OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:23 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
They got 103 points two years ago with a similar cast. How have they not improved the team at all since then?

That run, much like that complete fluke SCF run well over a decade ago, is one of the worst things that could've happened to this franchise. If gave the old-school meatheads running the show justification to double down on their ridiculously antiquated vision of how this team should operate.

Unfortunately it might be easier to pass a kidney stone than will be to extract Kevin Lowe and his cronies from Edmonton.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:25 pm 

E.L. wrote:
They need bodies. They systematically got rid of any wingers worth a damn.

Lucic-McD-????
????-Leon-????
????-RNH-Gagner
????-Cave-Currie

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Sekera-Benning

Kosklarz

It doesn't help that Yamamoto had a pretty rough outing in the minors and Poolparty is all but a lost cause.

Honestly, you could make an argument that friggin' Khaira is their biggest in-house success at developing a winger.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:11 am 

Oh my God...you have to be kidding me. Connor McDavid breaks his leg on the final night of the regular season.

Fuck you Oilers. Fuck the Flames too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:09 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Oh my God...you have to be kidding me. Connor McDavid breaks his leg on the final night of the regular season.

Fuck you Oilers. Fuck the Flames too.

Could have been in the first game of the season... Then they wouldn't have made the playoffs! (Checks standings) Oh. Umm. Yeah. Well. Errr... At least he's got all summer to heal.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:07 pm 

They said x-rays are negative. At least Gio was classy enough to admit he fucked up. That sort of play should be penalized.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:05 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Unbelievable that this happened on the last game of the season. Similar scenario given how he was hurt two years ago. Dude plays with speed and reckless abandon and that is to be lauded but may come at a price over a long career.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:03 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Unbelievable that this happened on the last game of the season. Similar scenario given how he was hurt two years ago. Dude plays with speed and reckless abandon and that is to be lauded but may come at a price over a long career.

That's just it though, I could see that argument with a guy like Taylor Hall, who plays a pretty reckless game. But Connor is a lot like Sid in that he's fast but he's also smart and shifty enough not to get in a position where a guy can really level him with a big hit. And the only two times I can remember McDavid suffering a serious injury were at the hands of dirty AF plays (still can't fucking believe the incompetent Oilers thought it was a good idea to bring aboard Brandon Manning. You gotta be kidding me...). He takes risks, but he's far from reckless. And NO player should have to adjust his game because others are getting away with cheap, dirty plays. Absolutely inexcusable on Gio's part. He's a seasoned veteran and one of the best and smartest players in the game at his position. Again, at least he had the wherewithal to acknowledge it was a dumb play on his part. Maybe we'll see defenders play smarter when it comes to that. We'll see. I think that kind of play should start resulting in penalties and/or suspensions. Too often we see scary collisions with the net that result in either the goalie getting dinged or the player crashing the net suffering a major injury. Players can crash the net without it coming to that every time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:53 pm 
King of Men

I watched this game and the replays and I didn't see anything wrong with it other than McDavid getting hurt....tripping was called

https://streamable.com/s/x6k52/wibsvy

Positives, its not broken and he's got all off-season!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:49 pm 
Big in Japan

This team is already nearing the cap next season, but they have a few dumpable players so a smart GM could find some way to wiggle everything around and end up with an improved team.

I wouldn't know how to make the money work, but if Nashville wants some space to make some moves, why not pitch a Larsson+ for Subban? Nashville gets room to go after Panarin or whoever it is they want, Edmo gets the legit blueline ace they've been needing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:29 pm 

E.L. wrote:
This team is already nearing the cap next season, but they have a few dumpable players so a smart GM could find some way to wiggle everything around and end up with an improved team.

I wouldn't know how to make the money work, but if Nashville wants some space to make some moves, why not pitch a Larsson+ for Subban? Nashville gets room to go after Panarin or whoever it is they want, Edmo gets the legit blueline ace they've been needing.

No way in HELL would the dinosaurs remaining in that front office ever go for a move that bold. They're probably still convinced that Kris Russell is worth every penny of his bloated deal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:45 pm 

Sure sounds like it's gonna be Mark Hunter. Can't tell if that's a good idea or not...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:44 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Sure sounds like it's gonna be Mark Hunter. Can't tell if that's a good idea or not...

I mean, never a good sign when your GM spends more time in London, ON than the city you're in.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:07 pm 

Friedman and a bunch of other guys reporting that Ken Holland is set to be the next Oilers GM. Guess being a team president really didn't sit well with him at all.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:51 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Friedman and a bunch of other guys reporting that Ken Holland is set to be the next Oilers GM. Guess being a team president really didn't sit well with him at all.

Hope it's a bad rumor. Would hate to see the Oilers finally get their act together.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:13 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

I mean, never a good sign when your GM spends more time in London, ON than the city you're in.

Heh... a friend of mine grew up in London and said London's got all of the crime and problems of a big city mixed in with all the negative small-town attitudes. The worst of both worlds.

Thank you for everything, Kenny, but also thank you for going out as classy as possible and turning the keys over to Yzerman.

Kenny did some stuff really well but that 1.5 season stretch trying to keep the playoff streak alive was an absolute disaster. Edmonton could be a fresh start, or more of the same if they just do whatever they can to get back into the dance.

Drafting and development should improve over the absolutely fucking shitshow the Oil have been for 10+ years or however far back it goes.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:06 pm 
Big in Japan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:46 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:40 pm 
Big in Japan

This team is looking pretty hopeless and up against the cap, but Holland didn't take the gig just to do the same old same old. What sort of big moves does he have planned?

1. See what he can get for Nuge and Larsson. They're good players but kinda wasted assets here. Plus they're sorta imminent UFAs, so better to deal them now and maybe get 5-6 assets for the pair.

2. Get a goalie. Don't wait for Koskinen to go Talbot on ya before getting a replacement.

3. Get a third line. They don't have one.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:09 pm 
OTP Historian

I feel like this was a big part of Holland's interview:

Bob: We need those goals that Rieder didn't give us to make the playoffs. How are we going to get 12 more goals, Ken?

Ken: Vanek.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:59 am 

Looks like Jesse Puljujarvi got tired of waiting. Signs a deal to return to Finland and play once again for Karpat.

He may try the NHL at a later date...but pretty sure it's safe to say, even at this point, that he's a bust.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next