OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:40 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

The Kid Who Won the Calder with a natural hat trick vs public enema #1 in Isles country. 4-0 win. Hell yeah.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:32 am 

Isles will close out the year in Buffalo, then don't play again until the 3rd, when they're home against the Blackhawks. Coach Jeremy Colliton will come "home" to where he played most of his 57 NHL games.
Currently sitting in 9th place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:49 am 

3-1 win vs the Sabres to end 2018. Lehner with 38 or 39 saves, I forget which. He also got an assist on Pulock's empty netter! Which was a funny one. Lehner softly passed to Pulock behind the Isles net and Pulock was obviously just trying to clear it off the glass, but it went over the Sabres point player and bounced out, skidding and spinning into the net. So happy for Lehner. And the Sabres one goal was Okposo's first in 22 games. Since the Isles won, I'm happy for Okposo. Always liked him and am still pissed at Snow for letting him walk. Huge mistake, and I think Okposo would have been beastly on Tavares' wing for years. But that's all in the past.

Isles are now in WC2. Glad they ended the year in a playoff spot, but if they're going to make the playoffs I really hope they can move up. I don't think anyone wants to face Tampa and their +50 Goal Diff. Ridiculous.

But around the halfway point, the Isles are 8 games over NHL .500 and have the lowest GA in the league. Lehner has a 0.930 save % and is looking at a nice raise for his next contract. Great move by Lou to bring him in, even if it was like being the last 2 singles at the club that brought them together. And yeah, FU Hutton.

Pretty cool to see Jenny Botterill doing the game for the Isles, covering her brother's team. Although Butch Goring must have started the NYE boozing a little early. She was giving some in depth analysis of what the Isles were slipping on a little during the game (dead on) and Butch laughed, repeated some of what she said and added something like "wow, you sound like a coach!" Long awkward pause, so he added something like "you sound like you played the game a little". It was obviously meant to sound sarcastic, as he knows her credentials, but it came off as him sounding like a total dick. She just kept smiling at the camera.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:01 am 

I just lost a good recap of the Blackhawks game. Poop.
Devon Toews with his first NHL goal to win it. How many NHLers have their first NHL goal as an OT winner? 18 total. The list now includes 3 Isles D-men: Radek Martinek, Thomas Hickey, and now Devon Toews.
Isles abandoned their "shoot for quality, not quantity" mentality in this one, putting 50 shots on Chicago's 5th string goalie. But he did a hell of a job, stopping 47 of them. Roenick said Chicago played a tight defensive game. After giving up 50 shots. Brilliant there JR.

Still in 9th place, as most of the teams above the Isles won. 7 points down to 10th place. Nice pad, but it sure would be good to be an actual playoff spot after winning their 5th straight, and 7th in 8.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:44 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
Pretty cool to see Jenny Botterill doing the game for the Isles, covering her brother's team. Although Butch Goring must have started the NYE boozing a little early. She was giving some in depth analysis of what the Isles were slipping on a little during the game (dead on) and Butch laughed, repeated some of what she said and added something like "wow, you sound like a coach!" Long awkward pause, so he added something like "you sound like you played the game a little". It was obviously meant to sound sarcastic, as he knows her credentials, but it came off as him sounding like a total dick. She just kept smiling at the camera.

:doh:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:37 am 

6th straight win, Sabres and Habs both lose, so Isles are in WC1. A mere 2 points behind the Metro leading Capitals. They played horribly in St Louis for 2 periods, but managed a 4-3 win after having been down 2-0 after the first. Barzal kept off the scoresheet. Goals from Martin (nice 1-timer), Eberle (who returned from injury), Boychuk (11 seconds after Eberle's), and Lee. They gave up a softy with the Blues having the extra attacker. Lehner looked really upset, leaning over with his head on the top of the net and gloves over his head. A few Isles talked to him and he made a few big saves to seal the steal. After the game Cizikas gave him a big hug. It's kind of comical to see Cizikas, who is like 5'11, trying to act big brotherly to the 6'4" Lehner, but that's one of the things working this year: The Isles all have each other's backs.

Hurricanes at the Coliseum Tuesday. That will mark the season's halfway point for the Isles. What does Lou do? Everyone and their mother had the Isles scheduled for a lot of lottery balls. They're using the old "us against the world" attitude, and it's working so far. So could Lou use his "evaluations" and jettison some guys he thinks won't help with a playoff push? Pull a Snow and stand pat? Or go for it and trade some youth for a big name acquisition? Either way, it's been a much more fun season to watch so far than I had anticipated. We may actually go to a game this year. Maybe.

The Sound Tigers are also doing well- 2nd most points in the AHL as of now, although there are teams with as many as 7 games in hand! Such strange scheduling in the minors. :lol: Either way, they're in 2nd place in their division, so restocking that cupboard has paid off well so far also. Lou has done more than people see in the NHL standings, and in like 7 months.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:03 pm 
Big in Japan

I think the Isles are in a position to add depth without stripping the cupboard bare. At this point Lou probably has a different assessment of his players and prospects than his predecessor and can use those assets in a trade.

Dal Colle and Ho Sang are sorta stuck in AAAA mode right now, but maybe they're due to take another step or can be dealt to a team that sees more in them? I mean, if the Hawks could trade for Strome, anything's possible.

With Duchene looking like a potential rental, maybe Matt for Ho Sang and/or Dal Colle?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:36 pm 

E.L. wrote:
I think the Isles are in a position to add depth without stripping the cupboard bare. At this point Lou probably has a different assessment of his players and prospects than his predecessor and can use those assets in a trade.

Dal Colle and Ho Sang are sorta stuck in AAAA mode right now, but maybe they're due to take another step or can be dealt to a team that sees more in them? I mean, if the Hawks could trade for Strome, anything's possible.

With Duchene looking like a potential rental, maybe Matt for Ho Sang and/or Dal Colle?

I don't know. Duchene just seems like desperately trying to replace Tavares. Ho-Sang and Dal Colle are doing way better because Trotz told them both they'd be called up this year, AND Lou & Trotz are making Thompson play the same systems in Bridgeport as the Isles. For some dumb reason, Snow didn't think that was necessary. But Trotz made it clear that kids being called up shouldn't have to adjust to the NHL speed AND learn a new system. How an org that OWNS it's AHL affiliate doesn't make that mandatory is beyond my understanding. So they're both doing well. And they've both been on the 3rd line for the most part. I think they're trying to limit their time, give them more of a chance to take it all in and learn. Not as much pressure. Ho-Sang in particular is looking good. He should- he's got a perfect example of how to play in Barzal. Similar styles. And Barzal kind of struggled a little earlier in the season. Now he's shooting way more, which makes him harder to defend. Ho-Sang is being told the same thing- shoot more and teams will have to worry about you as well, not just your linemates. Dal Colle- he was probably their best player vs St Louis. He didn't get on the scoresheet, but the effort was there all night. He's more of a complete player now and his skating has gotten better. Not amazing, but better.

I won't be surprised by anything they do. They could stand pat. They could sell. They could totally go for it. I have no clue what they'll do. They've got quite a few guys in UFA years, which is now scary to Isles fans. Every day that passes without a Lee or Eberle extension raises the "trade them while you can get SOMETHING" flags in Isles country. Nelson has been in the "trade the bum" status for a while with Isles fans. Filppula has been such a nice surprise people want him re-signed. Lehner too. Sbisa, as you might imagine, is in the fans' "trade him for anything or waive him to keep Toews" realm. That might happen.

Lehner was very wise to bet on himself with a 1 year deal, under Greco and Korn. Maybe that's all the Isles offered too, but I think it's going to work out well for him in the long run. I have no idea if the Isles will re-sign him, or if he'll want to hit the UFA market with the year he's currently having, but the Isles would be dumb to not make him some sort of offer. He's currently sporting a nice 0.927 save % and was the NHL's 3rd star for the week.

Tuesday-Hurricanes
Thursday- @ Rangers
Saturday- vs Rangers
Sunday- vs Tampa.
Busy/tough week!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:01 am 
OTP Historian

Lehner's going to see some large coin from the Oilers if he goes to market.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:33 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Lehner's going to see some large coin from the Oilers if he goes to market.

I don't wish that upon him. I like him.

Today- Filppula activated from IR resulting in Ho-Sang being sent down. Fans are shitting pickles, asking why it wasn't Kuhnackl or Sbisa. Kuhnackl already passed through waivers once. He likely would again. And if not, so be it. The only reason I'll be okay with it is if it's to get him more playing time and work on his shot, then he gets called back up after a trade. Or if he's traded to bring in someone better...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:49 am 

Isles pull off a win vs the Rangers while playing FAR from their best hockey. They had literally one shot in the third period, and it became the game winner. Clutterbuck (!) with a great pass from the corner to Bailey in front.
I missed most of the game, but it was back & forth the whole time, until the 3rd when the Isles just apparently stopped playing. They were outshot 17-1 in the 3rd. The guys all owe Lehner a soda.
McLeod with a nice punch to the linesman's head while going after Martin. Martin was well out of his reach and the linesman looked pissed. I hope McLeod hears from the league on that one.

Saturday they'll do it all again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:30 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Cody McLeod needs to retire. Now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:06 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Cody McLeod needs to retire. Now.

Yep.

Someone took a screenshot of the first 3 goals from this game: Strome, Barzal, Eberle. Then they wrote "The Oilers aren't even playing tonight and they're losing." :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:30 pm 

Half-assed effort gets you a 2-1 loss to the Rangers. How the fuck do you come out half-assed vs your biggest rival? Bullshit. Lehner's personal 8 game win streak broken.
Now the Lightning on the tail end of back-to-backs. Greiss in net. That's not a good recipe.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:28 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Half-assed effort gets you a 2-1 loss to the Rangers. How the fuck do you come out half-assed vs your biggest rival? Bullshit. Lehner's personal 8 game win streak broken.
Now the Lightning on the tail end of back-to-backs. Greiss in net. That's not a good recipe.

5-1 Isles over the Lightning :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:01 am 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

5-1 Isles over the Lightning :lol:

Yeah. I'm having some weird issue with Chrome where it tries to make me sign in again when I go to post, and I lose what I'd written. I wrote a post yesterday about how the result shows how much I know about hockey. :lol: Then I lost it.
Isles are 6-0 on the tail end of back-to-backs.
St. Louis tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:52 am 

Nice OT win vs the Blues after a not-so-great game overall. The PP needs some serious work.
Barzal with a great on the wining play to lull everyone into thinking he was going into the Isles D zone to allow a slow change, then he fired it up to Filppula who jumped on for Beauvillier and bee lined straight into the zone. Wondering if it's a set play.
Lehner with 31 saves.
Pens lost, so the Isles are in Metro 3, only 3 points behind Clumbus and Washington. They play the Devils Thursday and then the Caps Friday. The Caps got abused 7-1 vs Nashville last night and Friday is their next game, so I'm betting they'll come out flying vs their former coach. Isles steak of being 6-0 in the tail end of back-to-backs will be tested big time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:53 am 

Isles smothered the Hall-less Devils. 4-1 win. Lehner continues to look great. Dal Colle with his first NHL goal. Well done kid!

Don't look now, but the Isles are ONE point out of Metro 1, and play the Caps tonight. Trotz vs his old team should be fun to watch. Which I won't be able to do, due to a kid's game. :fffffuck: Here's to checking the score between shifts! :beer:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:38 am 

Isles beat the Caps 2-0 in Trotz first return to Washington, and with Clumbus losing, are in Metro 1. That might last a day, so I'm enjoying it while I can.

Isles are now 7-0 on the tail end of back-to-backs, outscoring their opponents 27-6 according to Lighthousehockey. That's a hell of a margin for a tired team.
Trotz and co got a nice video tribute from the Caps.

Kind of neat how the Isles, who everyone knew were going to suck donkey due to the departure of Tavares, have 60 points in 47 games. That's the same as the Leafs, who were going to run through the entire league with Tavares. Yes, that's petty. And yes, I still hate him.

Isles will get away before the snow hits the east coast, playing in Anaheim Sunday. This is all odd, because the Ducks play in NJ today, so the Isles will beat them out west to their home. And the Ducks should be tired in a back-to-back after traveling cross country. But teams have won in worse circumstances...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:00 am 

I was 3000 miles off on where the Isles-Ducks game was. :lol: Could swear the schedule said @Ducks when I looked.
Anyway, the Isles beat them 3-0. Cal Clutterbuck with 2 goals in the first 10 minutes of the game. Uncle Leo with the other.
Lehner was awesome. He got knocked over a few times by Ducks players, but kept his composure and stopped all 19 shots thrown his way. Fun facts: The Isles have only allowed 3 goals during this 5 game winning streak. Cal Clutterbuck has 7 points (4G, 1A) during that streak! Isles have allowed 19 or fewer shots in 3 straight games, and you have to go back to the late 70s for the last time they did that.
Lehner was the 1st star of the game, and while he was interviewed on the ice the crowd was chanting his name. You could see the mutual appreciation on his face and I forget exactly what he said, but it was essentially how the fans are helping by getting behind the team and cheering/being positive.
During the game there were chants of "Barry Trotz" and "1st Place". Asked about the chants, Trotz said he asked Gomez "are they chanting Barry sucks"? :lol: But then he said he doesn't do anymore than the other coaches, that everyone is just as involved and as long as everyone is working as hard as the guy next to them, they'll be fine. Added "we're all Islanders". I'm coming out- I have a man crush on this no-necked motherfucker. For decades I've turned the game off after the final buzzer, not giving a shit what anyone has to say. If I happened to see interviews with Capuano or Weight (left the TV on while doing other shit and didn't stick around to see them lose), I generally mocked what they had to say. I stick around to see what Trotz has to say. The dude is that good. I wish he'd write a book. I'd read that shit every day.

The East is so frigging tight, any slips could cost a team big time. 4 points between the Isles (Metro 1) and the Pens in WC2. Divisional games are huge.

Isles are in Chicago Tuesday before the ASG. I feel like the break couldn't have come at a worse time for the Isles. I want to see them keep this streak rolling! That said, the players can probably use a break. But the fans can't.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next