OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:31 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Figured we need a new thread to post this stuff now that Francis is completely out of the picture.

And hoooo boy...strap in Canes fans, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

https://www.canescountry.com/2018/5/9/1 ... ric-tulsky

Dundon sounds an awful lot like the guys running the Canucks and Habs, and I imagine he'll get similar results. Would not surprise me if Eric Tulsky, one of the best if not THE best stats guy working in the league, finds himself out of a job soon.

Game Tracker/Stats Guru/Long-Suffering Canes fan Corey Sznajder put it best though...none of it'll matter one way or another if they don't fix the goaltending.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:35 pm 

Well, I give them an A on their first major trade. The more I look at it the more this looks like highway robbery.

This D already looks like it could do some damage:

Slavin - Hamilton
Fleury - Pesce
Faulk - TVR/Dahlbeck

Now...get a damned goalie.

Reportedly Skinner is using his NMC to scuttle a couple deals already. And Faulk could be on the move too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:22 am 
Big in Japan

Radio announcer Chuck Kaiton out after 39 seasons. OG Whaler radio man. They'll run the TV broadcast on radio instead, which is becoming more commonplace, apparently. Cheaper to do that.

Kaiton wants to keep working and has connections in Seattle.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:09 pm 

Hmmmm...Dundon sure knows how to cut costs, doesn't he?

I suppose I should quit bitching about the Avs and Nuggets radio broadcasts only being one-man jobs, they could very easily be no-man jobs.

I would think SXM radio would've allowed radio to flourish, I'm not down with a TV/Radio simulcast at all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:44 am 
Big in Japan

Good but not great haul for one season of Jeff Skinner. Pretty clear they weren't going to bring him back and that's fine. Not an elite player and could get elite money based on age/recent goal totals.

Pu is highly regarded, and 2nd, 3rd and 6th picks can prove valuable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:54 pm 

Had to look at Daily Faceoff for help on a possible opening night lineup.

Obviously there's a chance this might change should Faulk get dealt.

Aho - Teravainen - Svechnikov
Zykov - Staal - Williams
McGinn - Necas - Ferland
Martinook - Rask - Maenalanen (Who the hell is Saku Maenalanen?)

Slavin - Faulk
de- Haan - Hamilton
Fleury - Pesce

Darling (yeesh)
Mrazek

IF that's the top line it could be quite dynamic to start. Not a ton of depth here. Staal and Rask are making a combined $10 miillion.

The blueline looks solid as all get out, even if they deal Faulk. Wondering if Jake Bean makes the jump.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:28 pm 
Big in Japan

Defence looks unreal. If Darzek can't be average with those guys helping them out!

Aho and Svech could score 30 each, but maybe not till 2020. If they do, watch out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:21 pm 

They had Brind'Amour on NHL Radio the other day and Rod didn't really mince words when it came to Scott Darling, basically said he showed up to camp last year out of shape. I imagine "Rod the Bod" won't be allowing his players to skip out on offseason training.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:20 pm 
Big in Japan

Another Francis era guy gets tossed: Vic Rask traded to Minny for Nino Niederreiter and his contract.

Both guys looked like borderline stars at points in their careers, but they got hurt and never seemed to get back in gear. Rask has been especially useless on the scoresheet this season: only 1 goal!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:03 am 

Didn't he cut his hand so badly in the kitchen he missed the start of the season?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:33 pm 
Big in Japan

Teuvo Teravainen gets a 5 year extension at a reasonable 5.4M AAV.

A solid 145 points in 211 games since being acquired from Chicago.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:32 pm 

Good Lord, the "affiliate shuffle" begun by Vegas stealing St. Louis's AHL team continues.

So to recap:

The Golden Knights ended their affiliation with the Chicago Wolves, bought the San Antonio Rampage (the Blues' affiliate) and are moving them to Nevada.

The Blues entered into a five-year agreement with the Springfield Falcons, the Panthros' current affiliate.

So now, for some reason, Tom Dundon decided to switch the Canes' affiliation from the Charlotte Checkers to the Chicago Wolves. Very strange, especially given how Dundon usually like to cut costs whenever he can. Also, the Wolves have alienated a lot of different parent teams because they operate very independently (they're one of the few AHL franchises with their own TV deal) and thus don't make player development their top priority. Not sure how Dundon's going to like a subsidiary not doing exactly what their told.

The Checkers, as you might imagine, are not pleased.

Quote:
Later Wednesday, the Checkers released a statement: “While we are aware that the Carolina Hurricanes are nearing an affiliation agreement with the AHL’s Chicago Wolves, the Hurricanes have had little dialogue with us regarding this matter. In an era when NHL teams are placing great value on affiliations with closer proximity between the two clubs, we understand the confusion such a move would cause.”

I'm guessing since they're the only two left without dancing partners that the Checkers and Panthers will meet up. Not sure how having the AHL team go from being the farm team of the in-state NHL club to a conference (note, not division) rival will play out, but...hey it ain't my money.

I know these affiliate shuffles are not a new thing by any means, but this one is playing out kind of strangely.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:57 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I've never understood teams having their affiliate a thousand plus miles away.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:06 pm 

Chris18 wrote:

It used to be par for the course back when the AHL (and the ECHL, which weirdly never changed their name but also say it no longer stands for "East Coast Hockey League") was almost exclusively on the eastern side of North America. I remember back when the budget-conscious Kings had their affiliate in Manchester, New Hampshire, and they were known for having about 2/3rds of the roster injured every year. The travel costs must've been INSANE back then.

Since the AHL finally moved or created a bunch of franchises to exist on the west coast, that's prompted the push for more regional affiliates. The only super-distant affiliation I can think of is the Vancouver Canucks and the Utica Comets. So it's super-weird that the Hurricanes would pick an affiliate in frickin' Chicago as opposed to Charlotte. Apparently Dundon and the Checkers owner really don't like one another. Funny when ego trumps financial sense. But when you're a multi-billionaire you can afford such flights of fancy I suppose.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:10 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

It used to be par for the course back when the AHL (and the ECHL, which weirdly never changed their name but also say it no longer stands for "East Coast Hockey League") was almost exclusively on the eastern side of North America. I remember back when the budget-conscious Kings had their affiliate in Manchester, New Hampshire, and they were known for having about 2/3rds of the roster injured every year. The travel costs must've been INSANE back then.

Since the AHL finally moved or created a bunch of franchises to exist on the west coast, that's prompted the push for more regional affiliates. The only super-distant affiliation I can think of is the Vancouver Canucks and the Utica Comets. So it's super-weird that the Hurricanes would pick an affiliate in frickin' Chicago as opposed to Charlotte. Apparently Dundon and the Checkers owner really don't like one another. Funny when ego trumps financial sense. But when you're a multi-billionaire you can afford such flights of fancy I suppose.

I guess, but billionaires are usually very thrifty with money on things like that, and that's how they save their money.
I just can't understand the idea of like "we had a goalie tweak something in the morning skate. Call up that guy who is 2500 miles away!" This is why the emergency goalie situation is a thing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:11 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
I guess, but billionaires are usually very thrifty with money on things like that, and that's how they save their money.
I just can't understand the idea of like "we had a goalie tweak something in the morning skate. Call up that guy who is 2500 miles away!" This is why the emergency goalie situation is a thing.

That's why I find it so odd that DUNDON of all people is doing this. He's been bitching since day one that NHL teams pay their staffs way too much money (which is definitely a page out of the billionaire's playbook--get other people to do the work, take credit for it, and screw them all out of the cash they should've gotten) so it makes no sense he'd be willing to do this, but I guess his desire to screw over Michael Kahn outweighed his desire to keep costs down.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:52 pm 
Big in Japan

The Canes are on the rise, but after bouncing in the first round Dundon may not see it that way. Another team, like the Panthers, that may have to balance improving and sticking to an internal budget below the cap.

I think Gardiner goes. Just not a fit at all on a deep defence. Then again, they're about to lose Edmundson, a dependable rearguard. They needed him against Boston.

Their biggest focus will be Dougie. No idea if they can extend him, but I'd imagine he likes playing there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:58 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Since the AHL finally moved or created a bunch of franchises to exist on the west coast, that's prompted the push for more regional affiliates. The only super-distant affiliation I can think of is the Vancouver Canucks and the Utica Comets.

There's been plenty of noise here on the Wet Coast about moving the Cannots' affiliate to Abbotsford. But the Cannots' Head Office remain committed to Utica for whatever reason. We're just as perplexed here as well. Perhaps the Kraken being down the road might influence a change in perspective as far as that goes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:44 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Since the AHL finally moved or created a bunch of franchises to exist on the west coast, that's prompted the push for more regional affiliates. The only super-distant affiliation I can think of is the Vancouver Canucks and the Utica Comets.

There's been plenty of noise here on the Wet Coast about moving the Cannots' affiliate to Abbotsford. But the Cannots' Head Office remain committed to Utica for whatever reason. We're just as perplexed here as well. Perhaps the Kraken being down the road might influence a change in perspective as far as that goes.

I've been to Utica. There is nothing redeeming about that place! There are quite a few meth houses like 1/4 mile from their arena.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:47 pm 

Pretty sure when a certain someone who we all know was talking to us about some real armpits of America he and his coworkers had to go visit, the first city that popped into my head was Utica.