OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:47 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

May as well get started on this...any of you in the Vancouver area planning to go?

https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft-center/2019

Looks like right now the projected Top Five is something like:

1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kaako
3. Dylan Cozens
4, Kirby Dach
5. Vasili Podkolzin

Of those guys I expect Podkolzin to possibly surpass Dach (based on what I've read, I am no talent evaluator) but I think that top three is set.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:23 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

I may go as I am frequently back in Vancouver and could time accordingly. Was at BC Place for the 1990 NHL Entry Draft where Owen Nolan went #1 overall to the Nords and the Canucks picked (drumroll please) Petr Nedved over Jaromir Jagr and Keith Primeau, among others from the #2 slot. :rimcrash:

I'm hearing some mixed things about Jack Hughes. Not quite as highly touted as he was last year. Such a crapshoot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:32 pm 
Big in Japan

I've heard Hughes is a decent number one but not generational talent like McDavid etc.

His dad is good at marketing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:50 pm 

E.L. wrote:
I've heard Hughes is a decent number one but not generational talent like McDavid etc.

That's fine, I feel like there are way too many "generational talents" being hyped these days, the term is starting to lose its meaning.

To me, there are only three true generational talents in the league: McDavid, Crosby, and Karlsson.

Other players like Matthews, P. Kane, Price, Pettersson, and MacKinnon are super-elite to be sure, but I think they fall short of "generational." The next minor step down are the merely "elite" players like Tavares, Boeser, Tarasenko, etc. Then you're just getting to the "very good" players and so on and so forth.

I don't think they need to keep labeling a player "generational." Just say the kid is really damned good fer cryin' out loud. If Hughes is truly as good as his present play suggests, then he will be a top-flight pivot any team can build a winner around.

Based on what I'm hearing, Jack may not even be the best Hughes. Quinn is gonna absolutely light up the league when he's finally ready.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:11 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:

Based on what I'm hearing, Jack may not even be the best Hughes. Quinn is gonna absolutely light up the league when he's finally ready.

Where you been hearing this?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:15 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Where you been hearing this?

Pronman has his ranked among his very best prospects, and just chatter I catch on social media and HF.

I don't think he'll seriously be better than Jack, but I think he'll be an elite puckmover.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:32 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

I hear his Dad is an elite marketeer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:32 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
I hear his Dad is an elite marketeer.

Well...I think they'll end up backing up most of the hype.

Schedule permitting, Jack Hughes and the USNTDP will be in town here to take on the now-dismantled Lincoln Stars in early March. I'll get to see just how much he will dominate against a pretty weak lineup.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:20 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

That's fine, I feel like there are way too many "generational talents" being hyped these days, the term is starting to lose its meaning.

To me, there are only three true generational talents in the league: McDavid, Crosby, and Karlsson.

Other players like Matthews, P. Kane, Price, Pettersson, and MacKinnon are super-elite to be sure, but I think they fall short of "generational." The next minor step down are the merely "elite" players like Tavares, Boeser, Tarasenko, etc. Then you're just getting to the "very good" players and so on and so forth.

I don't think they need to keep labeling a player "generational." Just say the kid is really damned good fer cryin' out loud. If Hughes is truly as good as his present play suggests, then he will be a top-flight pivot any team can build a winner around.

I would say that the greatest goal scorer of all-time is a generational talent...

Was leaving Malkin off of the super-elite and minor step down lists a shot at the NHL top-100? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:20 pm 

Bosc wrote:
I would say that the greatest goal scorer of all-time is a generational talent...

Was leaving Malkin off of the super-elite and minor step down lists a shot at the NHL top-100? ;)

Yeah I thought about adding Ovechkin to that list, he probably deserves to be there.

As for Malkin, pfffffffft try doing something without Crosby, ya knob! :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:42 pm 

Well, now we know. Jack Hughes will be a New Jersey Devil, and Kaapo Kaako will be a New York Ranger. The next two picks belong to the Chicago Blackhawks and the Colorado Avalanche.

I know they said Kaako could yet go first overall but I just don't think NJ passes on Hughes. They'd be fools to do so.

The rankings jump around quite a bit after the top two though. Podkolzin, Dach, Cozens, Byram, Krebs, Turcotte, Boldy, it's anyone's guess. As others have said though, if you're gonna pick a forward, this is the draft to do it.

Of all the players up for grabs I've only seen the kids eligible for the draft who are currently on the USNTDP roster. And damn, are they good. Hughes was on another planet though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:45 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Well, now we know. Jack Hughes will be a New Jersey Devil, and Kaapo Kaako will be a New York Ranger.

Fucking motherfucker.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:36 am 
Big in Japan

Av I agree that Jersey getting the pick makes it more likely they'll opt for the American over the Finn. Same with had the Rangers won.

Not sure who's actually better, but I think some voter fatigue has settled in with Hughes, who's been in the spotlight for years (as has been his overly confident dad). Yet Quinn looks to be the real deal, which perhaps bodes well?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:58 am 
King of Men

Too bad for the Avs...they could have used another for sure thing.

Kirby Dach looks good. Versatile Center with a scoring touch....

Quote:
great combination of size, strength and puck skills … ‘offence first’ mentality … soft hands… good puck pursuit … quick stick

Sounds like Joe!

I was disappointed watching Jack Hughes answer questions yesterday.....All pre-programmed, careful, generic responses that he used during the draft lottery interview. I suppose that's what its come to....full time PR, cradle to grave.

I would have rather seen him say F*ck the Devils!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:09 am 
Big in Japan

harmfuljays wrote:
Too bad for the Avs...they could have used another for sure thing.

Kirby Dach looks good. Versatile Center with a scoring touch....

Quote:
great combination of size, strength and puck skills … ‘offence first’ mentality … soft hands… good puck pursuit … quick stick

Sounds like Joe!

I was disappointed watching Jack Hughes answer questions yesterday.....All pre-programmed, careful, generic responses that he used during the draft lottery interview. I suppose that's what its come to....full time PR, cradle to grave.

I would have rather seen him say F*ck the Devils!

Something I miss from the good old days: the possibility of a young franchise player calling the shots and refusing to play for a bottom feeder franchise, like Lindros or almost Lemieux.

I don't even think a kid would refuse to play in Glendale at this point. Hell Oliver Ekman-Larsson seems to love wasting away there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:29 am 
King of Men

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:29 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Something I miss from the good old days: the possibility of a young franchise player calling the shots and refusing to play for a bottom feeder franchise, like Lindros or almost Lemieux.

I don't even think a kid would refuse to play in Glendale at this point. Hell Oliver Ekman-Larsson seems to love wasting away there.

McDavid would have been perfect for this. Don't sign, play in Europe for two years for massive coin and Edmonton trades him or loses him and only gets a 2nd rounder as a result.

Fuck. What a fucking trash result.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:31 pm 

Everything seems to point to the Hawks taking Podkolzin with #3, even though I read that he comes with some red flags.

Someone we all know who used to lurk around here just whispered to me via the Internets about Dach, I've seen some highlights of late and the guy looks like he could be a force out there.

Based on what I'm reading, if indeed it goes Hughes/Kaako/Podkolzin and the Avs are up, the "safe" pick would be Cozens. Fast, talented, has size and very good two-way ability, but there are questions about his ceiling. Pronman thinks you'll get a really good player, but not a superstar. Dach has the more tantalizing skill set, I think Avs fans are wary of him because of some noted skating issues. Dude has a great first gear, but not high-end top speed. To me, the former is way more important than the latter. I also think with Tyson Jost struggling to adapt to the NHL because of his skating, they don't want another guy too slow for the big leagues. But unlike Jost, Dach is HUGE and isn't afraid to power his way around the ice. I think either is a fine pick.

I am kinda hoping Podkolzin goes with #3 so there's less question of who the Avs take, but if the Hawks opt for Dach, I think that blows things wiiiiiide open. In terms of talent, you take Podkolzin, no question. But you also accept the fact he isn't making the jump to the NHL for at least a year, maybe longer. He also has the "enigmatic" label, but what can ya do.

The one guy I'll be rooting for no matter which team he goes to, yes, even the Wylde, is Cole Caufield. Dude is little but scrappy and talented as all get out. Mock drafts have him going to Philly, which would be absolutely the perfect landing spot for a guy like him. I watched him play alongside Hughes and the two of them couldn't be stopped. He was readily bowling over guys twice his size, it was a marvel to see.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:36 pm 
Big in Japan

If Podkolzin really is stuck in the KHL the next two seasons, no way I'd use a lottery pick on him. Don't want to get Kaprizov'd.

It takes one team to not care about Caufield's size. With Debrincat and Gaudreau thriving why not?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:35 am 
Big in Japan

Final Central Scouting rankings:

https://twitter.com/coreypronman/status ... 1568536576