OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:15 pm 
Big in Japan

Everyone knows the Cats have an amazing young corps led by Barkov, but I think they've also amassed enough depth to take a major step forward this year.

Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad
Huberdeau-Trocheck-Hoffman
Vatrano-McCann-Malgin
Mamin-MacKenzie-Sceviour

Yandle-Ekblad
Matheson-Pysyk
Weegar-Petrovic

Luongo

Injured: Kiselevich, McGinn

Following a decorated KHL career, D Bogdan Kiselevich only didn't make the opening night roster because of a broken jaw. He asked to play with a shield and they said no. He's no rookie, and I think an important piece in giving them a really solid top-6.

They got Hoffman's 30 goals for a song and dance. Borgstrom will be up by Christmas once he gets acclimated. Barkov has another gear he'll find this season, and so does Huberdeau if he's healthy. They've found a role for Bjugstad that works.

They've got trade pieces that will allow them to play for pending UFAs like Panarin or Bobrovsky if Lou and Reimer falter.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:47 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Very talented team, especially at center. I still have reservations about that defense though.

I guarantee a lot of players told their WAGs to keep a safe distance from Monika Caryk.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:20 pm 

Jaysus Christ was Tallon terrible about getting this team goaltending. Hutchinson has been an outright disaster to start, and they're just not using Reimer for whatever reason. Kinda dumb considering the main guy is 39 and is already showing signs of wear and tear. I get their D corps isn't great but that's the #1 reason they're losing games. Virtually every one of their games includes a blown loss of some kind, not sure why media-types are so reluctant to just flat-out say the goaltending has been awful.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:30 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Luongo's injury in game one of the season is absolutely killing the Panthers right now. Check out these save percentages.

.870 Reimer
.839 Hutchinson

The Panthers are also outshooting their opponents 34-28 on average per game so there's that. Not good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:40 pm 

Such a stupid, stupid move to let Harri Sateri walk and opt for Hutchinson. They're gonna need to do something, and soon.

Steve Mason is far from the sexiest option but he's probably the best one all things considered. They can't afford yet another horrid start.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:03 pm 
Big in Japan

It's why I don't gamble... :doh:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:40 pm 

This is why you don't dive headlong into analytics without actually knowing what analytics is. They abruptly changed course after a breakout season, made wholesale personnel changes (which many actual analytics experts railed against), fired the coach in the most clumsy and embarrassing way possible, then panicked and brought the anti-analytics guy back when things predictably went south, and THAT guy who clearly went out of his way to clear out each and every player the other guy brought in.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:33 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
This is why you don't dive headlong into analytics without actually knowing what analytics is. They abruptly changed course after a breakout season, made wholesale personnel changes (which many actual analytics experts railed against), fired the coach in the most clumsy and embarrassing way possible, then panicked and brought the anti-analytics guy back when things predictably went south, and THAT guy who clearly went out of his way to clear out each and every player the other guy brought in.

The knee-jerk changes didn't help, especially firing Gallant, but this is still a team with Barkov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Ekblad and Matheson. They should win regardless of who's shuffling the deck chairs on the other lines.

Goaltending is doing them in for now, but Reimer should be respectable and Lou should stabilize things.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:54 pm 
Big in Japan

OK, Lou is back and the Cats are starting to roll.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:27 pm 

Aaaaand Lou is out again.

What's worse, Vinny Trocheck took a nasty spill (won't link to the video) and is out indefinitely with a broken ankle.

Cats are currently the third-worst team in the National Hockey League (tied in points with St. Louis with 19 in 20 games). Looks like yet another lost season for the franchise that just can't ever seem to put it together.

On the bright side, Mike Hoffman had a 17-game points streak come to an end just recently.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:41 pm 

https://twitter.com/shawngilligan/statu ... 4578254848

:effort:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:22 pm 

I'm told you can get tickets that are ridiculously close for like, 7 bucks in Sunrise.

This just doesn't look good at all. Move these guys to Quebec City already.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:37 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

They sell out during vacation times, when folks from cold states go down to warm up in FL, but want to do something at night. So it kind of sets up a false sense of a fan base. I know this happens, because I went to a game the time I was down there. Panthers vs Bruins. Why'd we go? Because we wanted to check off another NHL rink we'd been to. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:51 pm 
Big in Japan

This was not their season. Bjugstad and his once affordable deal is now in Pittsburgh. They're clearing cap space for an eventual run at Panarin and Bobrovsky, so says Bobby Mac.

Not sure what happened here. Their stars look alright on paper, and they have reasonable depth. The defence is shallow and losing Petrovic didn't help. Goaltending has been a mess, mind you.

Going All-Russia in this market makes a whole lot of sense.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:02 pm 

I think their defense was always vastly overrated. Florida brass bet big on Aaron Ekblad and he's look pretty ordinary since Brian Campbell left. They also went big on Mike Matheson, who's been getting absolutely murdered in terms of shot metrics, or so I'm told.

Goaltending has obviously been a huge, huge issue. Luongo has missed time due to injury and since coming back he's kinda looking his age in net. Their desire to transition to James Reimer has completely blown up in their faces as well.

If I was just going off their forward corps I'd say they were at the very least, a playoff team, if not better.

I do wonder if Boughner will get the axe after this season, but you can't just keep firing coaches. The weird management shuffle this team has done by booting Tallon upstairs, then panicking when Rowe wasn't up to the task has cost this franchise dearly.

That's why I kinda think the Panthros will always be doomed. Flaky owners making flaky personnel decisions, all while no one attends games in Sunrise, which is a ridiculous location for this team. I think, ultimately, we'll see them move somewhere, I'm guessing to Quebec City, where they might have a shot at really doing something.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:47 pm 
Big in Japan

https://www.tsn.ca/panthers-huberdeau-j ... -1.1255876

Huberdeau on the block. Nice salary going forward. Could be used in a Panarin/Bobrovsky deal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:23 pm 

E.L. wrote:
https://www.tsn.ca/panthers-huberdeau-joins-tsn-trade-bait-board-1.1255876

Huberdeau on the block. Nice salary going forward. Could be used in a Panarin/Bobrovsky deal.

I still think back to that draft and wonder how FLA would've been doing at this point had they taken Couturier instead. I don't recall the last time the WJC affected two players' draft fortunes in a single draft the way it did Couts and Huberdeau. The former's stock fell considerably and the latter's rose about the same proportion. Now...of course, FLA is one of the few teams not hurting in terms of center depth. They got Barkov, they got Trocheck, and Borgstrom looks like he'll be a huge impact player in the years to come. But, I still can't help but think that Hubie just hasn't had the same kind of impact that Couturier has had for Philly. Anyhow, moot point, looks like this Bob/Bread to Florida thing is gonna happen...