OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:41 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

As an organization they sure do draft well but seem completely unable to get it to develop properly. Brayden Schenn now joins Patrick Sharp and Justin Williams on an ever-growing list of players who flourished once they dumped the orange jersey.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:56 am 
Big in Japan

Hey, the rebuild is going fast in Philly. They'll make the playoffs and their core of Giroux, Voracek and Couturier looks reborn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:42 pm 

We'll see, Mrazek is looking like another corpse for the goalie graveyard in Philly.

Their forward corps is elite, the D is young but coming along, but they're almost Carolina-level bad in figuring out who to put between the pipes. It's unraveled them repeatedly for close to, what, 20 years now? I suppose they'll just keep making interim solutions until Carter Hart is finally ready to go, but man, if Ron frickin' Hextall can't figure it out I don't think anyone can.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:28 pm 
Big in Japan

Stolarz looked promising last year but got hurt and seems to be in no man's land.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:12 pm 
Big in Japan

Philly is hanging on to that last wild card spot in the east. Giroux might hit 100 points.

Ivan Provorov looks like their next Pronger. Even his name sounds like a scary Rocky villain.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:58 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

So much for Lombardi to the Canucks....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/dea ... b-canucks/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:51 am 
Big in Japan

Flyers have 10M in cap space! What a world we're living in.

No one's talking about them, but they made the playoffs last year, a bunch of guys took a step forward, and they signed JvR. On the downside, is the once highly coveted and unstoppable Wayne Simmonds starting to wear down?

This team is incorporating their solid prospects into the lineup really well. If Konecky and Patrick take another big step, watch out for the Flyboys. Goaltending still stinks, though, but Carter Hart is waiting in the wings.

Giroux-Couturier-Konecky
JvR-Patrick-Voracek
Lindbolm-Laughton-Simmonds
Raffl-Vecchione-Aube

Provorov-Ghost
Hagg-Sandheim
Myers-Gudas

IR: Mac

Neulliot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:52 pm 

Provorov will win a Norris someday.

Are they just gonna send A-Mac to Robidas Island then?

If this team ever actually gets a real goaltender, look out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:01 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Are they just gonna send A-Mac to Robidas Island then?

Mac hurt himself training and is out six weeks, but the expectation is he'll play upon his return, so he won't get LTIR'd.

He's averaged 20 mins per game pretty consistently since arriving in Philly, and I don't see that changing given how meh their D corps is.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:57 am 

Wait, is Hakstol putting van Riemsdyk and Simmonds on the same line at even strength? Why? Do they both just sit in front of the net while the center tries to get it to them?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:55 am 

Flyboys put Mike McKenna in the game, which is significant because he's the seventh goalie they've used so far this season, and that's a league record.

And we're only just barely past the halfway mark.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:38 pm 
Big in Japan

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2595 ... oalie-ever

:haha:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:47 pm 

Interesting quote (via Charlie O'Connor of The Athletic) regarding Vigneault's rep for mishandling young players.

According to O'Connor (and I think he's right), the first guy is definitely Cody Hodgson, the second is probably Jordan Schroeder, and the third is likely Zach Kassian.

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/statu ... 0378786818

For the record, I don't think it's necessarily possible to "ruin" a player. You can botch his development for sure, but I don't think you can outright cost him his NHL career. He's either a legit pro hockey player or he isn't. Messing with his development could delay that entry, but it can't really outright cost him any semblance of a career. The closest recent example I can think of is Stephen Weiss in Florida when Mad Mike Keenan was running the show (into the ground).

I know I jumped onto that Hodgson narrative way back for some weird reason...not sure why. I suppose I really wanted to see a rivalry blossom between him and buddy Matt Duchene. But it's a moot point though as Hodgson never panned out and Duchene is long gone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:05 pm 

Check out the baby Nucks thread for consideration Link) of their handling of developing players and the difference in philosophy for other organizations. I'm not sure about "ruining a player" but I definitely think its possible for a coach to set a player back a year or two. In the education system good teachers know that students learn differently and attempt to incorporate different philosophies (as time and resources permit) to find ways for different students to improve. I suspect the same applies for young hockey players I'm not sure all coaches get that, some I think prefer round peg pounded into square hole approach.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:37 pm 

Interesting. Alain Vigneault hires Michel Therrien and Mike Yeo as his assistants, but they opt to retain the embattled Ian Laperriere.

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers- ... -307239810

Scott Gordon returns to Lehigh Valley, and interim assistant Rick "My Analytics are RIGHT HERE" Wilson will not return.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:41 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Interesting. Alain Vigneault hires Michel Therrien and Mike Yeo as his assistants, but they opt to retain the embattled Ian Laperriere.

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flyers- ... -307239810

Scott Gordon returns to Lehigh Valley, and interim assistant Rick "My Analytics are RIGHT HERE" Wilson will not return.

Assistants are usually a go-between for the head coaches and players, a more player-friendly buffer typically. Therrien is exactly NOT that.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:47 pm 
Big in Japan

The NHL is bad enough when it comes to rehashing fired coaches, but three ex-coaches on one staff? Oh boy.

Also, Therrien hasn't been an assistant since the mid-90s in Laval. And he's not exactly known for being a good team player.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:01 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Assistants are usually a go-between for the head coaches and players, a more player-friendly buffer typically. Therrien is exactly NOT that.

My thoughts exactly, and highly as I think of Vigneault, one of the big digs on him is that he doesn't communicate well with players, especially when he's benching/scratching them.

Yeo I believe is more of a players' coach, but I still think this is a very, very interesting mix.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:02 pm 

E.L. wrote:
The NHL is bad enough when it comes to rehashing fired coaches, but three ex-coaches on one staff? Oh boy.

Also, Therrien hasn't been an assistant since the mid-90s in Laval. And he's not exactly known for being a good team player.

Flyers drama. I am soooooooo here for it.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:47 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

This is like a shark tooth approach to coaching: If one falls out, there's another ready to spring into its place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next