OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:53 am 
King of the One-Liner

Marko Markac, really young though figure twenty give or take a couple years.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:42 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Marko Markac, really young though figure twenty give or take a couple years.

Yeah, don't know the name.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:56 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Miss18.1's varsity team has a new coach, and he's trying to give me a heart attack, because she's playing a regular shift. Started their second game on the first line and had a nice assist (first varsity point!). This is all after getting very limited time in their first game, which included her getting "trucked" in her words, thanks to a suicide pass in her skates. Everyone freaked out that she got hit so hard and the ref made her go to the bench, even though there hadn't been a whistle. She laughed at everyone asking if she was okay. I think that helped her gain the coaches' trust, as odd as that sounds. I think they saw her as fragile before, but seeing her bounce up and demand to be put back in cleared that up. It's great seeing your kid's name in the local paper, saying she gave a nice feed. :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:55 pm 

Saturday was filled with wanting to kill, as Miss18.1's team played one of the dirtiest teams I've ever seen. Miss18.1's nose was broken by a vicious crosscheck to the back of her helmet, so hard it caused the helmet to rotate on her head and the forehead area of the helmet to come down on the bridge of her nose and break it. We've got photos of other girls getting the exact same crosscheck. Another girl on our team was run into the stanchion, ala Chara on Pacioretty. She's got a bruise on her shoulder, as she managed to lean away, but it went unpenalized. I've got a letter going to the league. Their coach was kicked out but didn't leave the building (photos of that too).

Sunday was a total contrast. Miss18.2 played her one scheduled game in net. She'd been totally dreading this game (calling it December turd instead of third). I told her to go out and have fun, and not worry at all about the score. She didn't. :lol: We lost 9-1 to a very good team, but she had 22 saves and more fun than any player ever. She was belting out Christmas songs at the top of her lungs, dancing (even with the puck in her zone). No goals scored as a result, and as a matter of fact, her one glove save was more a result of her dancing than actually having her glove in the right spot. :lol: Her teammates sang on the bench, the other team started singing part way through the third period. Even opposing parents started cheering her saves, and the opposing coaches said they had more fun watching her dance and sing than watching the game. We give out a hard hat award for the hardest working player. She won it unanimously, with me abstaining from the vote. Another kid on the team tried like hell to win it, saying he'd give it to her if he won it. It was by far the best team bonding event we could have had. Can't wait for practice tonight. And neither can Miss18.2, since she's back on D. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:27 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Saturday was filled with wanting to kill, as Miss18.1's team played one of the dirtiest teams I've ever seen. Miss18.1's nose was broken by a vicious crosscheck to the back of her helmet, so hard it caused the helmet to rotate on her head and the forehead area of the helmet to come down on the bridge of her nose and break it. We've got photos of other girls getting the exact same crosscheck. Another girl on our team was run into the stanchion, ala Chara on Pacioretty. She's got a bruise on her shoulder, as she managed to lean away, but it went unpenalized. I've got a letter going to the league. Their coach was kicked out but didn't leave the building (photos of that too).

Sunday was a total contrast. Miss18.2 played her one scheduled game in net. She'd been totally dreading this game (calling it December turd instead of third). I told her to go out and have fun, and not worry at all about the score. She didn't. :lol: We lost 9-1 to a very good team, but she had 22 saves and more fun than any player ever. She was belting out Christmas songs at the top of her lungs, dancing (even with the puck in her zone). No goals scored as a result, and as a matter of fact, her one glove save was more a result of her dancing than actually having her glove in the right spot. :lol: Her teammates sang on the bench, the other team started singing part way through the third period. Even opposing parents started cheering her saves, and the opposing coaches said they had more fun watching her dance and sing than watching the game. We give out a hard hat award for the hardest working player. She won it unanimously, with me abstaining from the vote. Another kid on the team tried like hell to win it, saying he'd give it to her if he won it. It was by far the best team bonding event we could have had. Can't wait for practice tonight. And neither can Miss18.2, since she's back on D. :lol:

Damn, brutal Saturday. Sorry to hear about Miss18.1's nose :( Show her some Tim Hunter pictures, that'll cheer her right up!

That's hilarious about Miss18.2. She's got the goalie crazy, Chris...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:17 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Damn, brutal Saturday. Sorry to hear about Miss18.1's nose :( Show her some Tim Hunter pictures, that'll cheer her right up!

That's hilarious about Miss18.2. She's got the goalie crazy, Chris...

The coach from Saturday's game has been suspended 3 games, but will soon find out he's probably suspended even longer since we have photos of him not only not leaving the rink, but laughing along with some of their parents within 2 minutes of being kicked out (gotta love photo documentation!). Their web site also promotes them being in a totally different league than ours, so our league is supposedly going to tell them they should finish out their season playing in that league, including their end of year tournament. Good fucking riddance. There is no place in hockey for that shit. The one amusing part- is Miss18.2 calling Miss18.1 Bluedolph, the blue nosed sister (sung to the tune of Rudolph). :lol:

Miss18.2 now wants to play goalie again. I tried telling her it was really fun: Once. :lol: But she shouldn't get her hopes up that her team will back her so well again. We have 2 other goalies, so she likely won't get another chance, other than maybe in practice now & then.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:47 pm 

End of seasons. :(
Miss 18.2 ended her season having to forfeit one tournament game because we got 14" of snow and nobody from our team had power, while the other teams all got rain, and played like "where the fuck are these guys?" Lost the next game, and then won their last game of the year in awesome fashion. Tied 1-1 and we scored with literally 0.1 second left on the clock. The ref pointed into the net 10 times like he was calling a game 7 OT goal. :lol: And for us, he was.

Miss18.1 ended her season less happily. We won our first 3 tournament games in convincing fashion, and went to the finals against a team we had whooped 6-1 the day before. I kept warning our girls not to talk shit.... The next day the opposing team came out ready to whoop ass, and they did. We lost 6-3, and also physically whooped our players. One girl is out now with a concussion after a nasty crosscheck to her neck/head. I wish they'd allow checking in girls hockey, because this shit doesn't happen in guy's hockey! Everyone knows if they do something like that they're dead, so they don't do it. Girls league? Meh.... :chairshot: Two weeks earlier Miss18.1 was slew footed and sprained a bunch of ribs from landing so hard. I never knew you could sprain ribs, but you can! She played through it, and was awesome. Damn shame her teammates ran their mouths and our goalie was shaking with nervousness before the big game. :lol: But for kids ranging 13-18, most of whom are 13-16, they did great for playing in a U19 league. Next year!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:11 pm 

I built fake goalie pads in butterfly position out of a cut up 2x12. Got my kids to start shooting on the net. Miss18.2 was goofing around, and finally really lifted a shot, and completely lost her mind running around the yard screaming "I went bar down! I went bar down!" You'd think she won the lottery. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:28 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
I built fake goalie pads in butterfly position out of a cut up 2x12. Got my kids to start shooting on the net. Miss18.2 was goofing around, and finally really lifted a shot, and completely lost her mind running around the yard screaming "I went bar down! I went bar down!" You'd think she won the lottery. :lol:

That's awesome. :lol: Finally learning how to shoot is a pretty good feeling though, you probably remember. I struggled big-time for years to get mine to be anything other than a hard pass.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:50 am 
OTP Historian

Nice!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:17 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

That's awesome. :lol: Finally learning how to shoot is a pretty good feeling though, you probably remember. I struggled big-time for years to get mine to be anything other than a hard pass.

Absolutely. I struggled like hell to get my shot higher than 6" for a long time. Sadly though, when it stayed below 6" I got shitloads of assists on deflections and quite a few goals off shins. Once I learned to shoot top shelf from the point, the points all but dried up, and I couldn't figure out how to shoot low again for years. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:11 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I find playing street hockey with a ball helped the local street kids get a feel for shooting high, with a wrist shot anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:06 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
I find playing street hockey with a ball helped the local street kids get a feel for shooting high, with a wrist shot anyway.

That's exactly what I did in practices this year. Gave them all tennis balls for almost 2 weeks of practice. Kids were shooting them over the net after the first week... Then went back to pucks and most could lift. Just my kid couldn't be bothered to practice with the ball. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:27 pm 

Miss 18.2 finally got her first goal at the squirt level. :D Made 3 great plays at the blueline to keep the puck in, then after the third time realized she had time/space, walked it in and sent a wrist shot through a screen. Wound up a 1-1 tie, so it was a great goal.

Miss 18.1 might have nearly gotten her first varsity goal the other day- poke checked a defender at the blueline, made a nice move to pass the other defender at their blue line, and had the (backup) goalie cheating to the wrong side- when she blew a tire. Seems the opposing team was throwing clear tape on the ice all game long. She kept falling while trying to get up, eventually took off the tape and the other team's bench was roaring with laughter- despite being down 6-1. The ref took a spill at one point on tape too. No clue how it's not a penalty to throw it on the ice. Either way, it will have to wait another day at least. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:39 am 
King of the One-Liner

Clear tape on the ice? I guess it is funny, do that to guys my age and it is blatant attempt to injure. If she gets to scoring chances the goals will come.

Hudson after a rather bad start to the season is seeing his game come around the last 4-5 games. Think with the jump from Atom to Peewee he was a little caught by how much harder and higher the shots where coming and both positional and mentally(fear or puck) had to adjust. He also had a practice with the single A travel team when they where short a goalie and they had Robin Lehner's father working with them and what ever he said and did in that 1 1/2 hr practice may have had an impact as that was about when he turned it around. He still in practice can clearly play a bit afraid of the puck but in game he does not play that way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:22 pm 

Yes- clear tape on the ice. It's not like it impacted the outcome of the game, but she was made to look like a fool in front of a ton of people who will never know she stepped on tape to cause the fall. I told her to do the same in tonight's game.

My daughter still gets in net now & then. She's randomly afraid of shots in practice, but not in games. I think if you're crazy enough to get in net at all, you step up come game time. But he went from atoms straight to peewee? Maybe you guys call the levels different names. Here atoms/mites are U8, squirt are U10, peewee are U12...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:34 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Atom 9-10 then peewee 11-12.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:44 am 

Hounsy wrote:
Atom 9-10 then peewee 11-12.

Huh. I always thought Atom was equivalent to squirt. Weird. So is "Tim Bits" 7-8? I thought that was like 4-6.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:44 am 
King of the One-Liner

Sorry,
Tyke 5-6
novice 7-8
Atom 9-10
Peewee 11-12

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:33 am 

Hounsy wrote:
Sorry,
Tyke 5-6
novice 7-8
Atom 9-10
Peewee 11-12

Then where is this famous "Tim Bits" level I have always heard about? (Finally goes to Google, as should have happened years ago) Ahh, 5-6 is Tyke, aka Timbits.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next