OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:54 am 
Big in Japan

https://t.co/W1tKRlqG5d

They've already used 5 goalies this year, somehow. Hextall should've just put himself in nets.

Post subject: Re: Hextall fired
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:17 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Does not feel that long but he had 5 off seasons to put the team together.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:19 pm 
Big in Japan

Hounsy wrote:

I sometimes forget the Flyers exist.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:13 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

E.L. wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
I sometimes forget the Flyers exist.
Yes exactly. But unfortunately we now have Gritty to remind us..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:53 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

This piece filed just yesterday by Charlie O'Connor seems somewhat prophetic now.

https://theathletic.com/675036/2018/11/ ... e-anymore/

Quote:
Hextall and the rest of the front office surely want to win. But simply sitting back and waiting for problems to resolve themselves over a larger sample size just isn’t going to cut it for this fanbase anymore. They need to be shown that the decision-makers in the organization agree that these recent results are unacceptable. Something needs to happen.

If the Flyers let every day turn into what Sunday was, I suspect they’ll find that even when the team does eventually get going, an essential part of the Philadelphia Flyers was irretrievably lost along the way. It’s not merely a season in the balance here. It’s the way that the Philadelphia sports scene views a proud organization.

DID NOT see Hextall being the first GM fired this season, and I absolutely did not see him not outlasting Dave Hakstol. Now that nice little tongue-twister is no more.

On one hand, as Sam Carchidi just posted, Hextall did a fantastic job getting the team out of the cap hell his boss, Paul Holmgren, created. How Holmgren earned a promotion (and not the "promotion" other GMs like Rutherford and Francis got in Carolina, an actual promotion) after his horrible tenure defies explanation. He also did what other Flyers GMs were unable and/or unwilling to do, and that's build from within, patiently. He also rebuilt what was a flagging farm system.

On the OTHER hand, he failed miserably to fix what is the most ridiculous goaltending situation in the league, reportedly refused to fire a coaching staff that simply isn't getting the job done (especially beguiling that Ian Laperriere has shepherded one of the worst PK units in the league and yet hasn't gone anywhere...sorry Lappy, I love ya but...), and just seemed...indecisive at many junctures.

I gotta admit, I missed crazy Philly. No other club was as good at making transaction headlines on a yearly basis than they were. But Flyboys fans shouldn't complain if, once again, they hand another club key pieces to a Stanley Cup run because they got too impatient.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:54 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:

Hey now, Gritty's the best Flyers mascot since Bobby Clarke. He rules.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:44 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Hey Flyers, there's another former Flyer goalie with some GM experience looking for another job... He could be there in like 3 hours...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:31 pm 

I guess the rule in sports is this: Either be really, really bad, or be really, really good. Mediocrity is the most unpalatable thing a team can give its fans.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:03 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Logical Progression wrote:
Hey now, Gritty's the best Flyers mascot since Bobby Clarke. He rules.
TSN just reported that Gritty just admitted himself into mascot rehab, you know the same one as the Chicken and Philly Phanatic. Truly hope he gets the help he needs. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:38 pm 
OTP Historian

Fucking Holmgren talked about being aggressive while Hextall was passive.

Aggressive signs Chris Pronger to a fucking 7-year back-diving 35+ year contract because he just seems to think that the 35+ penalty(like most penalties to Pronger) wouldn't apply. Back diving, as in, you know, getting him to retire early. On a 35+ contract. Where the cap hit stays if he retires.

He talked about fixing the goaltending. Holmgren, as in the guy who moved out Richards and Carter to make room for quite possibly the worst marriage of a goalie personality and team, Bryzgalov in Philly(and I say that as someone who legitimately liked Bryzgalov), who ended up costing Philly $40M for 2 years.

Yeah, that's the fucking guy that you need making roster decisions. Aggressively.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:52 pm 
Big in Japan

Ass. GM Chris Pryor and Ass. coach Gord Murphy also fired.

Beat guy was basically saying Hextall was the equivalent of an angry teenager stomping into his room and shutting the door: basically refused to tell ownership and Holmgren what he was doing and whether any moves were forthcoming.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:09 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Ass. GM Chris Pryor and Ass. coach Gord Murphy also fired.

Beat guy was basically saying Hextall was the equivalent of an angry teenager stomping into his room and shutting the door: basically refused to tell ownership and Holmgren what he was doing and whether any moves were forthcoming.

Now THAT's the Hextall we are accustomed to. Keeping you on your toes, never knowing when or what the fuck he was going to go.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:12 pm 

My boy Picks got waived too. :cry:

Man, he comes up with a great fan contest for his mask after he gets drafted by Vegas, then promptly gets waived, sent down, and traded to Toronto. Then he heads to Philly (via waivers) and gets an awesome mask celebrating the only good thing going for the Flyboys: Gritty. Now he gets the boot again. I guess dude needs to not go to so much effort next time when it comes to his headgear decor.

Mind you, in between Vegas and Philly he won himself a Calder Cup working for our favorite Pink Pantser, but I wish he'd get that backup gig in the NHL and run with it.

As for the Flyers themselves, as Corey Snajder just pointed out on Twitter, it's one hell of a troll job by Philly to fire everyone except the two guys the fans wanted fired. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:55 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

The Hextall stories from his Islanders days involved him always letting everyone know exactly what he thought.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:35 pm 

The stories I've read are that he's a very friendly, congenial guy...right up until gameday. Then, you speak to him at your own peril.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:18 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
The stories I've read are that he's a very friendly, congenial guy...right up until gameday. Then, you speak to him at your own peril.

Met him a few times getting autographs when I was a kid and he was, for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:57 pm 

I'm reading they've begun the search in earnest. According to the article I'm reading on The Athletic, the initial list is:

Steve Greeley (Buffalo AGM)
Dave Nonis :lol: (advisor in Anaheim)
Ron Francis*
Bill Zito (Columbus AGM...these guys are always seemingly super-popular)

And the odds-on favorite right now, former Wild and Crazy GM Chuck Fletcher.

*NOTE: According to an interview Ronnie Franchise did on NHL Radio as he helps prepare Team Canada for the WJC, he's still getting a paycheck from the Canes and also still has a minor stake in the franchise that was not bought up when Karmanos sold to Dundon, so both of those things kinda complicate any potential hire.

Fletcher could be a pretty decent hire, but maybe not. He'll have a lot more pieces to put in play than he did during his tenure in Minnesota, and hey, say what you will about the guy but he solved the Wylde's goaltending situation pretty respectably.

I'm kinda/sorta rooting for Nonis to get the gig though, because, to quote the Dark Knight, I just wanna see the world burn. :laugh: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:32 pm 

Good deal...the Philly Flyboys still somehow manage to make the most inevitable coach firing in the league a dramatic affair.

A report from one of the Philly beat writers comes out that Hakstol is fired, and Quenneville is hired. It immediately gets refuted from various insiders, including Dreger, and is also denied by the team. Word has it Hakstol then asked for a vote of confidence and Fletcher refused, which led to his departure. Fletcher in fact said he hadn't even asked Chicago for permission to talk to Joel Quenneville. Take that for what you will.

Chris's favorite coach Scott Gordon, who was the coach in Lehigh Valley, takes over on an interim basis.

I am SO HERE for the return of the Sideshow Flyers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:55 pm 

how toxic is Mike Gillis that he can't get an interview compared to how bad some of the options are.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:05 am 
Big in Japan

Your GM, a longtime NHL goalkeeper, says your top prospect goalie isn't ready yet, so you fire him and call the goalie up. Great idea!