OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:49 pm 
King of Men

https://www.tsn.ca/neely-bruins-unlikel ... -1.1217945

And why the fuck would they? Where in the world did this article come from? Are there really people leading this charge?

Oh I see the Athletic....where brilliant minds reside!

At least Cam handled it with class:

Quote:
When asked about Thomas, Bruins president Cam Neely did not rule out retiring his No. 30, but said it's unlikely due to the goaltender's short - though successful - career with the club.

“There’s no question, that team in ’11, what it meant to Bruins fans and New England. Timmy, what he did in that playoffs, not just in the finals but all of the series, was pretty impressive,” Neely told The Athletic. “I don’t want to rule anything out, but you look at some of the guys up there, they have a bigger sample size of what they did throughout their career in Boston.”

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:30 pm 

214 wins, 5 good seasons and a SC should never cut it. Any fan with a basic understanding of hockey history knows this. Smells like some teenage wet dream got lucky and went vrial on twitter and Nealy is nicely dousing the fire and TSN and others fill a few lines of page or minutes on air over what they know is a nothing issue. This is a stupid media being stupid once again issue.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:40 pm 
Big in Japan

This is the first I've heard of any consideration towards retiring TT's number.

I assume Bergeron and Chara are locks, then Marchand and maybe Krejci. (Marchand is a couple of years behind the others but can catch up numbers-wise.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:29 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Yeah, non-issue.

Besides, if they're gonna retire 30, it should be for Gerry, not Timmy.

Glad they're doing it for Middleton tonight though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:47 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Yeah, non-issue.

Besides, if they're gonna retire 30, it should be for Gerry, not Timmy.

Glad they're doing it for Middleton tonight though.

Are you saying Cheever's has not been retired? If Cheever's isn't good enough to make the grade in Boston then I have my doubts about Chara

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:00 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Are you saying Cheever's has not been retired? If Cheever's isn't good enough to make the grade in Boston then I have my doubts about Chara

It has not. They have now retired 11 numbers.

#2 Eddie Shore (1949)
#3 Lionel Hitchman (1934)
#4 Robert Gordon Orr (1979)
#5 Aubrey Clapper (1947)
#7 Phil Esposito (1987)
#8 Cam Neely (2004)
#9 Johnny Bucyk (1980)
#15 Milt Schmidt (1957)
#16 Rick Middleton (2018)
#24 Terry O'Reilly (2002)
#77 Ray Bourque (2001)

Fun fact, only 2 single-digit numbers remain available: 1 and 6.

I think they'll retire 33 and 37 for sure, and I won't be surprised if they retire 63 as well, especially of all three players play out their respective careers in Boston. The Bruins appear to rank length of tenure very highly, I mean, it's not like Terry O'Reilly was some elite scoring talent (though he did put up some surprisingly good numbers for an enforcer) but dude played a VERY long time for Boston. Same with Chara who is in his 13th season with the club. I'm too lazy to see how long other guys up in the rafters served (Espo played 9 years in Boston) and Cheevers played around 8-9 seasons total for the B's, but he also jumped ship in the middle there to play for the Cleveland Crusaders of the WHA for over three years. I wonder if Harry Sinden and others in the organization who remember might have held a grudge. I don't think even the old-school types would ever try and get in the way of those newer guys. This is all speculation of course.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:45 pm 
King of Men

I found Cam's raising to the be the only "exception" to the pretty rigid standards the B's have. Nifty deserves to be up there. I totally forgot and missed the pregame and only heard about it from my old man afterwards.

Patrice will be an easy one and I won't be surprised with Chara either. I don't think Marchand will make it.

Cheevers (I'd agree that the WHA stint had something to do with it) sure but then you need Tiny Thompson and Frank Brimsek. All those guys are in the hall already and I don't really see the need for them up in the rafters. I'd probably put Tuukka up before all of them.

Geez...looking back...the mid to late 90's were some lean years in net!

Anyway...I had to post this because I couldn't even believe it made its way on to the TSN page. HFBoards sure....TSN and The Athletic...Clean it up!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:01 pm 

Controversy sells I guess. I guess Fluto was a little bored...I suppose there hasn't been a ton to write about the banged-up B's of late. I mean, in Shinzawa's defense, it didn't read like he was campaigning for it, just asking the question as to whether or not it was warranted and weighing for and against arguments. Thankfully Haggerty didn't take that and run with it, because it might have been very different.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:55 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
I mean, in Shinzawa's defense, it didn't read like he was campaigning for it, just asking the question as to whether or not it was warranted and weighing for and against arguments.

That's how I took it as well.