OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:32 pm 
Big in Japan

Fogghorn wrote:
Don't forget Chris Tanev, another US collegiate player.

And Stetcher is actually pretty remarkable. A legit top pairing dman, gets no notice around the league just like Tanev for his first 4-5 years, and just like Tanev I don't think anyone in the organization or fan base realize what a find stetcher was or how high his upside would be.

Assuming Edler comes back, a defence of Edler-Stecher, Hughes-Tanev, Hutton-some new guy in 2020 looks pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:54 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

E.L. wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Don't forget Chris Tanev, another US collegiate player.And Stetcher is actually pretty remarkable. A legit top pairing dman, gets no notice around the league just like Tanev for his first 4-5 years, and just like Tanev I don't think anyone in the organization or fan base realize what a find stetcher was or how high his upside would be.
Assuming Edler comes back, a defence of Edler-Stecher, Hughes-Tanev, Hutton-some new guy in 2020 looks pretty good.
Perhaps they're thinking of slotting in Josh Teves the new RHD with Hutton. Who knows but looks a lot more promising than the last 4 years. Or dare I say they test the free agency waters? #hidebenningsphone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:42 pm 
Big in Japan

Logical Progression wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Don't forget Chris Tanev, another US collegiate player.And Stetcher is actually pretty remarkable. A legit top pairing dman, gets no notice around the league just like Tanev for his first 4-5 years, and just like Tanev I don't think anyone in the organization or fan base realize what a find stetcher was or how high his upside would be.
Perhaps they're thinking of slotting in Josh Teves the new RHD with Hutton. Who knows but looks a lot more promising than the last 4 years. Or dare I say they test the free agency waters? #hidebenningsphone

Roman Polak come on down!

(Seriously though, maybe I'm biased but Jordie Benn is from the area, plays both LD/RD and is a solid bottom pairing guy.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:17 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiMmDozRc0I

Is this legal? He threw his stick on a penalty shot straight on.....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:09 pm 
Big in Japan

It is not.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:02 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:

It is not.

Agreed, it isn't. But I think the refs were saying he didn't "try" to throw the stick, that he went to poke check and it slipped out of his hand. They should have checked the size of the tape knob at the top. There's a minimum size. And it's supposed to be white tape. DiPietro had to put white tape over his blue tape once, and the ref measured the knob. Yes, there was lots of jokes about a ref measuring another man's knob, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:56 am 

Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

It is not.
Agreed, it isn't. But I think the refs were saying he didn't "try" to throw the stick, that he went to poke check and it slipped out of his hand. They should have checked the size of the tape knob at the top. There's a minimum size. And it's supposed to be white tape. DiPietro had to put white tape over his blue tape once, and the ref measured the knob. Yes, there was lots of jokes about a ref measuring another man's knob, etc.
Strange play, strange explanation by the NHL. Even if he didn't 'try' to throw the stick (refs are able to get into the heads of the players now?), the fact remains that he lost control of the stick, whether intentional or not and his hand came nowhere near trying to grasp the knob at the end. Therefore automatic goal. Oh well Pettersson beats Canucks rookie scoring record the following night in Chicago.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:28 pm 

Refs shouldn't try to determine intent, but they often do. High sticks, trips, goalie interference, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:32 pm 

Beat the frigging BJs!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:39 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

What is the general consensus among Canucks fans this offseason? There appears to be a very young and talented core taking shape with Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, and Demko. They may have some help coming in Lind, Juolevi, and whoever they end up with in the draft. They have some okay depth with guys like Gaudette. They have a great coach in Travis Green. Shotgun Jake may be good for 10-15 goals and is all the more valuable now that he knows how to close doors.

All that said, I am getting the impression that Canucks fans are scared to death that Jim Benning has a ton of cap room to play with this offseason. Should he be ambitious, maybe pick up a major weapon, or just fill some holes in the lineup?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:13 pm 

Benning Report Card

Draft A
Trade C+
Free Agency D

money management and FA are not his strengths and he should manage to his strengths, just trade for draft picks dammit

What's next. This is shaping into a playoff team for certain. Will it ever be a team that can will be in serious discussion for a SC 2-3 years running, I don't think so. They are one potential all star short of that. Even with what they have they need all the players to fulfill potential and not get seriously injured. That is doubtful.

What's next? Sign Edler to a 2 - 3 year contract, trade Tanev/Sutter for picks. Use some cap room to take somebody elses 1-3 year bloated contract as long as it comes with prospect or draft picks.

Only Juolevi of potential on the farm, not sure what happened to Kole Lind but questions abound about Utica and their ability to develop young players.

Oh they may not have that much cap space if Louongo retires, that contract is still hanging out there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:27 pm 

They also need to deal with the Eriksson problem. Hearing rumours that he has played his last game as a Canuck. Best case scenario, trade one problem for another. Worst case scenario -- buy out. Either way he has to go. More and morie i get the feeling that Shotgun Jake was a mistake as the 6th overall pick. They are good down the middle and in goal. The wings and the blue line are a still a mess.

Last edited by Logical Progression on Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:27 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Oh they may not have that much cap space if Louongo retires, that contract is still hanging out there.

Don't worry about that one--when the day comes he decides to hang 'em up he will magically not pass a physical and be put on LTIR for the remainder of his deal. No one is going to let those monumental cap recapture penalties come to fruition. As DGB said elsewhere, I wouldn't be surprised if they just flat out got rid of that particular rule and found a different way to do things. No one has the appetite for it frankly. They've already begun staging the narrative by conveniently telling the press that he has mounting health issues.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:34 pm 

They also need to deal with the Eriksson problem. Hearing rumours that he has played his last game as a Canuck. Best case scenario, trade one problem for another. Worst case scenario -- buy out. Either way he has to go. More and morie i get the feeling that Shotgun Jake was a mistake as the 6th overall pick. They are good down the middle and in goal. The wings and defense are a still a mess.

Oh there isn't any question about it--he absolutely was a mistake with that pick. Is he a bust? No. But nowhere near the player they needed him to be with that pick. He reminds me so much of Benoit Pouliot, another guy with all the physical tools to be an elite power forward who simply didn't pan out as a star, but still carved out a respectable career for a time.

Buyout IS NOT an option with Loui. You can thank Loui's agent and Benning for signing off on one of those bonus-heavy contracts. Cap hit would be close to his current AAV so you're better off just keeping him and riding it out, or trading him somehow. If I'm Benning, I get Dorion on the phone and see if I can throw in a guy like Goldobin and a marginal pick in exchange for taking him on for the remainder of his deal. NTC on his current deal doesn't kick in until 2020, so that's good news.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:24 pm 

Jake ain't a bust, not a great pick but I suspect there has been just as many worse #6 picks as there have been better.

As for Erikkson, it would be good for the team if someone, somewhere would take the contract. However maybe it will be reminder to Benning to be a hell a lot more cautious when handing out long term, big money contracts to players past their prime. If seeing him every night on the bench does move Benning to be more responsible it will be worth the pain of keeping him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:40 pm 

Just saw a mock draft have the Canucks pick Peyton Krebs (who just suffered a fairly serious Achilles injury) 10th overall. It would be a reenactment of this seminal moment in Canucks history when they picked 10th overall in 1984.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:12 pm 
Big in Japan

JJ!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:46 am 
Big in Japan

Edler comes back on a 2 year deal. Canucks win this one: higher AAV so they don't have to protect him in the expansion draft.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:47 pm 

Well then...

https://twitter.com/CanucksAbbyFan/stat ... 0472406016

Canucks have a center who might interest the Avs in Horvat, but I would hope they get more than that for one of the most consistent and productive young defensemen in the league. I'm sure Joe ain't gonna let TB4 go for anything less than a massive haul. If he's willing to take on one of Benning's bad contracts, that'll sweeten the pot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:22 pm 

FTR I think Benning would be crazy to dump one of his top two centers for Tyson Barrie, so I'm not being a complete Avs fan here. :lol:

Would the 10th overall pick and an agreement to take on Loui Eriksson's contract be of any interest to Joe?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next