OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:58 am 

what a fantastic read, thanks Bosc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:25 pm 
Big in Japan

Oh no the Jackets are falling apart.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:27 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I mean, they won, but when stuff like this happens...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 147030002/

Torts is gone for sure. I can't imagine Jarmo will survive this either.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:54 am 
Big in Japan

Jax preparing for life without Bob: Swiss League G Elvis Merzlikins about to head over.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:42 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Jax preparing for life without Bob: Swiss League G Elvis Merzlikins about to head over.

Elvis? That is going to make for so many fun headlines.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:47 pm 

Still won't be anywhere near as fun as "YOU'RE OFF THE FORCE!"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:28 pm 

Good heavens...this franchise truly is cursed.

https://theathletic.com/878985/2019/03/ ... cleveland/

Quote:
EDMONTON, Alberta — The Blue Jackets’ plans for prospect goaltender Elvis Merzlikins have hit a snag before the Latvian-born 24-year-old has even arrived in North America.

Merzlikins still is set to sign a one-year entry-level contract with the Jackets, a deal that is nearly completed and could be announced at any time.

But Merzlikins won’t be going to Cleveland to play for the Blue Jackets’ top minor-league affiliate as the Jackets’ brass had hoped.

The plan was for Merzlikins to sign a tryout agreement as defenseman Zach Werenski did with Cleveland in 2015-16. But if Merzlikins had signed such an agreement, it would have pushed his one-year entry-level contract to next season.

According to multiple sources in Europe, Merzlikins is using the leverage he’s gained during an exemplary run in Switzerland the past five seasons to avoid playing in the AHL altogether.

He’s also using his status — many consider him the best goalie outside the NHL — to dictate terms against the Blue Jackets, who might be looking for a new No. 1 goaltender next season with the expected departure of Sergei Bobrovsky via free agency this summer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:00 am 

That's the karma for hiring Torts.

Wouldn't he have to pass through waivers upon arriving? I've seen a few "goalie coming from Europe" situations that included waivers... One involving the Blue Jackets... :doom:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:11 am 

Chris18 wrote:

Wouldn't he have to pass through waivers upon arriving? I've seen a few "goalie coming from Europe" situations that included waivers... One involving the Blue Jackets... :doom:

Near as I can tell, he can sign, he just can't play.

The plan was to sign him to the one-year deal and send him to Cleveland on an Amateur Tryout (ATO) that would allow him to play in the AHL to finish out the year and the NHL contract to slide into next season. But apparently Elvis wants nothing to do with the minors. He, like everyone else, knows the Jackets are up against the wall and is forcing their hand.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:42 pm 
Big in Japan

:doh:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:24 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Near as I can tell, he can sign, he just can't play.

The plan was to sign him to the one-year deal and send him to Cleveland on an Amateur Tryout (ATO) that would allow him to play in the AHL to finish out the year and the NHL contract to slide into next season. But apparently Elvis wants nothing to do with the minors. He, like everyone else, knows the Jackets are up against the wall and is forcing their hand.

It's also long term karma for stealing Dubieliwicz from the Isles when they brought him back over from Russia. He was at the Coliseum, getting his pads wrapped in Isles colors when he was informed he'd have to change that to BJ blue.

Nobody remembers that. But everyone remembers the Isles picking up Nabokov on waivers in the same situation like 3 years later.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:33 pm 

Ahhhh, Dubie! Forgot about that guy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:33 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Ahhhh, Dubie! Forgot about that guy.

Everyone does! Met him a few times while he was in Bridgeport. Great guy.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:13 pm 
Big in Japan

:doh:

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:09 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Let's go Jerks.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:56 am 

A shame. I really didn't want that fucking clown Marchand and the Bruins to advance, but I figured the Jax weren't quite good enough to derail a team that talented.

And now Winter has come...in the spring. Jarmo has a ton of work ahead of him. I don't recall any GM being in the situation he's in now.

I'm guessing Lumbus loses John Davidson to the Rangers. Other than that I guess most everyone is coming back as far as off-ice personnel go. It's the on-ice guys I have absolutely no clue about.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:14 pm 
Big in Japan

I've said it before on here that I think the team has enough of a nucleus to be good next season.

Yes, they'll need to replace the most dynamic offensive player they've ever had, but there are enough goalies internally (Korp, Elvis, Tarasov) and on the market to replace Bob.

Werenski, Jones, Savard, Gavrikov, Murray, Nutivaara is as solid a top 6 as you'll find, and they've got depth in Kukan, Harrington. They could potentially trade a defenceman for scoring if they strike out on the market.

It's a shame Dzingel got mixed reviews as a Jacket, because as an Ohio State prod he seemed like an easy re-sign target. They might still keep him.

I honestly think they're favourites to sign Duchene. They're a good organization, and I think a good fit for the laid back Matt.

Texier will be a superstar in a couple of years. Wennberg will be shipped out. Not a Torts guy.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:07 pm 
Big in Japan

Oh, fuck: John Davidson departs as president of hockey ops. Rumoured to be taking the Ranger job.

A talent drain is one thing, a brain drain is another. JD brought respectability to this franchise and I liked his outside the box hiring of Jarmo as GM.

Would have to imagine they'll explore bumping Jarmo up to Prez while giving Bill Zito, a perennial GM candidate elsewhere, the reins.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:52 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Oh, fuck: John Davidson departs as president of hockey ops. Rumoured to be taking the Ranger job.

A talent drain is one thing, a brain drain is another. JD brought respectability to this franchise and I liked his outside the box hiring of Jarmo as GM.

Would have to imagine they'll explore bumping Jarmo up to Prez while giving Bill Zito, a perennial GM candidate elsewhere, the reins.

Doesn't sound like they're going to do that per se. Jarmo gets the additional title of "Alternate Governor" which I've always found amusing. Apparently they're just not going to have a President of Hockey Operations going forward. They have a team president and owner above the GM (and Alternate Governor) so they SHOULD be okay, though now there's one less person between Jarmo and the firing line right when he's facing up with the most challenging offseason of his career.

I wonder what JD will do when he takes over at MSG. I'm still not quite convinced the GM and coach in place are the right guys, he'll probably take a couple seasons to see if they are.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:04 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Doesn't sound like they're going to do that per se. Jarmo gets the additional title of "Alternate Governor" which I've always found amusing. Apparently they're just not going to have a President of Hockey Operations going forward. They have a team president and owner above the GM (and Alternate Governor) so they SHOULD be okay, though now there's one less person between Jarmo and the firing line right when he's facing up with the most challenging offseason of his career.

I wonder what JD will do when he takes over at MSG. I'm still not quite convinced the GM and coach in place are the right guys, he'll probably take a couple seasons to see if they are.

Davidson has always craved this Rangers job. As much as I find him incredibly annoying, it's nice to see him finally get where he always wanted to be. That said, I hope he fucks it up royally. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next