OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:38 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Next Gen game!?!?

I'm 47 win a cup in my lifetime before you worry about other generations.

Wait your turn, this one is for the generation before yours so they can see it and hit the early bird special ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:23 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Not often you can say the smallish Avalanche outmuscled an oppenent but they kinda did tonight against the Leafies. Carl Soderberg centered a newly-formed "grit" line and it actually worked...for one game at least.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:12 pm 
King of the One-Liner

The Leafs lost all momentum of late. The right side of D problem has caught up to them and Gardiner is back to doing "Gardiner" things in his own end but now with out the offense to make up for it. Not sure they can improve it by the deadline. The offense will once again get around to outscoring the problems against most teams and the team will get to the low hundreds for points, but clearly they are not finished putting the pieces together for the right mix. Not sure how willing they are at the deadline to add any contracts that go into next season with the Matthews, Marner, and Kap all up for contracts.

I do see better work by the forwards this year than last on the defensive side and that was expected with the additions and subtractions, but what is really concerning is Hainsey who has been counted on to eat lots of minutes is noticeably taken a step back so far and is running out of time and space all the time and missing simple plays, particularly on the PK.

In some ways it is almost good that the big hole they have is pretty obvious, though it has been since last season and here we are. They really need Nylander to get his game going so he can have the value to help fix the hole.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:38 pm 

The top pairing of Hainsey/Rielly got eaten alive in terms of possession last night, and I'm not about to attribute that to Rielly. I get Babs doesn't want to overwhelm Dermott but I think he needs to at least try Travis alongside Morgan and bump Ron to the third pair. No idea what to make of Zaitsev but he didn't impress me much last night. I'm positive Dubas would love nothing more than to be free of that contract.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:17 pm 

BTW, Leafs fans need to chill the F out. I get last night was not his best outing but y'all don't need to be booing Jake. He's the team's 2nd best defenseman.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:59 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Pokecheque wrote:
BTW, Leafs fans need to chill the F out. I get last night was not his best outing but y'all don't need to be booing Jake. He's the team's 2nd best defenseman.

I was unhappy with Gardner long before it was cool. Sorry he has no motor and it is frustrating as a little hustle is all that stands between him and being really good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:34 am 

Hounsy wrote:
I was unhappy with Gardner long before it was cool. Sorry he has no motor and it is frustrating as a little hustle is all that stands between him and being really good.

Well, he's likely gone this season anyway...ironically it's Zaitsev who has a lot to do with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:41 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

I'm not sure that there is a more universally despised Leaf among beer-league Leaf fans than Gardiner. Literally any Leaf fan I've played with has wanted him gone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:50 am 
King of the One-Liner

The whole right side is worse than Gardiner, but they are limited by ability so you shrug your shoulders when things happen. Gardner could be so much better if he just skated hard retrieving pucks and was not afraid to take a hit to make a play. If they could replace his offensive left side d man value with an equal right side defensive minute eater value it would be awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:31 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Leafs acquire defenceman Jake Muzzin from Kings - in exchange for 2nd round draft pick Carl Grundstrom (AHL LW prospect from Sweden, aged 21), the rights to Sean Durzi and Toronto’s first-round pick in 2019.

So that's the cost for a semi-elite veteran D-man. Sheesh.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/map ... zin-kings/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:50 pm 

Good trade, I don't think Toronto gave up too much either. It's also insurance in the likely event Jake Gardiner heads elsewhere after this season.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:16 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Yeah this pretty much closes the book on Gardiner and I am good with that as Muzzin is a much better fit for what the Leafs need in the line up. Happy to see they made a move for help got a pretty good player and still kept Kappy, Liljegren, Bracco, and Sandin. Still think trading Nylander in the summer is part of the Leafs plans.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:37 pm 
Big in Japan

1st rounders continue to be worth a ton. Muzzin is cheap next season, which is nice for TO.

Should work out for both. Kings need picks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:15 pm 

Still seems like a lot to give up for a 30 year old decent, but by no means fleet of foot d-man. Suppose he provides added grit for the playoffs. They need him to play the right side but doesn’t he usually play on the left side?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:13 pm 
Big in Japan

Former NHL coach and annoying talking head Michel Bergeron thinks with Muzzin the Leafs got a Karl Alzner i.e. over the hill guy

https://www.tvasports.ca/2019/02/01/les ... l-bergeron

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:34 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Former NHL coach and annoying talking head Michel Bergeron thinks with Muzzin the Leafs got a Karl Alzner i.e. over the hill guy

https://www.tvasports.ca/2019/02/01/les ... l-bergeron

Lol they got him for a season and a half, not 5. Muzzin can skate. Muzzin's career best in points is double what alzner's is.

https://public.tableau.com/shared/Q82HR ... _count=yes

https://public.tableau.com/shared/57R5H ... _count=yes

But yes. Leafs got themselves an Alzner because they are similar size and age when they acquired them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:59 am 

Huge come from behind win for the Leafs over the Habs after being down 3-0 after one period. Missed the game but what happened to the Habs? Did they just stop playing after the 1st?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:29 am 
King of the One-Liner

The Leafs played better for 2/3rds or the game but the habs had a really good ten minutes in the middle of the first. Yeah the Leafs got a hell of a bounce to tie it in the third but play in the other teams end more and you get more bounces that end up in the other teams net.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:49 am 
Big in Japan

Hate to say it, but I thought Weber looked real slow against the Leafs. Felt like it was a matter of time until the Leafs came back.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:16 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Matthews threw Weber to the ice at one point rather forcibly. Man, if Matthews ever figures out how big he is he could add another dimension to his game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next