OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Memorial Cup 2019
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:03 pm 
OTP Clown

Since moving to Nova Scotia I've seen a lot of major Jr games.

This year my son and I went to 15.

It's been fun.

We've seen all the home playoff games and we've split a set of Memorial Cup tickets with my nephew and my brother in law.

So.

I'm stoked about this.

What prospects for your team's that might end up in the cup should I look forward to watching?

I'm stoked on Jr hockey... Which is good since the Habs are out.

Post subject: Re: Memorial Cup 2019
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:21 am 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

I have been an OHL/OHA fan since the late 1960's/early 1970's especially the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. I actually got to see the 1977/1978 version with Wayne Gretzky, Craig Hartsburg, Greg Millen and Ted Nolan. My main partner in crime, Dwight, and I were roomates at university and he had a Sports Illustrated subscription which listed Gretzky as one of the, Faces in The Crowd. We were both hockey nuts and we would go to Olympia to watch the Red Wings even in the Dead Things era when all we really had was one semi-decent year, 1977/1978, when Bobby Kromm coached the Red Wings into the playoffs and we actually won the first round series 2-0 against the Atlanta Flames. After knocking off Atlanta our prize was a 7 game series against the late 1970's Montreal Canadiens Dynasty. We shocked the Habs with a game 1, 6-2, victory in Montreal. All that did was wake the Habs up and four games after that it was golf season in Detroit. I advised Dwight that we had to go and see this skinny kid in Sault Ste Marie. We went to the Soo sometime in late January/early February and saw the Greyhounds at the old, now demolished, Memorial Gardens. We were able to make a long weekend of it as we had another buddy who also lived on our dormitory floor who's hometown was in Newberry, Michigan west of Sault Ste. Marie. All three of us went to the game and made pub crawls through Soo Michigan and Canada.

About 5 or so years ago I was traveling in the Sault Ste. Marie, Canada area in early October with my wife Joanna. She has never liked sports much but I was able to talk her into going to a Greyhounds game. She was hooked after that although she traitored the Greyhounds and became a Flint Firebirds fan. We got an OHL franchise in Flint, Michigan when the Plymouth Whalers, from suburban Detroit, were sold and moved to Flint and rechristened the Flint Firebirds. The IMA arena is only 20 to 25 minutes away from home and we'll go as often as we can. I usually catch 5 games in Sault Ste. Marie and another 5 to 10 games in Flint. Dwight and I still go to OHL games in Flint as well so that adds in another 5 games on top of my 10 to 15 with Joanna. Dwight and I usually check for the OHL teams that have top prospects and go see those kids. I would highly recommend going and seeing a Major Junior team if you have one nearby. You can get in the door for roughly $20 and it's a good night out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:50 pm 
Big in Japan

They're in the finals in the Q, meaning you'll get to see both the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies, who dominated the league this year, and the perennially good host team Halifax Mooseheads.

Husks have Noah Dobson (Isles) and Jakub Lauko (Bruins). They also have undrafted Habs signee Joel Teasdale, who scouts say has taken major strides and could actually make the show.

Halifax is stacked as always with Benoit-Olivier Groulx and Antoine Morand (Ducks), Arnaud Durandeau (Isles), Jared McIsaac (Wings), and 2019 first-rounder Raphael Lavoie.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:01 pm 
OTP Clown

E.L. wrote:
They're in the finals in the Q, meaning you'll get to see both the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies, who dominated the league this year, and the perennially good host team Halifax Mooseheads.

Husks have Noah Dobson (Isles) and Jakub Lauko (Bruins). They also have undrafted Habs signee Joel Teasdale, who scouts say has taken major strides and could actually make the show.

Halifax is stacked as always with Benoit-Olivier Groulx and Antoine Morand (Ducks), Arnaud Durandeau (Isles), Jared McIsaac (Wings), and 2019 first-rounder Raphael Lavoie.

Stoked for the finals. I have tickets this week.

The Halifax players I know well. Huskies players a bit less so. Curious about the W the most ...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:30 am 
OTP Historian

Awesome, glad to see you and the boy having a blast!

Would love your thoughts on Jared McIsaac.

Halifax beat Joe Veleno's Drummondville Voltigeurs. How was that series? Did you notice Veleno at all?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:36 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I'm on the 67s bandwagon. Former Avs assistant Andre Tourigny has 'em absolutely dominating right now and won OHL Coach of the Year as a result.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:23 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

The WHL Finals start Friday with Vancouver at Prince Albert. The WHL uses a 2-3-2 schedule format. If you are really curious The WHL offers a pay per view option at $8.99/game through the WHL website. The OHL and the LHJMQ offer a pay per game option too. I am rather curious to see Rouyn-Noranda Huskies in the Quebec League Finals so I may buy a game. The OHL Final has Guelph and Ottawa. Saginaw had Guelph down 3-1 in their Western Conference Finals series but ended up losing the last 3 games to send Guelph to the Finals. I have a sneaking suspicion that Ottawa will probably handle Guelph pretty easily.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:31 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Pokecheque wrote:
I'm on the 67s bandwagon. Former Avs assistant Andre Tourigny has 'em absolutely dominating right now and won OHL Coach of the Year as a result.

Grew up watching the 67's, so I am definitely on their bandwagon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:47 pm 
OTP Clown

Bosc wrote:
Awesome, glad to see you and the boy having a blast!

Would love your thoughts on Jared McIsaac.

Halifax beat Joe Veleno's Drummondville Voltigeurs. How was that series? Did you notice Veleno at all?

Veleno was amazing by moments then ghostly the next. Halifax were by far the better team. Some of the officiating was very... Ummm... 'French'... The team from that shitty little town on the 20 had an extra player.

Anyway... McIsaac. Great player. Smart. Ahead of the play not by foot speed but by anticipation. Gets shits through well from the point. Moved the puck better than the rest of the team. Sees the ice. Love his gsme.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:03 am 
OTP Clown

Asslin: Small, undrafted, feisty, clutch.

Lavoie had a good game.

Not sure what the fuss is about with regard to these corn fed Prairie boys.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:44 pm 
King of Men

Huskies take care of Guelph.......good game.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:32 pm 
OTP Clown

harmfuljays wrote:
Huskies take care of Guelph.......good game.

It was.

Moose only have to beat those assholes once.

Fuck Duran Duranda.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:45 pm 
King of Men

huskies take it home!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:11 pm 
Big in Japan

Undrafted Habs signee Joel Teasdale wins MVP.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:58 pm 
OTP Clown

E.L. wrote:
Undrafted Habs signee Joel Teasdale wins MVP.

Fucking greasy hairy fucking piece of dirty fucking dick dragging dog shit he is

Fuck that fucking hairy ape.

Fuck the huskies and their fucking Queeb fans

Fuck Hinam and all of fucking Cole Harbour.

Fuck them all.

Fuck them all to hell.

Fucking Dicktease. Fucking piece of shit. Jo-elle?

Fuck him.

And fuck Duran Duranda.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:26 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Noah Dobson is a fucking beast.
2nd Memorial Cup in 2 years and 2 different teams. Wonder if he'll get a shot at a 3rd, or if he'll be on the Isles next year.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:27 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
2nd Memorial Cup in 2 years and 2 different teams. Wonder if he'll get a shot at a 3rd, or if he'll be on the Isles next year.

I don't know the exact rules, but he'll still be 19 when the NHL season starts, which means he can't be sent down to the AHL. Not sure what they'll do. I'm sure he'll get the 9-game look at the very least.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:23 pm 
OTP Clown

Chris18 wrote:

We booed the shit out of that asshole.

Fucker.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:33 pm 
Big in Japan

I guess you didn't Tease Dale enough.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:02 pm 
OTP Clown

Fucking fucking fuck fuck fuck fuck fucking fuck fuck fuck