OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:03 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Deadpool 2 was a delight. Josh Brolin sure is having himself a career resurgence.

Love to see this franchise continues to make fun of, or outright IGNORE, the many missteps the X-Men guys made over the years.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:10 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Deadpool 2 was a delight. Josh Brolin sure is having himself a career resurgence.

Love to see this franchise continues to make fun of, or outright IGNORE, the many missteps the X-Men guys made over the years.

Especially the very end when he revisits Deadpool from 2009.

Probably my favorite of all the Marvel franchise movies.

Did you find it was the 30+ crowd that was doing the most laugh out loud? Seemed there were so many older cultural references the youngins didn't quite always get.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:04 am 
King of the One-Liner

The jokes had a bit more substance and reference with less that just flat out leaned on being dirty.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:16 am 
OTP Historian

Wicked trailer, looks like it could be a wicked movie. Might be up Chris' alley.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:17 am 
OTP Historian

Wicked trailer, looks like it could be a great movie. Might be up Chris' alley.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:54 pm 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1259528/

Best heist movie I've seen in a long time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:11 am 

"The Fugitive" is 25 years old this year. Great review on its lasting legacy. Have to admit when the movie came out I really liked it but the strange thing is I probably like it just as much now as I did then and I'm sure I've watched it 10+ times over the years.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... er/566729/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:35 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:

Just watched this -- brilliant. Great casting with unconventional but amazing writing. Music supervision and music scoring spot on. Holy shit balls. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:20 pm 

Finally saw "Colossal" which the creators said was an allegory for addiction and the unintended consequences that can result, but I think it's way more apt at putting in very stark, albeit silly terms, abusive relationships and toxic masculinity. I really wish this movie had come out just a couple years later than it did.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:36 am 

Watched "The Predator" tonight. Holy shit what a mess. I wouldn't have gone to see it but a friend of mine asked to go so, meh, whatever. It's not boring at least.

One puck. Not quite worth "The Bettman" but not worth your time. The only good part IMO was Jacob Tremblay.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:17 pm 

Watched "Baby Driver" on DVD, which may end up being the last major studio movie appearance of Kevin Spacey.

A ridiculously loaded cast for such a straightforward heist/car chase film. I do like Edgar Wright though, he's always trying something distinctly different than most of his contemporaries. It's worth it just to watch one of the long-take scenes in this one. I give it 3.5 pucks, even though I thought it petered out badly right at the end. Looking at this one, I think Marvel/Disney missed out on something big when they more or less fired Wright from his own Ant-Man project.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:21 am 

A Quiet Place

Brilliant. Equal parts family drama, horror movie, and sci-fi dystopic adventure. Also one of the smallest casts of any feature film ever. If I had one criticism, albeit a very slight one, I kinda/sorta would have liked the monstrous creatures who make the world these very few characters exhibit to have not been shown in such close-up detail, though I kinda understand why they did so, but to explain any further would be spoilery.

I think they've been hinting at a sequel, which I hope doesn't happen. Movie's just fine where it is and where it leaves off.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:00 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
A Quiet Place

Brilliant. Equal parts family drama, horror movie, and sci-fi dystopic adventure. Also one of the smallest casts of any feature film ever. If I had one criticism, albeit a very slight one, I kinda/sorta would have liked the monstrous creatures who make the world these very few characters exhibit to have not been shown in such close-up detail, though I kinda understand why they did so, but to explain any further would be spoilery.

I think they've been hinting at a sequel, which I hope doesn't happen. Movie's just fine where it is and where it leaves off.
Too big a box office on the first one for there not to be a sequel. Hopefully they let the baby out of the box. Sheez.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:52 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Too big a box office on the first one for there not to be a sequel. Hopefully they let the baby out of the box. Sheez.

Yeah, a sequel is already planned for 2020. I just hope it doesn't lose the edge of the first one, which it could very easily do.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:29 pm 
King of Men

INDIAN HORSE (2017)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5672286/re ... ef_=tt_urv

A flick combining 2 of my favorite things indigenous American culture and hockey. The story itself describes the plight of over 150,000 indigenous Canadian children that had their way of life ripped from them in an act of cultural assimilation. The movie itself is more of a TV movie but the story needs to be told.

ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:33 pm 

This looks like it is a MUST SEE: They Shall Not Grow Old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrabKK9Bhds

Peter Jackson took old archival footage of The Great War, which is obviously black-and-white and silent, restored it, colorized it, put it in 3-D, and added sound effects and dialogue. The result is stunning. There's a trailer somewhere that shows the original footage fading into the newly restored version and it's simply astounding. No way am I missing this one. Unfortunately I may have to wait until it comes out on Blu-Ray.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:54 pm 

Saw Welcome to Marwen last night and I'm still not sure what to think of it. Absolutely spot-on performance by Steve Carell, and I like that Robert Zemeckis oftentimes likes to push the envelope when it comes to big-budget blockbusters. Unfortunately I don't think he manages to stick the landing on such a wildly ambitious concept. It just doesn't quite fall together. Have not yet seen the documentary "Marwencol" that it's based off of. I'd say it's worth your time, just wait for the DVD.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:53 pm 

Bird Box was good, not nearly as scary as reviews said it was, but still a quality movie. The scene where the "invasion" first hits is pretty frickin' awesome though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:13 am 

So the wife and I sat through four feature films nominated for Best Picture today, and also all the animated shorts.

1. The Favourite - A period dramedy that really makes the early 18th Century look like a rather unsavory era to live in. Film was good though.

2. Vice - Nice political satire that basically says Dick Cheney is responsible for the current cesspool that American politics has become. Christian Bale absolutely nails his performance.

3. Black Panther - The only one of these I'd already seen once before. Good movie, not my favorite Marvel film though.

4. Bohemian Rhapsody - Rami Malek's transformation into Freddy Mercury is stunning...though I really felt like the film itself was pretty paint-by-numbers. It also features an equally-stunning appearance by Mike Myers whom I wouldn't have even spotted had his name not been in the opening credits.

Don't want to do puck ratings. I recommend all of them, but probably not all in one sitting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:41 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Went to Captain Marvel couple days ago. It was good, middle of the pack Super Hero Movie. All the SJW vrs Angry dudes stuff seems to not really be based on stuff in the actual movie as it didn't come across as pushing a message in any way to me. Maybe more than most it was guilty of checking the boxes for what a Marvel movie should be and at moments the movie tone seemed to completely change and take you out of the movie. But that said it looked cool and performances where good. Not must see as a stand alone movie but if you watch all the Marvel movies up to now and plan to see Avengers end game coming before this hits video it kinda becomes must see.

As well finally got around to watching Atomic Blond yesterday and honestly I was not really able to follow it very well and for that reason did not enjoy it. Left wondering if it is convoluted or if I am just a moron.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 32  Next