OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:19 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Nice dive, Smith. :lol:

I'd give the Norris to Giordano. He's been astounding this season. FOUR shorthanded goals!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:43 am 
King of Men

Terrible post season showing. I would like to give props to Colorado but the Flames just didn't perform at the level they showed during the regular season. And I still don't think the Avs are a better team overall. Reasons for the no show are unknown and up for debate.

Where do we go from here? Who knows...first off they need to find a level befitting of the playoffs. Maybe their cutesy style of play is not cut out for the postseason but if that's the case then that would require core personnel changes (maybe its not all you after all Dougie!). Brad Treliving is not going to do that nor should he.

So we try to flush an excellent season and a disastrous post season away because it certainly can't be reasoned away.

In closing...this team gets a pass due to their Regular season showing. We will see if the regular season success was a one off next year. I can tell you for certain there will be no tempering expectations next season so the pressure will only grow for everyone in the organization.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:25 am 

Yeah, I'd say the Flames are the more talented team. And goaltending certainly wasn't the problem. I think the issue that bit Calgary HARD in this series came down to one thing: Speed. Both in terms of how they skate and how they move the puck. The Flames don't have a particularly fast center corps, and while their blueline is supremely skilled and well-balanced, I'd argue they're not particularly quick, nor do they excel with stretch passes (least as far as I know, you see them more than I do). It's not all about skating. Those Cup-winning Kings teams weren't exactly fleet of foot, but man could they ever move the puck right down the ice with 2-3 crisp passes. It is no coincidence that one of the most effective players for Calgary during this series was Andrew Mangiapane. At the time I thought it was a risky, but good signing when the Flames snagged James Neal. I couldn't have been more wrong. He merely compounded the issue.

Unfortunately there is no quick fix here, and if anything Treliving is going to have to make some tough decisions with guys like Tkachuk up for new contract and very little cap room to deal with.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:33 am 

One thing the Flames did RIGHT in this series is wear their proper uniforms for all their home games. I don't know why they ever switched. Get those black-lined monstrosities OUTTA THERE and go back to the classic red-and-golds.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:41 am 
King of Men

I would have to agree with that. The Flames "system" that worked in the regular season relied on dipsy doodle puck possession entries from the D and forward corps in transition. I watched them try to ram the square peg in the round hole when I was at the games...but they were not crisp or performing with any intention or urgency. Almost like they were just used to this shit working at half speed and when it didn't...well hell they had no idea and the puck was in their end. Like I said before...I personally witnessed Rasmus Andersen charge the zone at effort and laterally pass to no one 3 times, turning the puck over without layers to support him (and that's just an example). Sam Bennett tried to play playoff hockey but just ended up out of position when the rest of the team couldn't understand what he was doing or how to do it. That's a recipe for losing.

In the playoffs time and space evaporate and there is no time to setup all that cutesy shit. Who determines the game style? I would say that's Bill Peters. But, again, it got them there...just didn't (and won't) work in the postseason. It still doesn't answer the team effort questions completely.

Here's a look at upcoming RFAs:

Mangiapane
Bennett
Tkachuk
Rittich

All currently making under 1 Million with the exception of Bennett at almost 2. Barely any wiggle room on the cap....so things will change.

I would even go out on a limb here and suggest that the difference in effective play between the regular season and post season is now becoming significant with the evolution of the game. That's why we could be seeing these types of upsets.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:03 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Just FYI, here's what a James Neal buyout would look like:

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calc ... 2019-06-15

Treliving should at least be given credit for refusing to sign one of those bonus-laden deals that makes a buyout impossible.

That said, $1.91 million over the next eight years is digestible, but not by any means ideal. Probably best trying to tough it out 1-2 more years and see if you can get something out of him. Or, see if there's someone out there willing to take it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:49 pm 

Interesting stuff on exit day.

Dave Rittich got injured sometime in December and it obviously affected his play, but he refused to disclose what it was. Treliving seemed to indicate it was his knee. So if Smith had struggled I'm not sure Rittich would've gotten the nod right away.

Monahan said he was fully healthy and was even considering going to the Worlds, but then Treliving said he was playing with a broken thumb....which would explain quite a bit. I get that Monahan did not want to make excuses for his poor play but I really wish the NHL would quit fucking around when it comes to the disclosure of injuries. Now that gambling stands to play a larger part in all sports, including hockey, the policy may change.

Neal confirmed game 5 was the first and only time thus far in his career that he's been a healthy scratch, and that obviously did not sit well with him. He seemed to own up to his struggles and what not during the regular season and playoffs, nothing to do but show up next year and try and get it right.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:53 pm 
Big in Japan

I hope the Flames don't do anything rash this offseason, but seeing as this is a Canadian market, I expect lots of panicking behind the scenes.

Friedman says they're possibly getting Russian RD Alexander Yelesin. 23 years old.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:50 am 
King of Men

E.L. wrote:
I hope the Flames don't do anything rash this offseason, but seeing as this is a Canadian market, I expect lots of panicking behind the scenes.

Friedman says they're possibly getting Russian RD Alexander Yelesin. 23 years old.

I agree its all aboard with what they have. Even James Neal probably stays as the Professor alludes to.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:59 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

harmfuljays wrote:
E.L. wrote:

I agree its all aboard with what they have. Even James Neal probably stays as the Professor alludes to.
I bet they try to make a move on the Neal contract.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:15 pm 
Big in Japan

Logical Progression wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Nashville seems like an obvious fit for Neal if they can make the money work: 2nd line cratered in the playoffs, had his best time there. Only guy they could move to make the money work is Turris. Not crazy, perhaps.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:16 pm 
King of Men

Logical Progression wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:
E.L. wrote:

That would have to be a big dump on another team. Package with Sam Bennett......hell he'll probably go to Vegas and enjoy a resurgence.