OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:14 pm 
Big in Japan

The Athletico counts down 20 players that could be on the move:

https://t.co/X4MZ3Xz1gy

Big names: Panarin, Simmonds, Hamilton (already!), Nyqvist, Nino, all the Senators, all the Rangers, all the Blues, all the Wings.

With more cap space available than usual and a number of sellers, we could see a lot of moves coming. A few teams also ready for old-time full-on teardowns.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:39 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

What...the ever-lovin' fuck...is wrong with Dougie if indeed Carolina is already looking to move him!?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:15 am 
OTP Historian

The idea of Edmonton dealing Pulju is just hilarious. They desperately need young, cheap offense. Fix it you idiots.

Nyquist with McDavid would be glorious but I don't wish that on him. Like Tatar, sad to see him go but it must be done.

Yes to Daley. I thought that they should have dealt him last year but bad optics to deal him after year 1 of a 3-year deal(unless they had an understanding it could happen).

Yes to Jensen. Great skater but 28 and time to play the kids. Might have some value so get it.

Yes to Jimmy and bring him back at the end of the season if he wants to.

If Kronwall wants to go to a contender, good with me. Also good if he wants to stay.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:19 am 
Big in Japan

Daley's injury might keep him on the shelf till the deadline, no?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:36 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Daley's injury might keep him on the shelf till the deadline, no?

Looks like 3-5 weeks so yeah it could potentially go that long but hopefully not.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:18 pm 
King of Men

I like Alex Pietrangelo but his 6.5 is a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:27 pm 
Big in Japan

harmfuljays wrote:
I like Alex Pietrangelo but his 6.5 is a problem.

Seems like a good price for a no. 1 defenceman, but I'd imagine he's the one untouchable they have. Even Tarasenko is on the block.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:28 pm 

Friedman did a round table discussion on NHL Network and thought the Jackets should go for it this year and damn the torpedoes. I think that would be a mistake. They're a "good" team, but they're not a legit contender. It's not enough to say "hey, make the playoffs and anything could happen!" No, you gotta be loaded for bear, and the Jackets currently aren't.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:44 am 
King of the One-Liner

West is ripe for a push, but the East has the last two cup winners and Tampa in the way so would not go all in there this season.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:21 pm 
Big in Japan

The old adage is anything can happen once you reach the playoffs, but I'm not so sure it applies the way it used to. Even Vegas dominated all season before reaching the finals.

In the east, are you really knocking off two of Tampa, Toronto, Boston, Washington or Pittsburgh?

In the west, same goes for Winnipeg, Nashville, Calgary, San Jose and Vegas.

That generously leaves 10 teams that should earnestly go for it and 20 that shouldn't bet the farm.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:57 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
The old adage is anything can happen once you reach the playoffs, but I'm not so sure it applies the way it used to. Even Vegas dominated all season before reaching the finals.

In the east, are you really knocking off two of Tampa, Toronto, Boston, Washington or Pittsburgh?

In the west, same goes for Winnipeg, Nashville, Calgary, San Jose and Vegas.

That generously leaves 10 teams that should earnestly go for it and 20 that shouldn't bet the farm.

If you don't go for it, how would you possibly knock any of those teams off?
I agree, beating any 2 of them would be a seriously tall order, but if you go into those series without having added pieces, you're creating a self-fulfilling prophecy of not being able to beat both of them. That makes sense in my head. Not sure it does here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:26 pm 
Big in Japan

Out of the race in the East: Red Wings, Panthers, Senators, Rangers, Devils, Flyers

The West, especially the Smythe, is a complete mess.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:30 pm 

Mind boggling how many truly abhorrent GMs will have carte blanche to ruin their teams even further (Murray, Chiarelli, Benning, Sweeney, etc.) come deadline time. Of those guys, I think Murray will probably make some decent moves, but the rest of those guys, yikes.

My eyes will be on Lumbus. No GM has tougher decisions to make than Jarmo.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:05 pm 
Big in Japan

Nashville are buying: get big Brian Boyle from the Devs for a 2nd.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:46 pm 
Big in Japan

If it's Fowler, the Habs are likely buying. Bergevin has been following the Quacks around on their tour de merde and is probably looking to pluck the defenceman with Murray at his most desperate.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:45 pm 

If Bob Murray were even a halfway decent GM, he would've sold off Fowler when his value was at an all-time high. So many horrid decisions from that front office.

FWIW, Adrian Dater says if the Avs continue their slide they'll likely deal Tyson Barrie. 1, I don't think this is much more than a hot take and speculation on his part. 2, if they do, they're morons. Sam Girard has not proven yet that he's up to the task of replacing the offense Barrie provides, and Cale Makar, amazing as he has been at the NCAA level, has not yet proven ANYTHING in the NHL. They have until deadline time next year to make their decision. They shouldn't make it until then.

Apart from that, Sakic said they're shopping for a 2nd line forward to address their scoring woes, but I think it's far too little, too late.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:57 am 
OTP Historian

Bosc wrote:
The idea of Edmonton dealing Pulju is just hilarious. They desperately need young, cheap offense. Fix it you idiots.

Nyquist with McDavid would be glorious but I don't wish that on him. Like Tatar, sad to see him go but it must be done.

Yes to Daley. I thought that they should have dealt him last year but bad optics to deal him after year 1 of a 3-year deal(unless they had an understanding it could happen).

Yes to Jensen. Great skater but 28 and time to play the kids. Might have some value so get it.

Yes to Jimmy and bring him back at the end of the season if he wants to.

If Kronwall wants to go to a contender, good with me. Also good if he wants to stay.

On Kronwall.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 830455002/

Quote:
Red Wings general manager Ken Holland is making phone calls regarding his available players for the upcoming trade deadline.

But one player he isn’t actively shopping, not surprisingly, is Niklas Kronwall.

The veteran defenseman has played his entire career in a Red Wings jersey, has never wanted to play anywhere else, and doesn’t want to go anywhere now in the twilight of his career.

And Holland is fine with that.

“I’m not calling teams about him,” Holland said. “He’s been here a long time, he’s won a Stanley Cup. He’s important as a leader on this team.”

I have no problems at all with this. If Nick wants to retire with his whole career as a Wing, I'm fine with missing out on a 5th+ rounder or something.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:35 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs make a move, trading for Nate Thompson from LA. Near identical picks swapped too.

I think LA is doing a Nate a solid, who signed a 2-year deal with Ottawa and right away got dealt. His stuff might still be around here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:46 pm 
Big in Japan

As discussed elsewhere, Coyle to BOS for Donato and a pick.

Also, "Capitals have acquired forward Carl Hagelin from the Los Angeles Kings for a third round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft and a conditional sixth round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft."

LAK retains half Carl's salary. Pending UFA.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:41 pm 
Big in Japan

Jax are buying, picking up Buckeye Ryan Dzingel from the Sens for Duclair and picks. Jax got Duchene and Dzingel.

Stars are also buying, adding some much needed top-6 offence by adding Mats Zuccarello from the rebuilding Rags.