OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:16 pm 
King of Men

E.L. wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:
I think the Seattle Sound is nice. I do like the Totems but everyone is outraged nowadays so.....

The Seattle Sounders name is already taken by MLS, so I don't think they'll copy them.

That's too bad. Suppose I should have checked existing league names. Some rugby knobs already took the Seattle Sea Wolves too.

Quote:
DetroitHockey.net reports 38 website domain names representing 13 possible team names were registered Thursday under the name Christina Song. The website reports Song's LinkedIn profile lists her as General Counsel at OVG.

Here are the names:

Seattle Cougars

Seattle Eagles

Seattle Emeralds

Seattle Evergreens

Seattle Firebirds

Seattle Kraken

Seattle Rainiers

Seattle Renegades

Seattle Sea Lions

Seattle Seals

Seattle Sockeyes

Seattle Totems

Seattle Whales

There is no guarantee any of these will be the name of Seattle's NHL team, just as there is no guarantee Seattle will even get an NHL team. As DetroitHockey.net points out, there isn't even an ownership group formed yet. But someone connected to OVG is already registering these names.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:25 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

This could all be a very clever way to throw people off a little but I don't think it's just coincidence they chose these colors for the announcement on social media:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq-SQPTH9Y1/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:39 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Sockeyes you think? Could live with that albeit a little stodgy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:47 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:

Of all the possible names out there right now that'd be my choice. I just can't get behind "Kraken." :kraken:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:55 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Of all the possible names out there right now that'd be my choice. I just can't get behind "Kraken." :kraken:
Yeah Kraken is probably a stretch -- and the league wouldn't approve it, not in a billion years.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:07 am 

Yeah Kraken is probably a stretch -- and the league wouldn't approve it, not in a billion years.

Oh I dunno about that. If they approved "Mighty Ducks" and "Wild" they'll approve just about anything.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:03 am 

Pokecheque wrote:

Oh I dunno about that. If they approved "Mighty Ducks" and "Wild" they'll approve just about anything.

Agreed, anything that will make a buck.

I'd suggest honouring hometown boy Jimmi Hendrix and go with the Purple Haze...or perhaps just Haze and make the uni's purple.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:12 am 
King of Men

I like that the Seattle Haze......should be the Seattle Soakers with all the rain.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:40 pm 

We currently don't have a purple team in the league (get with the program Kings) so I'm all for it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:45 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
We currently don't have a purple team in the league (get with the program Kings) so I'm all for it.

If only the Hampton Roads Rhinos had made it...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:09 pm 
Big in Japan

Ron Francis named first GM for the upcoming Seattle franchise.

Hard to say what he did right and wrong during his time in Carolina. They slagged him on his way out, but that doesn't mean anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:54 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Ron Francis named first GM for the upcoming Seattle franchise.

Hard to say what he did right and wrong during his time in Carolina. They slagged him on his way out, but that doesn't mean anything.

What I think gets missed is that his measured, conservative approach was largely dictated by Karmanos, who apparently ran into some financial difficulties in recent years.

Arguably the Canes under his leadership did a stellar job of incorporating analytics into their front office decision-making process, and also snagged a guy who may be the best analytics guru in the business in Tulsky, though an argument could be made that Francis arrived in Seattle with someone who may be better already there in Alexandra Mandrycky.

I think the problem was that when Ronnie Franchise DID go out on a limb, it blew up in his face spectacularly. The Scott Darling signing, more than any single move, sealed his fate. The Rask signing was a huge mistake that Waddell very adeptly turned into a huge win by dumping that awful deal on Minnesota for a legit scoring line forward. And lastly, the Faulk extension looked like a very savvy move at the time, and his production the next three seasons was good. But it looks like he plateaued and is regressing badly, don't know what happens to him now, but it's the final year of that deal and he has limited control over where he goes. TBH, even with the flaws in his game he's still a RHD who put up 11 goals just last season, there is surely still a market for him...maybe in Seattle.

Even a couple minor moves that were relatively safe (Marcus Kruger) just didn't work.

We never really got to see Francis work without financial constraints, and it's possible he has learned from his mistakes. In some ways he's the perfect guy for this job as it seems pretty clear they're not going to enjoy the ridiculous windfalls the Vegas franchise landed in their first year, but it should still be a relatively competitive team and can build toward the future properly.