OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:37 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

4-1 loss to the Capitals, after scoring the first goal 36 seconds into the game. And Tom "someone should park a Suburban on my face" Wilson had 2 G and 1 A. Plus the Rangers, Devils and Blue Jackets all won. Not a good night for the Isles.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:02 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Saw that Trotz picked up his ring pregame. Jesus, if the Caps win the Cup again this year, I may die.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:20 pm 
Big in Japan

Kovar sighting! https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hocke ... be-coming/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:48 am 

E.L. wrote:

Supposedly playing time in Bridgeport was the stumbling block after the Isles sent him down. They had expected him to make the Isles out of camp, but both agreed he needed AHL time. Then when he was sent down everyone kind of realized Bridgeport had way too many vets for him to play regularly (max of 5 veterans dressed/game in the AHL). So that's why he left. I wish him luck.

Isles lose in a SO to the Bruins, after having a Barzal goal disallowed in OT for goalie interference. Still not sure I agree with the call, but I'm obviously biased, and not being sure means it was probably the right call. But if you make it to a SO, all 4 guys can't try to shoot at the same fucking spot after each prior guy was stopped. Try playing creative hockey, not dying on the Scouting Report sword 4 times in a row.

In Columbus on Saturday.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:35 pm 

Isles are 10-2 in the Metro after beating the Blue Jackets 3-2 at the old Coliseum. First game back there since April 2015. Lots of rumors they'll play there full time for the 2 seasons prior to Belmont being built. The players all talked about how much they love playing there, how it's really the Isles home, Trotz said it's their identity, etc. The Barclays people must be pissed about the interviews given. :lol: But the Barclays folks own the Coliseum now, so they'll get their money one way or the other.

Isles came back from a 2-0 deficit to win in regulation for the first time this year. Not an encouraging stat. Still, 3rd in the Metro is far better than anyone predicted for them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:36 am 

2 periods without scoring vs the high scoring Jets. Then Lee put in a rebound to give the Isles a 1-0 lead, and there was much rejoicing. A minute later Barzal held a Jet's stick right in front of the ref in the OFFENSIVE zone, and the Jets scored on the PP. And again 22 seconds later. Then added an empty netter with 2.1 seconds left. So much for playing well.
Reporters asked Trotz if he was happy that his team hung in the game vs a good team like the Jets. He replied "we don't get paid to hang in games. We get paid to win." I like it.
Penguins on Thursday.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:36 am 

2 periods without scoring vs the high scoring Jets. Then Lee put in a rebound to give the Isles a 1-0 lead, and there was much rejoicing. A minute later Barzal held a Jet's stick right in front of the ref in the OFFENSIVE zone, and the Jets scored on the PP. And again 22 seconds later. Then added an empty netter with 2.1 seconds left. So much for playing well.
Reporters asked Trotz if he was happy that his team hung in the game vs a good team like the Jets. He replied "we don't get paid to hang in games. We get paid to win." I like it.
Penguins on Thursday.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:32 pm 
King of the One-Liner

How has Pulock looked? He has the ice time and shot totals that make me think he has been unlucky.

Yes my curiosity is fantasy team based put him and Chabot as my late pick D steals and would like to go 2 for 2 and been holding on to Pulock as like I said based on time and shots he should produce much more.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:49 am 

Hounsy wrote:
How has Pulock looked? He has the ice time and shot totals that make me think he has been unlucky.

Yes my curiosity is fantasy team based put him and Chabot as my late pick D steals and would like to go 2 for 2 and been holding on to Pulock as like I said based on time and shots he should produce much more.

He looks good overall, although I think Trotz is trying to teach him to not be just an offensive D-man. Under Weight and Capuano, they just tried to feed him for 1-timers, and there didn't seem to be a whole lot of improvement in the D-zone. Under Trotz they've been working with him a ton in the D-zone. Although they did use him in the Ovi-spot for the PP a few games ago. I haven't seen it again, and the PP has been stir fried dog shit lately. Maybe they should try it again. If you check out Lighthousehockey.com, they actually had a good article the other day about Pulock being an overall D-man now, instead of just a shooter. Lots of stats and details that I'm totally glossing over.

Isles looked like they didn't know tonight's game vs the Penguins counted. Trotz could be easily seen saying "wake up. Let's go." to them during a TV timeout.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:34 am 

Nice comeback win vs Detroit. Down 2-0 after 1, Cizikas, Pulock (PP) and Martin score. Josh Bailey fought Larkin and Boychuk fought Abdelkader, while Ross Johnston made a really nice pass to Cizikas for his goal. Isles writer Art Staple tweeted something like "Bailey fights and Johnston makes great play. Just like we predicted." :lol: Isles fans are all saying Boychuk vs Abdelkader goes back to last year, when Abdelkader slew footed Boychuk. Boychuk looked pissed at him, that's for sure. Earlier Kronwall nailed Lee while Lee was trying to control a bouncing puck. Shoulder to the face, with Lee's head down. Lee left the game for concussion protocol but returned with some cuts on his face. Scary looking but he seemed fine.
PP goal was the Isles first in NINE games, breaking an 0-21 slump. Holy shit it's been bad. But hopefully now they remember how to do it.

Penguins again, for the 4th/final time already for the year. NHL scheduling is really weird.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:37 am 

Lehner is healthy again, so Chris Gibson was sent back to Bridgeport. Instead of recalling Steven Gionta, they've called up Josh Ho-Sang. He's got 2G and 20A in 26 games in Bridgeport. It would be nice if the Isles had anyone who could FINISH on the roster. All these pass happy kids are good, but they really need pucks on net.

Shame Ho-Sang won't get to wear #66 vs the Penguins thanks to the Lou Rules. I liked hearing their fans shit pickles over it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:52 pm 

2-1 2nd period lead blown vs Vegas in 3-2 loss. Not terrible, but they had a lead. Bummer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:50 am 

4-3 SO win vs Detroit. Barzal with Isles first PP goal in a month. Yes you read that correctly. He scored on their 6th PP of the game. You almost have to try to go that long with a PP goal. Barzal also scored the only goal of the SO.
Ho-Sang played and apparently did pretty well, although no points.

West coast road trip coming up, starting in Colorado on Monday.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:57 am 

4-1 win over the Avs to start the road trip. Costly though, as Hickey may have hurt his knee and/or head missing most of Jost with a hit and continuing into the board back-first. He didn't return. Nelson also left and didn't return after a knee on knee collision at the point while trying to get past a defender. The Av player was called on the play.

Boychuk and Pulock on one PP line is odd but worked, as Pulock passed to Boychuk for the 1-timer goal. Lee tipped in a Leddy shot for their other PP goal. 2 PP goals after a month of just 1 in the last game.
Nice to see Eberle find the back of the net. He has been coming really close to scoring lately but getting robbed, and is starting to draw a lot of ire from fans who want him traded before his value drops. I don't really see him signing long term so if they can get a good return, sure, but I think it's typical fan overreaction to a non-issue.

Coyotes tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:40 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

It was Ian Cole who kneed Brock Nelson and they just announced he won't face any supplemental discipline. Most Avs fans I've talked to actually thought that was a dirty play and he should've gotten at the very least one game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:20 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
It was Ian Cole who kneed Brock Nelson and they just announced he won't face any supplemental discipline. Most Avs fans I've talked to actually thought that was a dirty play and he should've gotten at the very least one game.

Nelson played (and scored) the next night vs AZ, so I think that figured into the NHL's Wheel of Random Justice determination of no further action. Thankfully neither got really hurt on the play, but it could have been bad for either. I'm never sure if the league should suspend players for something that "could have been bad". I usually think so, but then, most hits could injure, and certainly fights, so where would you draw the line?

Isles with a nice win the following night vs the Desert Dogs, 3-1. Ho-Sang with his first NHL goal in over a year. He made a lot of really smart, simple plays, rather than trying to always be Barzal 2.0. Even Barzal is toning down his skating all over the place just to control the puck. Trotz is clamping down a bit on the over-handling of the puck, and getting everyone to play responsible hockey. Who knew these are the things an NHL coach should do??? Certainly not Isles fans, at least since the days of Arbour. :lol:
Scary/funny moment late in the third vs the Coyotes- puck was behind Lehner's net and he tried to move quickly from left to right post, but for some weird reason tried skating fully backwards to do it, instead of sliding across. He caught an edge (karma for bad form?) and fell on his back. It felt like an eternity, late in a 2 goal game, but was probably 0.5 seconds before he scrambled onto his chest and faced the play. He got up before any shots could come in, but wtf was he doing? It's funny because he got away with it, but that's the kind of bumble that costs a team a big game, at least in Isles history. Like DiPietro looking down at his pads when the puck was dropped and Lecavalier shot right off the faceoff and scored on him.

After the game Ho-Sang praised Komarov for teaching him better play in the D-Zone. Maybe the culture club are really making a difference!

Thursday in Vegas. Sunday in Dallas. Then home. Few games due to the holiday break.

Side note. Someone on Lighthouse pointed out an article that tracks GMs histories as to how many trades they make and when. Lou is most active between Jan 1st and the deadline. It will be interesting to see what he does with a team that is currently exceeding expectations, and sitting in Metro 2, albeit in a very tight race, and with the Atlantic currently having a hold on the 2 wild card spots. Impending UFAs are still Lee (almost certain to sign since they made him Captain and I don't think Lou would do that without being sure he'd stick around), Eberle (likely too expensive and may be traded), Nelson (usually disappears for long stretches and typically needed a GPS to find the D-zone, but has looked consistent and quite defensive under Trotz), Lehner (signed for 1 year and has been inconsistent so far), Filppula (signed for 1 year and has exceeded all expectations), Kuhnackl (signed for 1 year and has met the relatively low expectations given to him), and Sbisa (signed for 1 year and has thankfully been relegated to the press box for most of the season). So Lou has options. The question is if he goes for it with who he has, or if the evaluation period has shown him anything he doesn't like and he starts moving players.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:22 am 

Thomas Hickey to the IR, almost certainly with a concussion from hitting the boards against the Avs.
Devon Toews called up for the first time. He'll catch up with the team in Vegas but won't have time to practice with them prior to the game, so there's no chance he plays in that one. Maybe vs Dallas.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:03 am 

Expected loss to Vegas, 4-1 (en).
Nice win in Dallas, 3-1. Is Radulov on roids?? He was a psycho all night. Kept going after Leo Komarov in particular, so it was great when Komarov scored his first goal since mid-Nov in the empty net. Clutterbuck and Hanzal both left the game after an awkward collision.
Toews looked very poised in his NHL debut. Logged 18 minutes, 7 in the first period. Can't believe I'm about to write this, but he and Sbisa looked good together.
Christmas break, then home for Ottawa, and then off to Toronto to visit good ol' Douche Baggy Bag.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:25 pm 
Big in Japan

Isles are hanging around in the Metro. Losing JT hasn't affected them all that much in the standings.

I like their goalie tandem too. Looking alright.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:01 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Isles are hanging around in the Metro. Losing JT hasn't affected them all that much in the standings.

I like their goalie tandem too. Looking alright.

I certainly think he'd help them, but I still say fuck him- with a shovel.
Trotz is making a huge difference. As is the Korn/Greco coaching of Greiss and Lehner. If they could get the fucking PP going they'd be a lot better.

They're hanging around in the worst of places- not in the playoffs but too high to get the 1st overall. Typical Islanders. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next