OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:55 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Well Lehner is out for a bit. They've sent down Kuhnackl (who cleared waivers less than 30 days ago) and brought up Christopher Gibson on an emergency basis. Gibson has an 0.861 save% in the AHL so far this year. And now he may face NHL shots. Mhmmm. That should work out wonderfully.

But I'm wondering about the Bobrovsky thing. Greiss and Lehner have been pretty good so far. Greiss has a 0.933 % in 6 games, while Lehner is at 0.928. I don't think either is going to sustain such numbers, but Bobrovsky is at 0.882. Why bring him in? Just because he'd be pretty cheap to get? If they could move either Lehner or Greiss for a decent defender, then sure. But I don't see that happening. Both are looking good, but not world beaters.

Pens again tomorrow. I'll actually get to watch it! That means they'll probably lose 8-0.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:10 pm 

Isles pull out a SO win vs the Pens. Greiss was great. Stopped Crosby on a breakaway in OT. The Pens had the bench door open to celebrate and stood there with the door open for like 30 seconds.

Bailey with a SH goal and the SO winner. Lee with his first 5v5 goal of the season.

15 points in 12 games. Not bad for a team everyone picked to be in the basement. It could all come crashing down any minute, but I'll enjoy it while they're playing well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:52 am 

5 in a row with a win vs the Devils the other day. Greiss with a 35 save shutout. Maybe having a real goalie coach does actually help. To think of the decade or so that they had Dunham... :chris18:

Home vs the Habs tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:50 am 

4-3 SO loss to the Habs, after blowing a 3-1 lead. I saw the second half of the game. In other words, I watched them blow the lead, while looking like shit. The Habs look really fast and good. Isles were bound to lose a game, but you hate to see them do it while looking like they are skating in wet concrete. Or maybe the Habs were just that much faster.
One big thing I took away from the game is that Mat Barzal really needs to shoot the damn puck. Sure, it's a possession game, but the puck on your stick for 30 seconds straight doesn't mean a lot when your linemates are standing there watching you, while covered, and you don't get into a shooting spot. It's not going to create chances. The PP in OT was pathetic. Everyone just stood there.
When Armias came out for the SO, Butch Goring immediately called that he wasn't going to make any moves, but would just shoot. Yep.
Hopefully this didn't start the annual Nov swoon. But still- points in 7 straight games. 12 points during that time. I'll take it.

Tampa on Thursday.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:46 pm 

Bailey with 2 goals. I walked in the door from practice to a 2-2 tie and about 4:00 to go. With about 90 seconds to go Pulock kind of fanned on a clearing attempt up the boards. The Bolts kept it in, centered it to a guy who immediately passed it down low and boom- 3-2. Lehner stood there with his arms over his head in disbelief. Then with like 30 seconds to go and the extra attacker, Pulock shot right into a defender and the Bolts went down 2-1 and made it 4-2 in the empty net. Not Pulock's best night, that's for damn sure.

Florida next. Is the annual Islanders November swoon on schedule, even with Trotz behind the bench?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:02 am 

Isles are adding Jennifer Botterill for 20 broadcasts this year. Almost looks like they're trying out people to replace Butch Goring, which wouldn't be the worst move.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:47 am 

Tom Mooseknuckle with his first multi-goal game. One of the "whoops" variety (puck bouncing off his skate) and the other of a highlight reel variety, as he shot while falling/spinning. He felt the need to get up and point out to the ref that it was in. :lol:
Big changes to the Isles PP. Barzal off of PP1, as they have spent the last few games just skating around in circles looking for the Red Sea to part a path to the back of the net. Instead, Pulock is on that PP1 line, and he's positioned in the Ovi 1-timer spot. They didn't score, but he sure got some good shots off. He's going to break someone's leg from there, and/or put up 10 goals.

5-2 win over a tired Canucks team on the tail end of back-to-backs, and 3 in 4 nights. But a win is a win, and with the Isles, you can't take any win for granted. You never know what team will show up.

Ladd left the game in the 2nd after going awkwardly into the boards. He couldn't put any weight on his right leg. Michael Dal Colle has been playing great in Bridgeport, so maybe he gets the call up. Or maybe Bellows. Ho-Sang is a RW and the others all play left, so probably not him, although he's been playing well too. He and dal Colle have found some chemistry this year.

Isles-Rangers on Thursday! It should be a good game, as both are off to surprisingly good starts. They're Metro 2 & 3 right now. Granted the Caps, flyers & Canes are all just 1 point behind them, but as of today, those are the standings.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:37 am 
Big in Japan

Revenge theory going around: if Dubas doesn't re-sign Marner before free agency next summer, expect an offer sheet from Lou Lams. A little thank you for Tavares.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:18 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Revenge theory going around: if Dubas doesn't re-sign Marner before free agency next summer, expect an offer sheet from Lou Lams. A little thank you for Tavares.

They were throwing around an offer sheet rumour right after it happened. Then Secure Fax Lou proceeded to sign Komarov for 12M/4 and then actually trade for Matt Martin retaining all salary. That's some kind of revenge.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:24 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I've noticed both Hunter and Lamoriello have been quoted with some not-so-subtle digs at Dubas recently.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:32 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
I've noticed both Hunter and Lamoriello have been quoted with some not-so-subtle digs at Dubas recently.

Such as? I haven't heard any of this.

A guy on Lighthouse said he saw Lou & Dubas at a restaurant together in NY about a month ago. He thought it was about a trade for Nylander, but people pointed out there was some GM meetings going on in NY. Or something like that. I forget.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:01 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Such as? I haven't heard any of this.

A guy on Lighthouse said he saw Lou & Dubas at a restaurant together in NY about a month ago. He thought it was about a trade for Nylander, but people pointed out there was some GM meetings going on in NY. Or something like that. I forget.

I'll have to look for the specific quotes but both of them basically said they didn't like people who kept saying how smart they were. I didn't think they could have been talking about anyone else, but who knows.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:27 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
I'll have to look for the specific quotes but both of them basically said they didn't like people who kept saying how smart they were. I didn't think they could have been talking about anyone else, but who knows.

Interesting. Lou's lips are usually sealed tighter than a dolphin's asshole.

In other news, Matt Martin is ready to play vs the Rangers, but Ladd and Cizikas took Wednesday off from practice. Ladd is obviously hurting from the fall into the boards vs the Canucks, but no clue on Cizikas.

It's supposed to snow here tonight (1st of the year) and schools have already announced they're closing early (seriously? For 2-4"???), so maybe practice will be canceled and I can watch the Isles-Rangers game. I hope so. I haven't gotten to see enough games this year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:54 am 

So weird...Lundqvist just doesn't play well against the Isles, does he?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:58 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
So weird...Lundqvist just doesn't play well against the Isles, does he?

He must hate the commute to Brooklyn far more than anyone in history for some reason.
The Isles just seem to have his number. When the Rangers got out to the 2-0 lead I thought it was going to be an 8-1 game. As much as I hate his stupid nickname, Lundqvist is frigging great. But yeah, he seems to get rattled vs the Isles, which he doesn't do against any other team in the league. I do like seeing him on the bench though. It means he has already been pulled, and the "What time is it? 5 past Lundqvist" jokes will be flying around. :lol: However, it's also 5 past Greiss at the same time. Crazy how the Sweden/Germany time zone works.

Beauvillier had looked like stir fried dog shit for the first 17 games. He was benched in the last game. He certainly came out to play in this one! His first hat trick. The officiating was awful. Filppula cut Komarov with a high stick and a Ranger took a double minor for it. Whoopsie! Isles didn't score on the PP but it probably didn't help the Rangers' cause. Later Barzal was being held, elbowed in the mouth, hooked, etc, and then he held the guy in return for a split second and got called. He was then benched for the final 7 minutes or something like that (going off what Isles fans said on another forum). I like that Trotz will bench anyone not playing well, regardless of their reputation.
Leddy also had some good plays, which is a change. He's looked awful this year too. Many Isles fans want him traded.

And with that, they're on another multi-day break, not playing until Sunday.
Before the game the Isles put Martin on IR (day to day, elbow), along with Cizikas 2-3 weeks (LBI), and Ladd indefinitely (LBI). Stephen Gionta and dal Colle were called up. Gionta played on the 4th line. Dal Colle was in the press box.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:18 am 

Shit show vs the Stars. 6-2 loss. Beauvillier with another goal (4 in 2 games). Mayfield added one with a "how the hell did that happen" short from behind the Stars goal line. The first question was "why the hell is Mayfield down that low?" then, "Why is he shooting from there?", and then "how the hell did that go in?"

Dal Colle played and looked decent. Greiss looked off. But they just looked "meh" the entire game, like they didn't care at all. The Rangers hangover is real, even when that game was a few days ago. And who do they play next? The Rangers- in three days. Then they have 3 games in 4 nights. How do they make the schedules?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:34 am 

StRanger Danger tonight. I will likely miss the 1st period due to a kid's game.

Supposedly Matt Martin is back, so dal Colle will likely be out because grit vs a division rival.

A guy on Lighthouse Hockey did a statistical analysis of Isles production vs their expected production vs their salary. It's not incredibly surprising (Ladd, Leddy and Boychuk are in the "Failing" category, while Lee Greiss and Barzal are in the A category). Interesting stuff, although a bit nerdy. https://www.lighthousehockey.com/2018/11/20/18104604/islanders-season-report-cards-game-score

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:53 am 

Got whooped 5-0 by the Rangers. They looked like they had no structure in that game. First loss to a Metro team.
Beat the Devils in OT, after giving up the tying goal with 10.2 seconds to go in regulation.
Carolina today.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:54 pm 

Just hearing now Cody McLeod broke his hand in a fight with Ross Johnston. From what I saw he REALLY didn't want to throw down with the big fella but finally acquiesced. He knew he was way overmatched. Kinda lucky that's the only injury he suffered.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:51 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Just hearing now Cody McLeod broke his hand in a fight with Ross Johnston. From what I saw he REALLY didn't want to throw down with the big fella but finally acquiesced. He knew he was way overmatched. Kinda lucky that's the only injury he suffered.

Well he shouldn't have taken a long run up to hitting Johnston, who was already tied up with someone and leaning down. Johnston was already looking to spark the Isles (didn't work obviously), and taking that hit pushed him over the edge.
I figured McCleod's hand was broken right away. It was just dangling and shaking at his side when he left the ice.

Isles beat the Hurricanes 4-1, playing Greiss in back-to-backs. Not sure if Lehner is nursing an injury or it Trotz just doesn't trust him right now. Weird in 2018 to see a goalie play 2 nights in a row. And win both. That was de Haan's first return to Barclays. No tribute or mention. Not that de Haan has a lot of highlight reel footage with which to make a video. But he was a fan favorite in his time with the Isles. I guess you can't give everyone a tribute in today's game, where players move around like crazy.

Caps tonight. Trotz's first go at his old team. Should be fun to watch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next