OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:19 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I kinda like Rittich. Dude's got some attitude reminiscent of Roy. I'm sure 3living would be thrilled if he bumped Smith down to #2.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:08 am 
Big in Japan

Rittich looked really solid last night on the road in Montreal. He's 26 and undrafted, but sometimes goalies take a while to tighten up their fundamentals. The Flames might have their succession plan already in place. He'll get a lot of starts this season, at least, to keep Smith fresh.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:56 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Hamonic is hurt? WTF happened now?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:20 pm 

Chris18 wrote:

Broke his face in a fight with Erik Gudbranson.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:48 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Ohhhhhh. Well that's never good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:38 pm 
King of Men

Chris18 wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Ohhhhhh. Well that's never good.

I seriously had to look this up....saying I didn't realize Hamonic was still missing proves how noticeable he actually is....and how easily Andersen and Vallamaki can replace him. The only thing I have noticed is how shitty TJ Brodie plays D....even when he is with Gio. I think in years past he has gotten away with it but now that the talent around him is becoming better his plateaued game is in question.

Anyway

Quote:
Travis Hamonic (facial fracture) has been taken off the injured reserve list.
Hamonic hasn't played since Oct. 3. He had a goal and 11 points in 74 contests last season. Oct 25 - 3:10 PM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:14 am 

I'm tellin' ya, Don Maloney convinced Brad Treliving to trade for Mike Smith so that he could snag his job. Crafty...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:43 am 
King of Men

James Neal benched....ouch....Peters has his work cut out here. At 31 getting paid 5 Mil a year I wouldn't care if you paid me or not. I don't think benching helps. Let him play on the top line PERIOD don't care how Lindholm is playing. The new Brouwer....oh god I hope not. This could be Treliving's nail in the coffin.

Mike Smith is about at the end of his career.....but that was easy to see going into this year and unaddressed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:43 am 

Why in God's name is Calgary continuing to waste their time with Mike Smith? He literally cost them the game against the Habs tonight. Rittich has been worlds better, just make the goddamn switch. They're trying to avoid the dreaded "goaltending controversy." Well...there isn't one, it's clear who's better and who sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:49 am 
King of Men

Bad game AGAIN from Mike Smith. Its time to see what's up in Rittich. I take back what i said about Lindholm....leave that guy alone.....James Neal is going to have to figure it out. That GWG was atrocious.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:20 pm 
King of Men

Matthew Tckathucckck irritated the shit out of the oilers on Saturday night. Full on turtle mode when Kassian started chasing him.

I'm an old school guy and I don't like the turtle but the NHL has changed over the years and the folks crying about Tckachuk doing that can't have it both ways.

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet960/status ... 8219591680

He doesn't have to fight Kassian or anyone for that matter....and the new NHL does not give other goonery types the right to take him to task for it. Sorry folks if you don't like it you should have spoke up many years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:41 pm 

Apparently Tkachuk got someone in the Edmonton media so riled up that during Bill Peters' scrum he yelled out "Your guy turtled!"

Let's not act like Kassian is some Man of Honour or something. He tried starting shit like three or four times in the Edmonton/Colorado game, crashing the net well after the whistle and then getting all huffy when he got manhandled by the defensemen. :lol:

Honestly I don't think guys dropping their gloves does anything to deter irritants like Keith's oldest boy anyway. It never slowed down guys like Matt Cooke or Esa Tikkanen, it wouldn't do anything here either.

Speaking as an Avs fan I'm quite all right with the Flames continuing to trot out Mike Smith.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:37 am 
King of Men

I suppose its like Porch Pirates! You can't do shit to them while they steal your packages.....and that video camera doesn't do much either

Anyway.....this team is f'n rolling! Its nice not to be out by Christmas or wondering how they are going to back into the playoffs.

Nothing at all to complain about.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:15 pm 

I'll say it again, Chronicles of Rittich (not my idea, heard it on NHL Radio) is the perfect goalie for these guys. Dude is fiery (no pun intended) as all hell. And that's a good thing because for whatever reason Gillies ain't doin' so good in Stockton.

Hottest team (again, no pun intended) in hockey right now. Perfect mix of skill and grit, and Giordano has re-found his elite game. I think at some point they'll level out a bit but I don't think it's a stretch at all to say these guys should end up with the Pacific title at season's end barring some unforeseen collapse down the stretch.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:19 pm 
King of Men

Nothing I like better than a Boston/Calgary matchup at 5pm in Boston. This was an ego softener for the Flames. The Flames would tie and then 30 seconds later the Bruins would score. Happened a few times. Mike Smith.....was.......Mike Smith and probably.....well ok more than likely lost that game for them on a 5 hole goal that Big Bertha could have driven through.

It is interesting to watch Pastrnak, Marchand and Bergeron get up for a team like this and they were up for the challenge.

Flames on the other hand were stretching and playing their typical fire wagon brand that has worked for them. Johnny has been amazing lately.....he is easily the best player on the ice, even last night. He is everywhere, all the time, and the rest of the Flames team are just recipients of his dazzling ability.

James Neal had several senior moments last night. Flame of the night for me beyond Johnny was Austin Czernak. On a team this deep and with James Neal being the proverbial must play albatross Czernak has not quite done what I thought he was going to do. Last night he faced his old team and looked very motivated and very sharp. He created chances which his linemates were not around to do anything with. He played well in both ends of the ice.

Where the hell has this TJ Brodie been the past 2 years?

The Flames never quit (which is a far cry from last year) and playing this type of hockey you live and die by the goaltender being able to make saves. Last night Mike Smith once again proved he is probably not that guy you want in there playing this type of hockey. Props to the B's for playing a solid game.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:50 pm 
King of Men

Terrible matinee game against the Flyers yesterday....sloppy uncoordinated effort. But somehow they get 2 points in OT! TJ Brodie working hard.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:15 pm 
King of Men

Czarnik working his way up the lineup with his decent play. Johnny on fire. Another game against Chicago where the overall effort was questionable but they managed to capture 2 points. I have to be honest after watching Bennett over the years it might be time for him to move on at the deadline.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:21 pm 
Big in Japan

Forget tempering expectations, the Flames are leading the conference!

Team has an impressive five guys at PPG, including Carolina castoff Elias Lindholm. Rittich is still looking like a no. 1 and hopefully Neal will earn his contract in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:59 am 
King of Men

I don't hockey comment much because the Flames (and the Bruins) have been kick ass. Just enjoying the ride after years of Flaming frustration. Looking forward to the playoffs (as long as its not Vegas in the first round). 10 Guys over 30 points.....Johnny closing in on 100. The last time they were this good was when they were getting screwed out of a Cup by the goal that wasn't and a lockout. I really can't heap enough regular season praise on the Flames right now but its playoff time. The weakness is in net...and that's no secret. As long as they keep scoring it works for now. Typically, that does not translate to a long run come playoff time. I guess we'll see how far it takes them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:55 am 
Big in Japan

harmfuljays wrote:
Looking forward to the playoffs (as long as its not Vegas in the first round).

Best case scenario is Vegas and San Jose demolish each other in the first round.