It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oilers Fire Chiarelli
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:17 am 
OTP Clown

https://www.tsn.ca/oilers-fire-gm-chiarelli-1.1245915

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:05 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

So I guess Chiarelli just got lucky with the Bruins because his tenure as GM of the Oilers has been an absolute train wreck. It could take the next GM 3-4 more years to undo the damage he's done. If I were McDavId, I'd be outta there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:41 pm 
OTP Historian

Lol. So either they let this clown continue to make terrible moves right up until they fired him, or they let him proceed with them. In which case they signed off on them. Why fire him if he's making moves they approve of? What a fucking shitshow.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:14 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Logical Progression wrote:
So I guess Chiarelli just got lucky with the Bruins because his tenure as GM of the Oilers has been an absolute train wreck. It could take the next GM 3-4 more years to undo the damage he's done. If I were McDavId, I'd be outta there.

He deserves some credit for taking advantage of two front offices that somehow managed to be dumber than him--Ottawa and Toronto. Burke miscalculated badly on the Kessel deal and they summarily gifted two high 1st rounders to Chia, and Ottawa decided to bet on Wade Redden while Chia bet long on Zdeno Chara. I don't think anyone could have seen Chara playing at an elite level well into his forties and Redden pretty much imploding a few years after Z's departure, but what can ya do? They were also fortuitous in that Tim Thomas became one of the most unlikely Stanley Cup-winning goalies in league history.

He deserves credit for those moves as they were integral to the team winning a Stanley Cup, just like Burke deserved credit for the moves he made that pushed the Ducks over the top. I just don't understand how a guy can be allowed to stay for four years after moves that not only made the team demonstrably worse, but buried them in cap hell for years.

IMO firing Chiarelli won't make a damned bit of difference if there is not a much, much bigger shakeup. If the Boys on the Bus are continually allowed to throw coaches and GMs under it then poor Connor McDavid won't get even a sniff at a Stanley Cup Final before he's 35.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:23 pm 
Big in Japan

Don't believe the spin! This team is run by Hockey Canada old boys, ex-Oilers and Katz sycophants. The firing of Chia was a kneejerk reaction to poor press regarding the signing of Mikko, hence why he was fired mid-game.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:50 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

This is pretty good https://twitter.com/IslesBlog/status/10 ... 37/photo/1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:37 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Don't believe the spin! This team is run by Hockey Canada old boys, ex-Oilers and Katz sycophants. The firing of Chia was a kneejerk reaction to poor press regarding the signing of Mikko, hence why he was fired mid-game.

Man...then you leak approximate terms, gauge the reaction and then proceed accordingly. But, you know, Oilers...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:53 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Oh wow...

https://twitter.com/ColbyCohen36/status ... 1950068743

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

To be fair, Hunwick (in case you didn't know it was the Avs who got Hunwick from the B's for then-prospect Cohen waaaaaay back) was patently awful for Colorado pretty the whole time he was there. But yeah, definitely a way better player than Cohen, who never made the NHL.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:04 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Oh wow...

https://twitter.com/ColbyCohen36/status ... 1950068743

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

To be fair, Hunwick (in case you didn't know it was the Avs who got Hunwick from the B's for then-prospect Cohen waaaaaay back) was patently awful for Colorado pretty the whole time he was there. But yeah, definitely a way better player than Cohen, who never made the NHL.

:lol: That's amazing.