Joel Quenneville 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Todd McLellan 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Bruce Boudreau 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mike Yeo 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:21 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Alain Vigneault is named the new guy in Philly after the Flyboys miss out on Quenneville. Not a bad choice at all.

Sounds like the bidding war for Todd McLellan will go in favor of the Kings. Who do the Sabres go and get now...?

There may be a couple more openings depending on what happens with the playoffs. If the Jets get booted in the first round, I think Maurice is a goner. If he makes it past the Blues, maybe, but if he makes it to the Conference Final or beyond, then I think he stays.

Ironically, I thought Torts was Dead Coach Walking going into this postseason. Now...?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:12 pm 
Big in Japan

Sabres should wait for first round fallout. Maurice could be nice for them...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:03 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Sabres should wait for first round fallout. Maurice could be nice for them...

Maurice is a good quick-fix guy who for some reason loses the room in 2-3 years. But a quick fix is precisely what they need. I still think Botterill and the people above him just don't quite know what to do to make this team a winner. If Mittelstadt and Nylander don't pan out for them...yikes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:17 pm 

Oh...forgot that Buffalo may get a very good veteran coach if Poile ends up firing Laviolette. Not sure what the hell went wrong in Nashville, but it's just not coming together like it should. Very strange.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:58 am 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Oh...forgot that Buffalo may get a very good veteran coach if Poile ends up firing Laviolette. Not sure what the hell went wrong in Nashville, but it's just not coming together like it should. Very strange.

Good? Veteran? Not sure if Ralph Krueger counts as either, but he's the new Sabres coach.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:15 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Good? Veteran? Not sure if Ralph Krueger counts as either, but he's the new Sabres coach.

Well, the Sabres aren't playing it safe, but at this point they didn't have a choice. I do like the fact that he's coming from a very unorthodox background: NHL coach from Europe who got sacked after one season, went into a managerial role with an English football club, and now returns to the NHL. He spoke eloquently about analytics and their role in the game at his presser, also snuck his way into some local Buffalo watering holes and talked to fans. I like the guy and want him to succeed very badly, mostly because I am sick and tired of seeing the same old guys recycled over and over, but it remains to be seen whether he can get the job done, especially since I haven't been all that impressed with Botterill's performance in upstate New York thus far.