OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 42  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:24 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Bummer. I grew up watching a lot of Laverne and Shirley. Happy Days never clicked with me but that show did.

And she gave us some truly underappreciated films. A League of Their Own, Renaissance Man, and others.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:03 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Ah man Bob Einstein well known as Super Dave has passed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/b ... -1.4963619

Heard they will strap him in the Hurst with genuine Saskatchewan seal skin bindings. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:07 pm 

Goddammit Craig beat me to it. Oh well...I'm leaving my post as is.

A double-whammy to my childhood today.

Mean Gene Okerlund, without a doubt the best known media personality in the field of professional wrestling, died at the age of 76. I honestly thought he was way older than that. I don't follow the sport nowadays but the WWF was a very large part of my formative years. If you followed pro wrestling in the 80s, you knew his name. I learned today his son, Todd Okerlund, was a member of Team USA (Men's hockey) for the 1988 Olympics in Calgary and was briefly an Islanders prospect.

Bob Einstein, comedian, most famous for his character Super Dave Osborne, but also gained notoriety playing Marty Funkhouser on "Curb Your Enthusiasm."

Some stunning facts, at least to me:
1. I did not know his real name until today.
2. I did not know that Albert Brooks is his brother.
3. I also did not know that "Brooks" is a stage name. His real name is "Albert Einstein." :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :shock:

He was, amazingly, also 76.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:28 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Ah man Bob Einstein well known as Super Dave has passed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/b ... -1.4963619

Heard they will strap him in the Hurst with genuine Saskatchewan seal skin bindings. ;)

I so used to love Super Dave Osborne.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:45 pm 

This is fucking bizarre. Now Daryl Dragon, known to all of us as Captain of Captain and Tenille, has died, ALSO at 76 years of age.

I looked it up and yep, Dragon was indeed his legal name. Figures a guy with a built-in musician's name like that would opt not to use it. :laugh:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:55 pm 
King of Men

That's terrible! Looks like Mean Gene had a bad fall and then passed.

Travel well good sir!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exaORSCx_lA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:28 am 
Big in Japan

Talk Talk's Mark Hollis was a musical genius who didn't give two shits about playing the industry game. Made a few hits to retire comfortably on, invented post-rock on two epic cult albums and then checked out of public life. Stopped touring and giving interviews long before, and by the late 90s was hardly heard from again.

For some reason I always thought he'd come back and make new music. Just seemed like too creative a guy to fully leave the biz. But he stuck to his word, became a family man and left us with a few perfect records. Much respect to a man who did things his way.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:16 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Talk Talk's Mark Hollis was a musical genius who didn't give two shits about playing the industry game. Made a few hits to retire comfortably on, invented post-rock on two epic cult albums and then checked out of public life. Stopped touring and giving interviews long before, and by the late 90s was hardly heard from again.

For some reason I always thought he'd come back and make new music. Just seemed like too creative a guy to fully leave the biz. But he stuck to his word, became a family man and left us with a few perfect records. Much respect to a man who did things his way.

Just looked at my record collection because I thought I had a Talk Talk record. Turns out I have a copy of It's My Life and I don't think it was my Dad's. I must have picked it up along the way sometime. Have to give it another listen along with their last 2 albums.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:02 pm 
Big in Japan

Big twofer today: Prodigy's reverse mohawked frontman Keith Flint and 90210's Luke Perry.

Both too young, both larger than life dudes from the 90s who were actually pretty chill and normal in real life.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:10 pm 

There always seems to come a time when a musical act comes out with new material and it sounds tired, dated, or both. That never happened with The Prodigy. Their new music was as powerful and visceral as it was twenty years ago. Very sad news.

As for Luke Perry...egads...dude was enjoying a fitful revival of his acting career, 52 is WAY too young to be dying of a stroke.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:29 pm 
OTPoliceman

Pokecheque wrote:
There always seems to come a time when a musical act comes out with new material and it sounds tired, dated, or both. That never happened with The Prodigy. Their new music was as powerful and visceral as it was twenty years ago. Very sad news.

As for Luke Perry...egads...dude was enjoying a fitful revival of his acting career, 52 is WAY too young to be dying of a stroke.

Even an old rock'n'roller like myself purchased The Prodigy's "The Fat of the Land" after a trip to the U.K. in 1997 where they had performed at Glastonbury at the same time we were visiting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:35 pm 
Big in Japan

drl perfect III wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Even an old rock'n'roller like myself purchased The Prodigy's "The Fat of the Land" after a trip to the U.K. in 1997 where they had performed at Glastonbury at the same time we were visiting.

That performance is legendary! Wish I could've been there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:53 am 
Big in Japan

Mark Hollis, Keith Flint and now Scott Walker all within a month or so of each other. A bad year for my faves.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:30 am 
King of the One-Liner

Ranking Roger of The Beat/English Beat passes away at 56 due to cancer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47714991

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:53 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Hounsy wrote:
Ranking Roger of The Beat/English Beat passes away at 56 due to cancer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47714991

Fucking fuck.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:53 pm 

ANOTHER major Hollywood guy barely into his fifties dies of a stroke: This time it's director John Singleton.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/29/john-s ... ctor-dies/

Whatever your feelings are about Boyz-N-The Hood, the movie was a landmark of its time, shining a light on inner city gang violence with very heartfelt and tragic results. He then took a good hard look at race relations on college campuses with Higher Learning, a movie which still makes me enraged and heartbroken at the same time, and it came out roughly two decades before on-campus rape, on-campus mass shootings, and the resurgence of white nationalism into mainstream culture became front-page news again. He went into more mainstream fare after that but was never really an in-demand director, which I find quite surprising.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:39 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Respected Hockey Journalist Jason Botchford (Athletic, Province) suddenly dies of heart failure at age 48. RIP Botch. Loved your work.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/j ... dead-at-48

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:12 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
ANOTHER major Hollywood guy barely into his fifties dies of a stroke: This time it's director John Singleton.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/29/john-s ... ctor-dies/

Whatever your feelings are about Boyz-N-The Hood, the movie was a landmark of its time, shining a light on inner city gang violence with very heartfelt and tragic results. He then took a good hard look at race relations on college campuses with Higher Learning, a movie which still makes me enraged and heartbroken at the same time, and it came out roughly two decades before on-campus rape, on-campus mass shootings, and the resurgence of white nationalism into mainstream culture became front-page news again. He went into more mainstream fare after that but was never really an in-demand director, which I find quite surprising.

I loved his movies.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:23 am 

Tim Conway RIP. 85.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:49 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Tim Conway RIP. 85.

I rewatched the dentist skit on the Carol Burnett show. Dude was so funny his partner-in-crime Harvey Korman didn't stand a chance and broke constantly. Seriously one of the funniest guys on TV of all time. Didn't know he was battling dementia in recent years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 42  Next