OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:47 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
l, but I always did all I could to knock opponents AWAY from my goalie. To me, that was kind of the point of playing D; to be between my goalie/goal and the opposing players. Maybe I under thought or oversimplified it.

I was the same way. I just don't get what goes through the mind of an NHL defenseman that he thinks it's perfectly fine to risk injury to your goalie just to knock around an opposing player. I don't even think it's worth it for a GI penalty.

The worst one I've seen recently was Dion Phaneuf trying to shove a guy past the crease and taking Jonathan Quick with him, leaving the net wide open for a goal. Quick got pissed at Desjardins for not challenging for GI but that would've been a travesty had the call gone LA's way. I'm guessing Desjardins agreed, which is why he didn't challenge. He knows Phaneuf is an idiot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:31 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
I think that covers most of what I wrote/lost this morning, but I know that was written in a more amusing manner. Oh well. Sorry dudes.

Thanks for the re-write buddy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:31 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Lehner is out. Day to day. Probably a concussion.
Now Boychuk is out as well, also probably a concussion. That was sustained when Voracek gave an odd backwards shoulder to Boychuk's chin when Boychuk was going to a loose puck. Voracek got 2 games for it, and Boychuk pointed at him and said "I will get you" as he was helped off the ice. Voracek said he's not happy Boychuk did that. Well I'm sure Boychuk is thrilled you concussed him with a totally unexpected, backwards cheapshot, dipshit.

Anyway. Isles beat the Sens for the 2nd time this week, then lost by THREE to the Flyers for the 2nd time in a week. What the fuck? Greiss looked like stir fried dog shit, as has the PP all year. Ho-Sang was sent back down, and is playing great in the NHL. I thought the "veteran grit" days were gone when they hired Trotz. I guess not. They can't score for shit, and have Ho-Sang toiling the AHL while they struggle with puck possession. I forget the exact numbers, but with Ho-Sang in the lineup, the Isles are something like 35-7-3. Might be even better than that. I forget. But they could use him.

Blue Jackets tonight. They'll probably whoop the Isles, who seem to be done playing above their ability level. Fans are freaking the fuck out that they didn't do shit at the deadline. Sure they're way above what anyone expected, but when they were in 1st for 2 months, it set the bar pretty frigging high. Now they're shitting the bed when they've got like a mere 4 point lead on WC spots. Wonderful.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:49 am 

Ryan Pulock can shoot the puck hard.
He blasted one by Bob in the first that held on to be the game winner vs Clumbus. Lee added an empty netter after some nifty stick work by Filppula along the boards when he got checked. Greiss with the shutout.
2 points behind the Caps with 13 games to go. 87 points in 69 games. Bunch of Jerks and Pens both with 83 in 69.

Habs on Thursday.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:08 am 

Lehner is skating. Woohoo!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:35 am 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
Habs on Thursday.

Habs and Isles meet tomorrow and on the 21st. Could be the difference between the Habs making the playoffs or not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:19 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Habs on Thursday.

Habs and Isles meet tomorrow and on the 21st. Could be the difference between the Habs making the playoffs or not.

And the Isles. They're in 2nd, but by an ass hair. A few bad games could see them on the outside. A few good games could see them in 1st. this time of year is fun and incredibly stressful. :lol:

Story now is Lehner did not have a concussion, but a stiff neck. The joke is that Trotz refused to comment on the injury because he has no idea what a stiff neck feels like, since he has no neck.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:36 pm 

Lehner back in the lineup. Gibson sent back to Bridgeport.
Boychuk skating but not with the team.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:45 am 

Isles squeak a win in a goalie duel (Price vs Greiss). Pelech and Lee with the goals. Lee's on a hell of a play by Barzal with under 3 minutes to go. Stole the puck inside the Isles blueline and rushed up ice 1-1, slowed down to the point that my wife yelled "shoot the damn thing", I replied "nooo, waaaaait" and then Lee was in the frame, received the pass through Petry's legs and buried it.
Refs really let the guys play. Or you could say "let the guys beat the hell out of each other". There was a lot of shit behind the play.

Damn Pens and Caps won, so the Isles just kept pace with both.

Sorry Habbers. I'd like to see your team make the playoffs. Just not at the Isles' expense.

Isles have 8 of their remaining 12 on the road. Red Wings Saturday and Wild Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:28 pm 
Big in Japan

I think that game broke the Habs. You could see the frustration, but they couldn't beat the Isles and just wore down.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:48 am 

E.L. wrote:
I think that game broke the Habs. You could see the frustration, but they couldn't beat the Isles and just wore down.

I hope not. I'd like to see them take out Clumbus, because I don't think any 1 team should be as active as they were at the deadline and be rewarded for it. :lol:

And Montreal being in the playoffs adds a lot of interest to the playoffs. Clumbus being in means more Torts interviews. Bleh.

By the way, I forgot to mention that during that game the other night, Goring's best mistake was saying the Isles had a good foreplay going. :shock: During the game??? Maybe that's why the Habs players looked broken. :lol:

Red Wings at 1 today. Bummer of a time. It's a nice day and I was hoping to clean the cars after a hockey season of eating on the go. Maybe I'll take a 2.5 hour break from that. It'll probably take me all damned day.

Isles still in 2nd, 2 points behind the Caps and 2 ahead of the Pens. Isles have a game in hand on each of them. Bunch of Jerks are six points back of the Isles with the same amount of GP.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:51 am 

Great effort vs the Red Wings, but Bernier was on fire. 2-1 loss. But the Caps and Pens lost too.
Wild today.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:01 am 

Shitty effort vs the Wild, but they get an OT win. Local boys getting 2 huge goals: Lee with the Isles first PP goal since the Paleolithic Age, and Nelson with the OT winner. The refs were awful. The Isles took a bunch of penalties and the Wild were allowed to get away with a ton of hacking. But then the Wild had a goal taken away due to interference (it was). Lee was called for interference the other way, while he was skating backwards and Stalock was 3-4' outside his crease. Just a strange game all around. But the Isles got 2 points. And Eberle got his first goal in 5 weeks, so hopefully that gets him rolling.
Scary moment when Barzal was on a breakaway, trying to settle a bouncing puck. He looked down and Stalock came out to poke check it (successfully) and Barzal went up and over him, hitting the goal post with his neck, taking the goal to the end boards, and just laying there holding his head, face down for a few seconds. He was fine, but had a huge red mark and raspberry on his neck. Miss18.1 got the joke of the day when she said "now there are TWO Hickeys on the team!" Well played kid. :lol:

So, they are tied for first with the Caps, and the Penguins blew a 1-0 lead, giving up the tying goal with 18.8 seconds to go in regulation and the game winner to the Flyers with 4 seconds to go. Isles are 3 points ahead of the Pens, with the game in hand.

10 games left for the Isles, and their playoff magic number is 11. The playoff scenarios will likely go to the wire, as the Isles last game is vs the Caps. Seems really odd to have 2 games vs Western Conference teams in the last 10, but this is the NHL.

3/19 vs Boston
3/21 @ Montreal
3/23 @ Philly 1 PM
3/24 vs Arizona 3 PM (2 extra hours of rest in the back-to-back with travel may help. :lol: )
3/26 @ Clumbus
3/28 @ Jets
3/30 vs Buffalo
4/1 vs Leafs
4/4 @ Panthers
4/6 @ Caps

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:08 am 
OTP Historian

Tied with the Caps for first...amazing!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:05 pm 
Big in Japan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:39 pm 

E.L. wrote:

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. That's brilliant! I love it. Thank you for sharing!

And yes Bosc, being tied for 1st with the defending champs is pretty amazing! After July 1, who the hell predicted this? Certainly not me!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:30 pm 

Bruins tonight. I expect the Isles to get whooped and the Caps to beat the Devils and Pens to win as well. Nothing like a bit of positivity, eh?
Why does this site claim positivity is spelled wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:37 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:

Because it assumes no one would ever use the word "positivity" on the Isles board.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:22 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Because it assumes no one would ever use the word "positivity" on the Isles board.

Damn. You got me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:50 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next