OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 51  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:36 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Crazy to think since it doesn't feel like all that long ago, but nostalgia for the music of the 2000s and early 2010s is a real thing these days.

Hell, even the 90's doesn't seem as long ago as it is. Beautiful Midnight turns 20 this year. Dig is 25! Maybe It's Me and Third Eye Blind, 22.

10,000 Days is 13 years old. Anytime now, Tool...

Some Oasis was on the radio and the wife asked how I feel/felt about them. I said that there were some songs of theirs that I liked but I was never a huge fan. It proceeded to put me on a Radiohead kick because...man there are a lot of Radiohead songs I would take over nearly every big Oasis song.

[Edit]Oh man the timing of this post. After I posted above and logged out, I logged into twitter and got a random like on this post from Sept of last year:

https://twitter.com/BoscUlrich/status/1 ... 3301987328

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:16 pm 
Big in Japan

There are definitely two layers of nostalgia I identify with: MuchMusic 90s and indie blogs in the 00s.

Covers a wide range of music, but those two eras always hit me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:10 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Been on a huge Queen bender ever since seeing the film, which, the more I learn the more mad about the movie I get...they missed out on telling a much better, and much more true story.

I just kind of assumed I'd heard most all of their catalog though, including Hot Space. But turns out I didn't (apart from Under Pressure...which almost doesn't count). All I gotta say after sitting down and listening to it for the first time is, what the fuck, Freddie!?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:31 pm 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Been on a huge Queen bender ever since seeing the film, which, the more I learn the more mad about the movie I get...they missed out on telling a much better, and much more true story.

I just kind of assumed I'd heard most all of their catalog though, including Hot Space. But turns out I didn't (apart from Under Pressure...which almost doesn't count). All I gotta say after sitting down and listening to it for the first time is, what the fuck, Freddie!?

Me too! The Flash Gordon soundtrack is the shit! About 3 weeks ago I sang Don't Stop Me Now all day long for a week straight.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:37 pm 

Yeah the Flash soundtrack has always been a favorite of mine.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:55 pm 
OTP Historian

Wait....is Panic! At The Disco just a more poppy Fallout Boy? I'm not digging it, just figured this would be the topic. I heard High Hopes on the radio credit to Panic and was like...that's who Panic at the Disco is?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:09 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
Wait....is Panic! At The Disco just a more poppy Fallout Boy? I'm not digging it, just figured this would be the topic. I heard High Hopes on the radio credit to Panic and was like...that's who Panic at the Disco is?

High Hopes is the first pop song to be directly influenced by Hamilton the Musical. Once you hear it you can't unhear it. Not surprising considering Brandon Urie was on Broadway too in Kinky Boots.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:47 pm 

Panic loves them showtunes. The wife absolutely LOVES The Greatest Showman and I got her the "Reimagined" soundtrack for Christmas.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:08 pm 
OTP Historian

Ok I figured out where my confusion stems from. I heard them on the radio and remembered that they have an exclamation point in their name. I was surprised because I remembered that I think E.L. and/or Sask liked really band with an exclamation point, but was very confused because Panic didn't strike me as anything that you guys would like. I've been thinking about it and realized that I think I had them mixed with Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Just remembered now that they had one too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:58 pm 
Big in Japan

One of the greatest songs of all time turned 20 this year: http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/20 ... key-tracks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:53 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
One of the greatest songs of all time turned 20 this year: http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/20 ... key-tracks

Drinking in LA turned 20 a couple of years back already, man.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:50 pm 
Big in Japan

Speaking of the 90s, Montreal's big outdoor fest Osheaga announced their lineup today and while in recent years they've skewed way younger, this time around they booked the Chemical Brothers as headliners. Their first Canadian appearance in 17 years, supposedly.

The kids who frequent the fest are pissed because they've never heard of them. I am extremely stoked.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:57 pm 

What do Canadians think of Alanis Morrisette? I've really never cared for her music, but no denying she ruled the airwaves when Jagged Little Pill came out in the 90s.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:05 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
What do Canadians think of Alanis Morrisette? I've really never cared for her music, but no denying she ruled the airwaves when Jagged Little Pill came out in the 90s.

Jagged Little Pill got big in the US first. At the time Canadians still remembered her as a failed pop star.

That said, I'm a huge avowed fan of Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie. It's the Canadian Be Here Now: a bit too long but the ideas are first rate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:12 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Jagged Little Pill got big in the US first. At the time Canadians still remembered her as a failed pop star.

That said, I'm a huge avowed fan of Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie. It's the Canadian Be Here Now: a bit too long but the ideas are first rate

Personal related tangent!

One of the first gifts I gave to my wife was a new tape/cd player for her birthday because her old one busted and she used to have dance parties with tapes, Jagged Little Pill being one of the most frequently played.

When we married our CD collection, collectively the only Oasis CD we have is her copy of Be Here Now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:44 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Gary Clark Jr, This Land

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:37 pm 

Still on my Queen obsession.

Freddie Mercury's final recorded vocal performance. I suppose, given the nature of this song and its lyrics it is perhaps fitting that he was unable to finish the song and the voice you hear on the final verse is actually Brian May's. The very end of the tune features a clip of every Queen song ever mashed together and ran at high speed, followed by Freddie's first-ever recorded vocal performance, done under an alias.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:23 pm 
Big in Japan

The 25th anniversary remaster of Hootie and the Blowfish's Cracked Rear View is out and it's such a guilty pleasure listen. A breezy slice of pop Americana.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:40 pm 

E.L. wrote:
The 25th anniversary remaster of Hootie and the Blowfish's Cracked Rear View is out and it's such a guilty pleasure listen. A breezy slice of pop Americana.

Ugh...Hootie.

I'm sure Darius Rucker is a super-chill guy to hang with though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:41 pm 
OTP Clown

I have Fela Kuti on constant loop right now.

That and Curtis Harding.

And Michael Kiwanuka.

It's fun to dance around and sing: "I'm a black man in a white world" at.the too of my lungs...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 51  Next