OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:43 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Is PK still a top talent? You western folks see him more often than me.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:07 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Is PK still a top talent? You western folks see him more often than me.

I think he's still elite, but he played hurt for a huge chunk of the season, and it showed.

Nonetheless, I don't think that top four of Josi, Subban, Ellis, and Ekholm, has ended up as good as the Preds had hoped. Something's missing. And I think Poile and Nashville will come to regret the massive extension they gave Ellis. I think Ellis is good, but not THAT good.

The "something missing" might actually be an elite, dynamic forward up front. But I don't exactly know how Nashville gets their hands on one, and they don't have any forwards I'd consider real gamebreakers apart from Forsberg. Turris was a tremendous disappointment this season...it could be that Mark Stone made him look a lot better than he actually was.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:28 pm 
Big in Japan

The Preds defence this year was like the blind men touching the elephant: depending on when you watched you saw a different dman be the worst.

PK, Ek and Ellis at times were hurt, sluggish, off and not up to their usual standard. Only one who was as good as ever was Josi, who's a UFA next season. They can live without one of the other three, but they can't live without Roman.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:44 pm 
Big in Japan

The PK trade rumours aren't dying down, nor is the chatter of Poile just giving up on Turris and using whatever cap space is available on a big fish like Duchene.

I'll believe it when I see it.

But if this is Poile's swan song, then he's probably got a big swing or two in him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:18 pm 
Big in Japan

So PK gone, Duchene in and Turris the red headed step child.

Did the window close on the Nashville Predators? I think they've got one more year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:51 pm 

Poile does another Yarn-Croak contract, this time for Colton Sissons.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/272 ... r-20m-deal

$20 million for seven years, AAV is $2.8 million.

The analytics community is sure divided on this one. Seven years is MASSIVE term for a career bottom six guy, but he has been one of the best defensive forwards in the league for a while now and is around 25 years of age. I suppose if you want to bet large on a guy like this, this is the one to bet on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:26 pm 
Big in Japan

Keep that AAV low, let someone else worry about the back end of that deal.

Only question now is whether Poile can move Turris for something worthwhile. Is it really worth moving him to the wing or putting him 3rd or 4th line centre?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:40 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Keep that AAV low, let someone else worry about the back end of that deal.

Only question now is whether Poile can move Turris for something worthwhile. Is it really worth moving him to the wing or putting him 3rd or 4th line centre?

I've always said if you want the very most out of Matt Duchene, put a center on his wing or just move him to the wing. He pretty much plays like one no matter where you put him, and I think as he ages will eventually get moved there anyway out of necessity. I could see him and Turris doing really well since Turris has some two-way acumen (whereas Matty most assuredly does not) and Turris can snipe pretty well when given enough space to do so, while Duchene does his best work lower in the zone. Is that worth the massive price tag? Well...at the very least they should see if he can inflate his value and then sell high at the deadline or offseason.

Oh...forgot Mikael Granlund is already projected to be Matty's LW next season. Well, an all-center 2nd line still might not be a bad idea.

Doubt they can do it but they might prefer to move Bonino and then just slot Granlund or Turris in at 3C...or even Seven-Year-Itch Sissons can play there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:51 pm 

He's still only 20 years old, but Eeli Tolvanen sure went from hot commodity to afterthought pretty fast, didn't he?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:25 pm 
Big in Japan

Preds lock up Roman Josi: 8 years, 9.059M AAV (he's number 59) and full NMC.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:23 pm 
Big in Japan

You only get so many kicks at the can. The second coach in Preds history is now gone and this team pales in comparison to the one that made the finals.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:15 am 

Can't help but think that maybe part of the reason that Lamoriello has multiple Cups and Poile has none is because Poile has famously refused to make a coaching change until it appeared there was no other recourse, and Lou doesn't hesitate to do so if he thinks the coach is impeding the team's chances to win. I believe he even fired Claude Julien right before the playoffs one year.

Someone came out with a study of sorts and found that "continuity" is wildly overrated. A lot of Cup champs had first-year coaches and some even had coaches who took over halfway through the season (like Berube did in STL just last year). Poile should at the very least have made some major changes with the assistants when the Preds, for all their talent, had the league's worst power play last season.

Dropping that OT loss against the abysmal Ducks last night must have been the final straw. The Preds are lucky that one even got to OT as they got absolutely shelled in the first period of that contest.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:23 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Can't help but think that maybe part of the reason that Lamoriello has multiple Cups and Poile has none is because Poile has famously refused to make a coaching change until it appeared there was no other recourse, and Lou doesn't hesitate to do so if he thinks the coach is impeding the team's chances to win. I believe he even fired Claude Julien right before the playoffs one year.

Someone came out with a study of sorts and found that "continuity" is wildly overrated. A lot of Cup champs had first-year coaches and some even had coaches who took over halfway through the season (like Berube did in STL just last year). Poile should at the very least have made some major changes with the assistants when the Preds, for all their talent, had the league's worst power play last season.

Dropping that OT loss against the abysmal Ducks last night must have been the final straw. The Preds are lucky that one even got to OT as they got absolutely shelled in the first period of that contest.

Yes, Lou has made last minute coaching changes just prior to the playoffs. I think they were in 1st or 2nd place, but he said the team wasn't prepared for the playoffs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:19 pm 
OTP Historian

A lot of coaches get fired when their team's in the shitter because of bad goaltending and shooting % bound to regress. PDO'd.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:10 pm 

Bosc wrote:
A lot of coaches get fired when their team's in the shitter because of bad goaltending and shooting % bound to regress. PDO'd.

There's almost a direct correlation between good goaltending and good coaching. Lookit all the narratives of how Paul Maurice has done such a masterful job of keeping the Jets in the mix, when really, Connor Hellebuyck is bailing them out every single night. They're as bad defensively as the friggin' Sharks.

The league still hasn't forgiven Davis Payne for getting reverse-Halak'd. I would think if yer gonna recycle a former head coach, surely he would've gotten another look. Apparently not.

I think this is why the Jack Adams award is viewed as the Kiss of Death by some. Because I think sportswriters too often don't look under the surface, and too often they hold a team's talent against a coach, when really, that shouldn't be the case. Getting a team to "overachieve" might just be a run of dumb luck in terms of goaltending and inflated shooting percentages. Sure enough, that team regresses and the coach is in trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:27 pm 
Big in Japan

David Poile becomes the winningest GM in league history. The Preds are not that good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:18 am 

The Preds may still be good, but Rinne sure wasn't. Leon Draisaitl and the Oilers ventilate the Avs for 8 goals, five of which were scored in the third period alone. Leon accounts for 4 of them himself.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:25 pm 
Big in Japan

Has the Preds' window closed?

Trading Fiala for Granlund was a total disaster, and now the latter will walk as an underwhelming UFA.

The guys they brought from the outside and handed huge deals have all disappointed. Turris was a healthy scratch, Johansen is fat and lazy, and Duchene just ain't the franchise changer Poile thought he was. They're expensive and signed to ridiculous contracts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:54 am 

E.L. wrote:
Has the Preds' window closed?

Trading Fiala for Granlund was a total disaster, and now the latter will walk as an underwhelming UFA.

The guys they brought from the outside and handed huge deals have all disappointed. Turris was a healthy scratch, Johansen is fat and lazy, and Duchene just ain't the franchise changer Poile thought he was. They're expensive and signed to ridiculous contracts.

It's gonna get worse. Word has it they're buying Turris out. So that means they gave up all that (most notably a top-four defenseman in Girard) for literally nothing but dead cap space.

They better hope beyond hope that Tolvanen pans out and Tomasino is a top-shelf prospect. They don't have much else going on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:09 am 
Big in Japan

Big Michael McCarron signs a one year deal with a nice AHL base. Good for him. A reach when the Habs drafted him because they needed size, the game sped up and he fell out of favour. But he's found a home in Nashville, where they play a bigger, heavier game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next