Tyler Ennis are signing in Ottawa. No one's gonna know who to pass to when they face off!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:26 pm 

:shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:17 am 

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Moore - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Petan - Spezza - Shore

Rielly - Barrie
Muzzin - Ceci (uh boy)
Dermott - Harpur

Andersen
Hutchinson

Things are not helped by the fact that Dermott won't be ready by the start of the season.

I just took that off of Daily Faceoff, so that may not be what Babs goes with, but that should be pretty close.

IMO the Leafs are a better overall team, but they haven't taken a massive step forward. The question is...do they need to?

Barrie is an elite puckmoving defenseman, though I'd caution Leafs fans on two things. One, he can move the puck amazingly well, but he does so by skating it and jumping into the play. His outlet passing is surprisingly not quite as good as you think it is. Not to say he's bad by any means, but he's not a tape-to-tape Ray Bourque-type of long passer. His downside...yeah, his defense leaves something to be desired. He's no Cody Ceci (heh heh heh) but there will be lapses. He picked up some bad habits from MacKinnon, and both of them improved their own-zone play this last season, probably at the behest of Bednar. So I imagine Babcock will see him take one lax d-zone shift and get that shit fixed but quick.

Listening to Stellick and Simmer now. Apparently Kadri was getting moved no matter what. Babs was done with him. The Leafs were so pissed off at him he had to get his own flight to the hearing in NY, according to them. :laugh:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:21 am 

As for Kerf, good utility guy, seriously underrated IMO. Can move the puck out of danger with speed, and is a very good passer. Shot leaves something to be desired, but he's not afraid to crash the net for rebounds/deflections or muck it up along the boards. Obviously dude ain't big so he can get pushed around a bit, and I don't think his 40+ point seasons are necessarily indicative of his production. He's a good 3rd line utility guy who can play up on a scoring line in a pinch, but IMO he's better at LW than at C.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:14 am 
King of the One-Liner

Pretty happy. My biggest want was Right D playing right D.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:23 pm 

I also think Liljegren will make the jump this season. There's another righty for ya.

Some are saying Sandin will force the issue, and that's a good problem to have but I'm guessing he won't be called up until very late, unless injuries really pile up.

One note of caution, Barrie can be a bit of a slow starter, so I imagine he'll incur the wrath of the Leafs faithful and then finish strong when it matters most. But the Leafs may struggle a little out the gate as new pieces settle in and Dermott sits on IR. But hey, The Great Dane never starts out well anyway so you guys are used to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:05 pm 

Stats folks used to be all about The Barrie, but they've soured on him in recent years. They seem to be A-OK with Kadri though.

I will say this: I'm not certain he's a huge upgrade on Gardiner. He's better offensively, but I don't think he's better defensively. Regardless, the damage was done with Gardiner and he was a goner, at least here they get the RHD they so coveted who can man the power play and play a top-four role.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:07 pm 
Big in Japan

Feels like a real hockey trade. Leafs needed defence and some cap relief, Avalanche needed a 2C and could take money on. Win-win.

Wonder what'll happen to Ceci and Kerfoot, both RFAs. Can the Leafs sign them or are they more trade fodder?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:13 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Feels like a real hockey trade. Leafs needed defence and some cap relief, Avalanche needed a 2C and could take money on. Win-win.

Wonder what'll happen to Ceci and Kerfoot, both RFAs. Can the Leafs sign them or are they more trade fodder?

Someone on HF called Kerfoot "Ryan Spooner 2.0." I'll admit there's some reason for concern there when you observe Spooner's career. He too had some very promising years where he put up some good points and snagged a decent contract out of it, which proceeded to get passed around last season like a game of hot potato, ending a few days ago in a buyout.

Kerf is likely filing for arbitration and I think he stands a chance of making around $4 million, which IMO is a bit much, but given his numbers the last two seasons I think he's got a case. Hopefully Dubas can somehow convince him to maybe take that number and stretch it out over a couple of seasons.

As for Ceci, I think the moment KD gets a shot at dumping him safely, he'll take it.

They really only need Kerf for this upcoming season, if he gets dealt afterwards, no biggie.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:07 am 
King of the One-Liner

For the mess Dubas had to navigate this off season so far very happy with the results. Remains to be seen what happens with Marner, but after Matthews and Nylander this seems to be his weakness, dealing with his own guys. After Aho I see no reason to give Marner anything over 9 on five years and 9.5 if longer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:56 pm 

Marner is trying to reset the market, or he's waiting on someone like Rantanen to do so. No one wants to be first.

IMO the market value for an elite winger was set by Nikita Kucherov, so take that number and do with it what you will. If Marner truly thinks he should get Matthews money, then he should be dealt.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next