OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: 2019 MLB Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:46 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Mariano Rivera ends one of, if not THE dumbest tradition in American sports by becoming the first-ever player in baseball history to be unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2582 ... -hall-fame

Also elected: DH extraordinaire Edgar Martinez, pitcher Mike Mussina, and MY HOMETOWN BOY, the late, great Roy Halladay. I hope they opt to put his name on the welcome signs on the outskirts.

Guys like Clemens, Schilling, Bonds, and McGriff don't make it in. Larry Walker, who should be a no-brainer IMO (and I've stated that I have never been a huge fan of his), made some headway but also didn't make the cut.

I kinda don't get the Schilling thing either. Yeah, dude is a complete and total asswipe, but I would think he's done more than enough to warrant enshrinement. Maybe I'm wrong, not like I'm gonna campaign for his induction.

Post subject: Re: 2019 MLB Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:26 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
I kinda don't get the Schilling thing either. Yeah, dude is a complete and total asswipe, but I would think he's done more than enough to warrant enshrinement. Maybe I'm wrong, not like I'm gonna campaign for his induction.
Dude collects Nazi paraphernalia. Nuff said.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:28 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Dude collects Nazi paraphernalia. Nuff said.

Didn't know that part. I knew about the evolution denial and the fact that he defrauded an entire state out of millions in order to make video games though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:24 pm 
Big in Japan

Pitchers and catchers report in a week and Harper and Machado still haven't signed. This is excruciatiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:14 pm 

Baseball just feels like it's so broken right now. And the rule changes they're proposing sound horrendous.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:57 pm 
Big in Japan

Baseball can't help but fuck itself over. They're making record revenues, have an influx of charismatic, talented young kids and instead most teams are giving up because it's too easy to horde draft picks and slot money. And their solution is a pitch clock and more DHs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:33 pm 
Big in Japan

First big chip falls: Phils trade for JT Realmuto. Suspect they won't quit now and will get Harper or Machado.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:19 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Baseball can't help but fuck itself over. They're making record revenues, have an influx of charismatic, talented young kids and instead most teams are giving up because it's too easy to horde draft picks and slot money. And their solution is a pitch clock and more DHs.

Seriously. How many teams are even attempting to win?

They've got their stadiums built by taxpayers. Their massive TV deals. Teams are just raking in money hand over fist, competing or not spending money on payroll or not. They just don't give a fuck. They don't have to spend money on payroll.

Players in the past and the PA representation have also fucked themselves over. Restricting the earning potential of young players without realizing or caring that those are often their prime earning years. Teams have greater knowledge of the aging curve and are better able to value production than they used to, and just aren't willing to spend the money on the older players and the players are furious now. And to some extent they used to have PEDs that might have extended primes or careers to keep them getting those dollars. Now they don't.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:59 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
Seriously. How many teams are even attempting to win?

Not trying (12): Orioles, White Sox, Tigers, Royals, Twins, Mariners, Rangers, Blue Jays, Diamondbacks, Marlins, Pirates, Padres

Teams that really should've done something but didn't (4): Cleveland, A's, Rockies, Angels

Rich teams that barely did anything (6): Red Sox, Dodgers, Yankees, Astros, Cubs, Giants

Teams that aggressively tried to improve (8): Reds, Mets, Rays, Nats, Phillies, Braves, Cards, Brewers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:04 pm 
Big in Japan

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2019-zips-p ... co-giants/

Devastating ZIPS predictions for the Giants. Only Posey and Belt above average on offence, and pretty unflattering numbers for the pitchers.

If anything, the team HASN'T made their ZIPS numbers the last two years, so no surprise the computer is being harsh this time around.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:33 pm 
Big in Japan

Spring Training has started and Harper and Machado still haven't signed. Pretty much killing whatever momentum the league has going into the season.

Meanwhile, the Giants picked up replacement-level guys Parra, Maybin, Vogt and Solarte on the cheap. Sure, why not.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:09 pm 

Gerardo Parra is a good guy to have in the clubhouse, if nothing else he'll keep things light in there.

I suppose the Rox are just gonna go with what they got, their answer to address one of baseball's worst offenses was to sign second baseman Daniel Murphy to play first base. Other than that, it's probably gonna be Blackmon and Arenado bailing everyone out again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:29 pm 
Big in Japan

Parra's a solid low-cost add who can spray the ball in that big ballpark and play decent defence on the corners, but he's another lefty in what I feel is already a lefty heavy lineup:

Right: Posey, Longoria, Williamson
Left: Belt, Crawford, Panik, Duggar, Parra

Sandoval and Hanson can't hit lefties. Solarte didn't last year.

Oracle/ATT is a terrible park for left-handed hitters not named Bonds. Too many guys here who won't be able to hit bombs at home.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:08 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Parra's a solid low-cost add who can spray the ball in that big ballpark and play decent defence on the corners, but he's another lefty in what I feel is already a lefty heavy lineup:

Right: Posey, Longoria, Williamson
Left: Belt, Crawford, Panik, Duggar, Parra

Sandoval and Hanson can't hit lefties. Solarte didn't last year.

Oracle/ATT is a terrible park for left-handed hitters not named Bonds. Too many guys here who won't be able to hit bombs at home.

I wish I could feel sympathetic, but I'm a Rockies fan whose team plays in the ultimate hitter's ballpark and can't hit for shit, so... :lol:

Bruce Bochy just announced he's retiring after this season, joining his predecessor, Felipe Alou. A remarkable track record for that franchise in terms of stability. They've had precisely three managers since the Colorado Rockies and Florida/Miami Marlins entered the league.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:41 pm 
Big in Japan

Machado signs! Ten years, 300M with San Diego. Good move for both sides: Friars take advantage of an enfeebled NL West to land a star they'd otherwise never get, Machado finds someone to give him three bills. No way he was taking less.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:20 pm 

I heard the Nationals offered Harper similar terms and he turned them down. Wonder what he's aiming for if that was too cheap.

Also, Nolan Arenado had a CHA-CHING sound go off in his head the moment he heard about that Machado deal. It will be a franchise-defining moment for the Rockies regarding his contract negotiations. If they let the team's best-ever player walk for nothing they'll likely be irrelevant for at least another generation.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:00 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Also, Nolan Arenado had a CHA-CHING sound go off in his head the moment he heard about that Machado deal. It will be a franchise-defining moment for the Rockies regarding his contract negotiations. If they let the team's best-ever player walk for nothing they'll likely be irrelevant for at least another generation.

Sounds like they're willing to sign him, but Nolan may want to test the market. Not like Denver did much this offseason to build a contender.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:42 pm 
Big in Japan

The offence might be anemic, but I still think the Giants have a playoff-calibre pitching staff based on depth alone.

They've got enough starters to weather a few injuries with Bum, Shark, Pudge's kid, Holland, Pomeranz, Suarez, Stratton and Blach. They're each only on the hook for 20 starts apiece, which is doable. Cueto is on tap to pick up 3-4 starts in September, too.

The bullpen is solid. Smith can close with Watson and Dyson soaking up pressure innings. Melancon, Vincent, Moronta, Black, Venditte, Barrett, Gott, Callahan and Okert are all big leaguers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:02 pm 
Big in Japan

People are starting to get the impression Bryce Harper really doesn't want to play in Philadelphia and Boras is desperately trying to get a West Coast team to match term.

No surprise the news today is the Dodgers had a meeting with him. I think he goes there in the end. It's where he wants to be and the Dodgers don't have much committed long-term.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:14 pm 
Big in Japan

Rox lock up Arenado. Good for them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next