OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:35 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Quote:
the one stat alone that should win cale makar the hobey baker in a walk:

he plays about 27 minutes a night and when he's on the ice, umass outscores opponents 68-16 (+52).

when he's off, umass is just 57-50 (+7).

https://twitter.com/twolinepass/status/ ... 3053008896

Part of me kinda hopes he DOESN'T win it just because there have been so many past Hobey Baker winners who didn't do jack in the pros.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:39 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Avalanche FINALLY win at 3-on-3 overtime for the first time this season. Ironically, I'm pretty sure the last time they did so, it was against the Wings. Previously, their only wins outside of regulation were in a 4-on-3 power play, and in the shootout.

Overall though I thought this was a pretty pathetic effort. Avs come out slow and uninspired and did not lead at any point during the game, they were chasing throughout. The re-insertion of Ian Cole and Colin Wilson has slowed the team down considerably, and the Avs went out of their way to hand over the game, even committing a goddamn too-many-men penalty in the closing minutes, where they promptly gave up a goal (Filip Zadina's first in the NHL, which managed to deflect off, you guessed it, Ian Cole).

The funny part is, last night's result was best-case scenario for the Avs, because the Wings got a point out of the festivities which kept the gap between them and the last-place Senators around four points (too lazy to look it up).

I heard on the broadcast about how awful the Avs are in OT and that's weird. That top line should be able to win you some OT games. What a shot by MacKinnon.

The booing of Tyler Bertuzzi is so goddamn dumb. Like...what would those fans think if Lightning fans were booing Tyson Barrie?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:37 pm 

To be fair, they didn't start booing him until after the incident with Calvert, but I've always felt booing a guy every time the puck is on his stick is lame, I even thought so when they were doing it with Big Bert, and I cannot STAND it when they do it with Subban. It wouldn't be the first time I've taken exception to something Avs fans at the Pepsi Center do, I've complained for a long time that their goofy marketing and pricing packages attract a lot of the wrong fans.

You would THINK the Avs would be okay in OT at least, but I think one bad habit that has cropped up the last couple seasons has been pure laziness on the defensive side of things. MacKinnon has improved from last season where he just kinda coasted around in the defensive zone, but he's still oftentimes just waiting around for the puck to land on his stick. Some of those bad habits have, for whatever reason, rubbed off on Rantanen and Barrie as well. It also doesn't help that both Varlamov and Grubauer (and Bernier before him) are really bad at stopping breakaways.

I still think it's on coaching though. At some point, Bednar just needed to admit his best players weren't getting it done in OT and tried something else. One of the few times the Avs won in OT last season, guys like Johnson, Zadorov, and Compher played vital roles to secure those few wins. Yet this season he has been insanely stubborn, not trying anything new until the last couple times. I've been very, very disappointed with Bednar's abilities as a coach this season, to the point where I'm not sure he can be the guy to take this team to the next level. He used to be a guy willing to try ANYTHING to make his team better, I don't know where that guy went this season.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:47 am 

Well, you could see it comin'...Avs drop possibly the most important game of the season in pathetic fashion, a 4-0 shutout at the hands of the Dallas Stars, who looked like they were in control the entire game.

I cannot fucking WAIT until Colin goddamn Wilson is off this team. What a useless player.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:20 am 
OTP Historian

Oooh there was something that happened with Bert and Calvert? I didn't see that, just assumed it was the name. Though it might have encouraged it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:01 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Oooh there was something that happened with Bert and Calvert? I didn't see that, just assumed it was the name. Though it might have encouraged it.

Um, yeah, did you forget already? The whole "sucker punch from the bench" thing? You even commented about how Calvert was "waving that thing around like he was drowning" when he got knocked into the bench.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:14 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Um, yeah, did you forget already? The whole "sucker punch from the bench" thing? You even commented about how Calvert was "waving that thing around like he was drowning" when he got knocked into the bench.

Oh shit that, forgot all about that :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:08 pm 

Not like the season was going to be saved anyway, but Gabe Landeskog's year is effectively over. Out four to six weeks with an upper-body injury. Took a hard hit from Big Ben Bishop near the end of last night's loss to the Stars and quickly made his way to the bench. A real shame since he was setting career highs in goals and points and was one of the league leaders in game-winning goals. Derick Brassard takes his place on the top line, but it's kinda moot at this point. Avs management and coaching failed miserably at the worst possible time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:48 pm 

Two teams with absolutely nothing to lose face off today when the Colorado Snow Tumblings and Buffalo Pointy Objects square off.

Zadorov is back in, Landeskog is out.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:25 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Two teams with absolutely nothing to lose face off today when the Colorado Snow Tumblings and Buffalo Pointy Objects square off.

Zadorov is back in, Landeskog is out.

Well you have a potential #1 and #13 pick. That is something to look forward to. Just not this year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:49 pm 

My mistake. The Sabres didn't bother showing up.

3-0 shutout. Avs pile on over 40 shots on net, Sabres put up 7...SEVEN through the first two periods. Grubauer with the shutout, though apart from a couple big saves, one on a shorthanded breakaway, he really wasn't challenged.

Bad news, Sabres got pretty scrappy after pretty bad hit from Zadorov on Jack Eichel. Both Carl Soderberg and Mikko Rantanen received pretty nasty (and illegal) shots to the head. Mikko left the game after his, no word on his status.

Avs now have three 30-goal scorers on the season. Be a real shame if they end up missing the postseason in spite of that.

Also, fan-favorite Gabriel Bourque scores his first goal of the season...an empty netter. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:01 pm 

Urrrrrrrrrrgh......... :doom:

Avs actually get all the help they could possibly ask for in the standings and once again cannot do what needs to be done to get back in the playoff picture. This time it was Petr Mrazek who shuts them out. Though I don't think the Avs played nearly as well as people are saying. Bottom line, good teams find ways to win games like that. The Avs are...not a good team.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:14 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Another loss by the Avs, this time at home to hands of the Ducks. Avs lead 2-0 after one period but had an atrocious 2nd period at least in terms of D-zone cover. Must be frustrating because they have so much current talent and talent on the way, but seem to be in a trend of defeating themselves with a choke job down the stretch. Thought for sure they'd grab one of those wild card spots but now not looking likely.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:30 pm 

Yep, even the homer Altitude broadcasters said if they lost this one the playoffs were pretty much out of reach, and the body language from the players seemed to indicate that they knew as well they blew their last opportunity.

Very sad end to a very promising season, but if you can't even beat the lowly Ducks AT HOME with them coming in having played the night before and you having practically a week's worth of rest...you don't deserve to go to the playoffs.

It may all be for the best. Substantial change is needed. I no longer think Jared Bednar is the right coach for this franchise. He, like Roy, went from a fearless gambler willing to try just about anything to a very staid, conservative bench boss. Not sure why, either.

In any event, Avs fans will not tolerate mediocrity after this season. Hell, we're not really tolerating it THIS year. Joe has to go for it starting next year, and he knows it.

What frustrates me to no end is that the club almost seems more concerned with making certain the Eagles have a successful AHL debut season instead of trying to do everything possible short of selling off any key cogs to make the postseason. You ain't winnin' SHIT with Gabriel Bourque trying and failing to kill penalties. He is, quite possibly, the worst player in the NHL right now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:12 pm 

Avs get a tiny bit of help from Cory Schneider and the hapless Devils in a 3-0 shutout win.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:31 pm 

Hilarious. Avs can make a huge stride toward playoff contention if they manage a win against the Stars tonight, but there's been just as much focus, if not more focus on tonight being the final Altitude broadcast featuring alpha-level hottie rinkside reporter Lauren Gardner. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:06 am 
King of Men

Thank goodness...I found her to be a bit annoying...like the jumbotron and Rycroft.

Workman like effort from the AVs.....I haven't seen them play that complete a team game all season. Grubauer is their #1....no doubt. Bad news....Rantanen goes missing and there are 8 games left.

Like I told the old girl last night.....its just a chance...and even if they do make it Calgary is going to annihilate them. But its better than mailing it in and they managed that performance without having MacKinnon on the scoresheet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:14 am 

I still think there's more benefit for them to battle like hell and hopefully make it even if it is for a fast first round exit than to tank it for two high firsts. This team's gotta learn to win, they gotta learn to battle through adversity. As the Sabres have proven time and time again, you can't just flip a switch and be good again.

A win against the also-desperate Blackhawks WITHOUT Rantanen and Landeskog. This is also a season-high three game pointless streak for Nathan MacKinnon. The fact they're getting it done without the top line when it matters most is actually a good thing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:01 pm 

Word has it Avs prospect and current Boston University forward Shane Bowers, who was a former first rounder of the Sens flipped to Colorado in the Duchene deal, has decided to return for his junior season. While there's a concern he might just stay another year after that and go the free agent route, if he does well I'm confident the Avs will push for a contract in the spring of 2020.

In short, not too worried about the BU kid going back to school...but if the kid currently playing defense for UMass decides not to turn pro, then there'll be mass hysteria.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:09 pm 

Oh I forgot to mention the race for that last wild card is so damn tight that a few days ago when the Avs tied with the Coyotes in points they had to go to the FOURTH tiebreaker to decide who was ahead of whom. They were tied in games played, ROW, and head-to-head points. It came down to goal differential, which the Avs actually easily have the best of among all the teams scrambling for that final spot.

Fun fact: Speaking of goal differential...the Bolts currently have one of +99 :o :shock: :flashfap:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next