OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:06 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Lee contract talks stalled. Apparently he wants 7-8 years and they're offering 4-5. That's not good.

I wonder if the next lockout will not only include a salary roll back, but also lopping off 1 year of all contracts with more than 4 years remaining.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:56 am 

Isles clinch a playoff spot with a 5-1 win vs the Sabres. Eberle and Beauvillier heating up at the right time of year.
Lehner was 1st star and during his on-ice interview yelled "playoffs baby, playoffs! Fucking right!" The crowd loved it and MSG+2, the non-HD network they were bumped to in favor of non-playoff bound Knicks and Devils, didn't bother to bleep it. Probably because they put a staff of 3 on Isles games. Good in this case, except watching the game in grainy video. Fuckers.

Trotz was asked how he liked the fans chanting his name as time wound down. He said he appreciates it but would rather they cheer the players, since they're the ones on the ice getting it done. Added "I'm just the pretty face behind the bench".

The Isles barely celebrated on the ice though, as many have said clinching is nice, but this is just the start.
As time wound down, Brendan Burke read off a list of pundits- and where they picked the Isles to finish. They were all at the bottom of the Metro, the East or even the NHL. It was a nice FU to them all and fans love Burke for doing it.

But it's certainly not time to let up. The Leafs could clinch Monday on the Isles' home ice with any sort of win. Fans do not want to see Tavares clinch on their ice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:21 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Apparently someone already made Lehner's quote into a shirt, in case you needed something to get for your daughters.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:57 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Apparently someone already made Lehner's quote into a shirt, in case you needed something to get for your daughters.

They'd fucking love that.
For the record- we believe in slightly different parenting from most people. If one of my kids stubs their toe and screams something like "Jesus motherfucking Christ. Son of a dog shit eating cock sucker!" We'd be fine with that. Tell each other to "shut up"? That will bring the fury from us parents.
And they can punch someone in the face, as long as the other person started it. Never start it. But they'd damn well better finish it. Especially if sticking up for each other, a team mate, friend, etc.
But cursing? Who gives a fuck?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:13 pm 

Tanner Fritz out 6-8 weeks with a blood clot in his hand. Poor bastard played well for the Isles early on but got sent down anyway since he didn't have to pass through waivers when others did. Finally got called back up, played well in like 3 games and is out 6-8 weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:03 pm 
Big in Japan

Isles look comfy in second place, although the Pens are still chasing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:47 am 

E.L. wrote:
Isles look comfy in second place, although the Pens are still chasing.

Wash yer mouth out with hedgehog pee!
I keep hoping the Caps will falter and the Isles will go into game 82 1 point behind the Caps, so 1st place is totally on the line. It would be a hell of a game then! If they're both securely in their positions, it'll be an AHL game, with big names resting. Which may be what is needed in the long run, but I'd prefer a 100 mph game with home ice through at least 2 rounds on the line.

But long before that, the Isles are home tonight vs Tavares and the Leafs, who would clinch a playoff spot with 2 points. Isles don't want that happening. I can't see the Leafs coming in flat with that much on the line, and especially since the Isles have whooped them twice this year, and poor Tavares got yelled at by the mean, classless Islanders fans... who have given ovations to Halak, de Haan, Hamonic, Okposo and several other former Isles this year. Just wanted to point that out. It's only one former Isle that we really don't like.

I've got an old man game tonight, so I'll miss the 3rd period of the Isles-Leafs, and they're not even on the radio around here. :fffffuck: I don't have that pay-to-listen shit, so I'll have to check the score when I get to the rink for my game, and then hopefully watch highlights tomorrow while dancing for joy that the Leafs still aren't officially in. Although, I have a bad feeling the Isles players may let their foot off the gas a little now that they're in, and have a slim-none chance of catching the Caps. I hope not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:54 am 

Leafs with a 2-1 win. First Leafs goal was a softy and Lehner looked like he was about to smash his stick on the post, but he took a skate to the corner and came back calm. Of course, Tavares with the goal that would be the game winner in the third. Isles couldn't keep him off the scoresheet or dominate the Leafs forever. Eberle scored late to make it interesting.

Special report: The Islanders powerplay really, Really, REALLY sucks.

Caps lost too. Yay. Isles at the Panthers Thursday and the Caps on Saturday. Still 3 behind the Caps. I'd love to see them go into Saturday just 1 point down, to make that game for 1st place.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:51 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Chris18 wrote:
Leafs with a 2-1 win. First Leafs goal was a softy and Lehner looked like he was about to smash his stick on the post, but he took a skate to the corner and came back calm. Of course, Tavares with the goal that would be the game winner in the third. Isles couldn't keep him off the scoresheet or dominate the Leafs forever. Eberle scored late to make it interesting.

Caps lost too. Yay. Isles at the Panthers Thursday and the Caps on Saturday. Still 3 behind the Caps. I'd love to see them go into Saturday just 1 point down, to make that game for 1st place.

Will say that first goal hit the high Islanders players stick and was dipping and rolling in the air. Yeah you still as a goalie want it but it is much more problematic and unexpected puck flight than most would realize.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:00 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Will say that first goal hit the high Islanders players stick and was dipping and rolling in the air. Yeah you still as a goalie want it but it is much more problematic and unexpected puck flight than most would realize.

Yeah, I hadn't seen that on the live feed. Saw it today. My bad for insulting Lehner. I just thought it was a soft shot...

Isles were asked a lot of questions recently about this year compared to last year. Clutterbuck threw some serious shade toward Weight. He didn't name him at all, but said that previous years were like being in school when you didn't prepare for a presentation, so you kind of "hoped" everything would go well. Whereas now they are extremely well prepared for all possibilities. Ouch. But totally true, and it was always very obvious.

And while Isles fans definitely threw way less angst Tavares' way in general last night, there is 1 video of some drunk whacko yelling at Tavares when he went into the penalty box. Dude yells about how he's a liar, could have asked for a trade so they'd get something, he misses him, etc. It's weird. The security guard kind of slinks down like he's trying to hide, but he's laughing. I feel like it's more AT the guy yelling though. But you can see Tavares look right at the guy like "wtf is going to happen here".

Panthers on Thursday.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:28 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
They'd fucking love that.
For the record- we believe in slightly different parenting from most people. If one of my kids stubs their toe and screams something like "Jesus motherfucking Christ. Son of a dog shit eating cock sucker!" We'd be fine with that. Tell each other to "shut up"? That will bring the fury from us parents.
And they can punch someone in the face, as long as the other person started it. Never start it. But they'd damn well better finish it. Especially if sticking up for each other, a team mate, friend, etc.
But cursing? Who gives a fuck?

Hah. Nice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:59 am 

In typical fashion, the ulcer-inducing Islanders beat the Panthers- in the 4th round of a shootout.
Nelson scored in the 2nd on a nice play/battle by Toews to keep it in. He chipped it up to Bailey, who passed to Dal Colle, who fed Nelson in the high slot. So Toews created the play but gets no point.
Cizikas appeared to beat out an icing but the linesman blew the whistle. Faceoff went to the Isles zone and Hickey got tangled up with a Panther, who went down, and Hickey got called for hooking. The icing had been whistled before Cizikas and the Panther were at the faceoff dot, so the Isles were pissed about the whole turn of events. But they had PPs of their own- to waste, passing to guys in no position to shoot, while 2 just stand down low as the designated rebounders. They have to change this shit up for the playoffs.
End of first period the Panthers thought they had scored- turned out the puck never crossed the goal line until after the period ended and Greiss thought they had scored, kicked it in himself while turning to get up. Replay is a good thing because it was originally called a goal.

The damned Caps won, clinching first place. Isles sit 2 ahead of Pittsburgh but have no guarantee of 2nd place. Isles and Pens both have 42 ROW, so if the Isles lose in regulation and the Pens win in OT or sooner, they would have the first tie breaker for 2nd place. So the Isles need to win Saturday. I'd say I hope the Caps rest a bunch of starters, but call ups and backups seem to play very well vs the Isles. They just need to get at least 1 point vs the Caps, as the Pens will probably whoop the Rangers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:47 am 
Big in Japan

Glad to see Toews carve out a spot. I thought it was insane he didn't make the big club right away.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:49 am 
Big in Japan

Quote:
@jonmorosi
Hockey observation: After 81 games, the #Isles have two more points than the #Leafs . . .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:00 am 

E.L. wrote:
Glad to see Toews carve out a spot. I thought it was insane he didn't make the big club right away.

I think it was purely a waiver-based situation at the time. Thankfully, Sbisa played himself out of the lineup early on and hasn't been seen since. And he really shouldn't get in tonight since a win would solidify home ice in the 1st round.

So big game for the Isles and one that means nothing to the Caps tonight. Go Isles!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:13 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Sbisa's still in the league? Must be a 7-8 D-man on isles at this point. He sure delivers a great pizza.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:59 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
Sbisa's still in the league? Must be a 7-8 D-man on isles at this point. He sure delivers a great pizza.

Indeed, he's their 7-8 D-man. Actually, he could be considered the 8-9. They have Hickey rotating in for people who need rest (read- Boychuk), so Hickey is 7th. Then they have Sbisa and Seidenberg. Sbisa played a few games early on and Trotz seemed unimpressed.

So with the D corps that they've used, and the resurgence of both Greiss and Lehner under Korn and Greco, the Isles surrendered exactly ONE HUNDRED less goals this year than last year. Fucking astounding. Trotz wasn't kidding when he first took the job and proclaimed that "fixing that would be easy". Good enough for Greiss and Lehner to take the Jennings Trophy. Isles haven't won much hardware in the past 35-40 years, so that's awesome.

It will in fact be the Isles vs Pens, with the Isles having home ice advantage. Shame they finished 1 point behind the Caps. Would have been awesome to win the division for the first time in 31 years. But this is the first time they'll have home ice in a series since that same 31 year span. Holy shit.

Oh - 3-0 win vs the Caps in game 82. Filppula returned from his hyper extended elbow- and scored 2 goals. Martin with the empty netter. Lehner was great when he needed to be, and calmly turned everything else aside.

Looking forward to the playoffs, regardless of how they do vs the Pens. You know Crosby will score a shitload. Can the Isles shut down their other guys, and which Matt Murray will show up? And of course- can the Isles actually score a PP goal? If not, the Pens may get a lead and then just beat the shit out of the Isles, not worrying about playing short. Letang not being concerned about taking a penalty doesn't sound good for Lee, who always has great battles with Letang.

At this point, I'm just happy they proved everyone, including me, wrong and made the dance.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:16 am 
OTP Historian

Man...they lose Tavares and make a bunch of widely panned signings. But they get some coaching and defensive systems and goaltending. What a turn of events for the Isles and their fans. Glad to see this happened for you, Chris.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:43 am 
Big in Japan

They were pretty consistently good all season, too. Merited their spot in the standings. So the playoff home gates will be in BK?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:28 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

E.L. wrote:
They were pretty consistently good all season, too. Merited their spot in the standings. So the playoff home gates will be in BK?

I thought Chris had said that the first round would be in Uniondale.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next