OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019 MLB Thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:06 pm 
Big in Japan

And Bryce goes to Philly. A weird 13 year, 330M no opt-out deal.

Really don't get this for either side. Is it really worth saving a few bucks per year to have Bryce at 39? And why did Bryce take less AAV than Manny?

I feel like something like the Manny deal: 10 years, 300M would've made more sense.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:30 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Nolan re-upped for what I assume will be the remainder of his career. That's all I care about--the Greatest Rockie of All Time stays put.

There IS, however, an opt-out clause built in, but I think only Nolan can trigger it, which I suppose puts Rox management on notice to have their shit together AT LEAST by then, if not this upcoming season.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:54 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Gerardo Parra is a good guy to have in the clubhouse, if nothing else he'll keep things light in there.

Giants brass and fans are kinda excited he's on board, which maybe stems from their unsexy offseason, but he's drawing rave reviews for his arm and has decent speed and defence. With no hope of hitting homers at home, Parra can hopefully keep his typically high BABIP up and spray some doubles in the gaps.

If he matches his .340 OBP of the last two seasons, steals 12 bases, keeps his K% around the 15% mark (very doable for him), he won't be that much of a black hole offensively for them, even if the main stats are less than impressive.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:57 am 
OTP Historian

Jays are working on implimenting a 50%+ pay increase across the board for their minor leaguers and that's awesome. Someone did the calculations and it's expected to cost less than 1M across the entire system and quite frankly they just paid $38M for Tulo to NOT play for them. Less than 3% of that money will make a massive difference for a ton of young ball players. Such a microscopic drop in the bucket that the stupid, short-sighted fucks at MLB actively lobby to prevent having to do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:33 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bosc wrote:
Jays are working on implimenting a 50%+ pay increase across the board for their minor leaguers and that's awesome. Someone did the calculations and it's expected to cost less than 1M across the entire system and quite frankly they just paid $38M for Tulo to NOT play for them. Less than 3% of that money will make a massive difference for a ton of young ball players. Such a microscopic drop in the bucket that the stupid, short-sighted fucks at MLB actively lobby to prevent having to do.

That's awesome. It will make a big difference to those players.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:21 am 
Big in Japan

12 year, $430M extension for Trout, who still has two years left on his current deal. Seems light, but I guess he likes it there. Seems like a quiet guy. Really hope he and Ohtani can bring the Angels back to the postseason.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:27 pm 
Big in Japan

Farhan is picking apart the Giants roster right as Cactus League is finishing up. Kratz, Reed, Joe are in, bunch of guys are out. Panda might be done. Pitching might be traded.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:32 pm 

Rockies could have easily upgraded the catcher position with a minimum of effort, instead we're being treated to another year of Ianetta/Wolters. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:20 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Rockies could have easily upgraded the catcher position with a minimum of effort, instead we're being treated to another year of Ianetta/Wolters. :roll:

Pundits were screaming at them to sign Grandal. Would've been perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:31 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Pundits were screaming at them to sign Grandal. Would've been perfect.

The Rockies have mismanaged so much over their 20+ year existence that it gets overlooked that they have probably blundered more at the catcher position than any other team in the majors. It's not that fucking hard to get a halfway-decent guy behind home plate, but as soon as COL gets someone good, they can't wait to get rid of him in favor of some hotshot rookie who never, ever pans out.

I don't think it ever got worse than in two separate situations. They famously turned their backs on Joe Girardi simply because he was the team's union rep during the strike that wiped out the World Series. He simply went over to the Yankees and won a whole bunch of rings as a player and then manager.

Years later, after spending insane amounts on Mike Hampton and Denny Neagle, they have Brent Mayne backstopping them and not only handling them well, but also hitting, AND being one of the few position players in MLB history to notch a win as a pitcher. What happened? Ownership ordered Dan O'Dud to ship him out for what amounted to nothing because they needed to save a few bucks (again...why do that when you just threw truckloads of money at those pitchers) and see if "catcher of the future number eight" Ben Petrick can be The Guy going forward. The clubhouse promptly falls apart and the Rox shaky season unravels completely, and not long after Petrick is diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, immediately ending his baseball career.

Oh and go figure, the catching prospects WHO DID actually turn into legit major leaguers, Brad Ausmus and Josh Bard, never ended up playing for the Rockies. The latter (who BTW was a Colorado native) was sent away in what O'Dud later admitted publicly was a panic trade for a guy who couldn't even fucking bat .200. :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck: :fffffuck:

Anyway, I could go on forever on how the Rox and their incompetent owners have frittered away so many opportunities, but hope springs eternal, and Denver native Kyle Freeland has been named Opening Day starter. I still think the bats are far too weak, but Colorado has never had a rotation this strong, and I'm counting the 2007 World Series team in that assertion. The question now is whether the bullpen is good enough with the departure of their best reliever in Adam Ottavino.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:19 pm 
Big in Japan

Prediction time! Might change my mind between today and opening day tomorrow

NL: Braves, Cardinals, Dodgers (Mets, Cubs)
AL: Yankees, Twins, Astros (Red Sox, Angels)

WS: Braves vs. Astros
Winner: Astros

NL MVP: Acuna
AL MVP: Trout
NL Cy Young: Syndergaard
AL Cy Young: Sale

Giants prediction: 80-82, third in the division. Posey has a comeback season playing 90 games at catcher and 50 at first/DH.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:59 pm 
Big in Japan

Giants trade for Pillar, who represents an offensive upgrade despite his declining productivity.

They needed a RH bat in the outfield that badly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:27 pm 

Rox now 2-3 and the same offensive production issues are already rearing their ugly heads.

BUT...it's frickin' March/April. It doesn't really count. If this continues into May, then I'll be slinging shade at Mr. Indecision, Jeff Bridich.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:00 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Rox now 2-3 and the same offensive production issues are already rearing their ugly heads.

BUT...it's frickin' March/April. It doesn't really count. If this continues into May, then I'll be slinging shade at Mr. Indecision, Jeff Bridich.

Didn't you guys have to run the table and win a play-in game one year to make it to the playoffs? It counts...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:06 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Didn't you guys have to run the table and win a play-in game one year to make it to the playoffs? It counts...

Yes, I know, they all count but it's baseball. It's 162 games. I'm just saying I'm not gonna freak if they stumble a little out the gate. They've proven before that it's better to start slow than to finish poorly. Come May if they haven't gotten their shit together, then I'll start getting mad.

And yes, they did have to do that IIRC but I can't remember when.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:51 am 
Big in Japan

Giants not looking great so far. It's sad watching Crawford, Posey and Panik not hit the ball with much confidence anymore. Longoria just plain sucks, what a horrible deal that was.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:27 am 

Rox finally hitting the damned ball again but it's gonna be pitching that gets them into the postseason again.

Huge return from injury by Ryan McMahon. 2-run homer gives Colorado their first home win this year. Fucking ridiculous it took this long for them to do it but again...if you're gonna suck in baseball, go ahead and suck in April.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:34 am 
OTP Historian

Vlad fucking Jr.

His homers sound like he's breaking the ball.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:00 pm 
Big in Japan

The Giants are really bad. They will now try to get some prospects by dealing Bumgarner, Smith, Watson, Sandoval and pretty much anyone else in the rotation or bullpen. Moronta could fetch something nice.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:01 pm 

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1 ... 4434871297

Quote:
BREAKING: The Tampa Bay Rays have received MLB's permission to explore becoming two-city team: the Tampa Bay area and Montreal, sources tell ESPN. The plan: Play early-season home games in the Tampa Bay area and finish the season in Montreal.

Fucking ridiculous. And apparently the mayor of St. Petersburg has already very publicly said the Rays are absolutely NOT allowed to do this without first reaching an understanding with the city.

Just move the damned team. What is this supposed to accomplish except to make everyone, from fans to players, angry?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next