OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Frustration
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:45 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Tage is a big kid who may pan out as a third line grinder but not much more than that IMO. He ran pretty hot and cold in the AHL but did little at the NHL Level. He’s a 2016 first rounder so he’s still pretty young but you would’ve thunk he’d be making bigger waves by now.

Got called up early because of his size. Teams are always doing that...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:48 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I don’t love this article from Mike Harrington (I know he has a bit of a rep but I don’t mind the guy so much), it feels too much like a hit piece, but it reinforces the fact that O’Reilly signed his walking papers the minute he had that brutally honest media scrum about losing his love for the game.

My question: Was it his intention to engineer his own departure? Or was he just trying to be honest? Either way, the ROR camp insisted that part of that mega deal wasn’t just scoring and two way play, it was character as well. Well...when that’s your “character” it sure as hell ain’t worth $7.5 million in bonuses it turns out.

I still think this is a shit trade and Botterill could’ve done much better. In fact this is yet another major misfire by Botterill. He knew he wasn’t keeping Kane, so why did he hold onto him for so long? I suppose the same applies to Lehner but unlike Kane there was never any real “sell high” point to his season.

So...so far pretty much every move GMJB has made has backfired in some way, about the best thing you could say was that he at least got rid of Tyler Ennis’s contract, Marco Scandella isn’t terrible, and hey got some roster flexibility in the long term by dumping ROR, even though they had to take on two enormously overpaid players in order to do it. He’s still new to the game and has had one hell of a mess to clean up but so far I’m not sure Botterill has been much, if any improvement on his predecessors.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:46 am 
King of Men

Quote:
“We’re stuck in this mindset of just being OK with mediocre,” normal guy said this morning inside his corporate conglomerate. “I feel too it’s really crept into myself. Over the course of 20 years I lost myself a lot, where it was just kind of get through, being OK with just not making a mistake, and that’s not winning life at all and it’s crept into the entire company. It’s disappointing, it’s sad.

I feel throughout the years I’ve lost the love of the job multiple times and just need to get back to it because it’s eating myself up and eats the other employees too. It’s eating us up, it’s tough.”

That's life! We can't all be winners!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:33 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

For whatever this is worth- Carter Hutton supposedly took $500k less/year to sign with Sabres than the Isles offered.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:24 am 
OTP Historian

Could Tage Thompson be any more perfect for the name of Klay(NBA) and Trayce(MLB) 's kid brother? 3 brothers across 3 different major pro sports would be pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:06 am 
King of the One-Liner

I would recommend Sabre fans look at it as one more year of strip and build, 19-20 as progress to playoff contender, and 20-21 as the window opens to be a top team. Really they are in a good place right now and if they manage it competently for the next couple of season the "frustration" should pass if not be over all ready. Maybe they haven't crushed it on some recent trades but I'd still rather see a team strip down what doesn't work than keep going back to the same failed mix.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:14 pm 

Sheary - Eichel - Okposo
Skinner - Mittelstadt - Reinhart
Rodrigues - Berglund - Pominville
Girgensons - Larsson - Sobotka
Wilson, Thompson

Scandella - Ristolainen
Dahlin - Bogosian
Beaulieu - McCabe

No doubt the moment Bogo gets his annual season-ending injury that Guhle will get a legit shot at sticking in the lineup.

Looking forward to seeing an All-Rasmus pairing on the power play.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:51 am 
Big in Japan

Skinner and Sheary are nice adds for the short-term.

Still plenty of pruning to be done. Can't imagine Bogo and Beaulieu will be there for the long haul. Brought on dead weight from STL.

Also, while dealing ROR now was the right move, the centre depth looks a little shaky. Berglund was barely a centre in STL, and Middlestadt is a rookie.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:14 pm 

The partially-buried Matt Moulson deal comes off the books in 2019. That deal alone will probably be the thing that keeps Murray from getting another GM gig ever again. I'm guessing Okposo ends up being another amnesty buyout, maybe Berglund too. Keep in mind they're still paying Ehrhoff and Leino on amnesty buyouts and Cody Hodgson on a regular one. But if nothing else, the Pegulas know how to throw money at a problem to make it go away.

Is there some real hand-wringing going on with Willie Nylander's bro? Or is that all just people overreacting?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:44 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
The partially-buried Matt Moulson deal comes off the books in 2019. That deal alone will probably be the thing that keeps Murray from getting another GM gig ever again. I'm guessing Okposo ends up being another amnesty buyout, maybe Berglund too. Keep in mind they're still paying Ehrhoff and Leino on amnesty buyouts and Cody Hodgson on a regular one. But if nothing else, the Pegulas know how to throw money at a problem to make it go away.

Is there some real hand-wringing going on with Willie Nylander's bro? Or is that all just people overreacting?

I forgot all about that Ehrhoff contract...

What do you mean an amnesty buyout for Okposo? Those compliance/amnesty buyouts are long gone now, the Sabres used both of them way back when, and he'll only have a year left when the CBA is up in 2022 if it does include more amnesty buyouts...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:05 pm 

Bosc wrote:

What do you mean an amnesty buyout for Okposo? Those compliance/amnesty buyouts are long gone now, the Sabres used both of them way back when, and he'll only have a year left when the CBA is up in 2022 if it does include more amnesty buyouts...

2022 is only if neither side doesn't exercise their opt-out clause in September 2019. I can't imagine the players would, but there's a possibility the league will. And I can't imagine they won't allow for another amnesty buyout period for stupid teams doing stupid things, so they can go out there and do even more stupid things.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:07 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Bosc wrote:

2022 is only if neither side doesn't exercise their opt-out clause in September 2019. I can't imagine the players would, but there's a possibility the league will. And I can't imagine they won't allow for another amnesty buyout period for stupid teams doing stupid things, so they can go out there and do even more stupid things.

Forgot about that optout.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:34 am 

Uh-boy...

That wasn't the way you want to start out the season.

It's only one game, but looking at the highlights, they still look disorganized and discombobulated. That's a very disconcerting sign.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:17 pm 

I'll post the link later but according to Pierre LeBrun of The Athletic, had Bergevin agreed to trade the 3rd overall pick for Ryan O'Reilly, the Sabres reportedly would have used it to select Brady Tkachuk. If that had happened, Kotkaniemi would likely be a Coyote right now.

In the end, Bergevin made what looks like a wise choice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:37 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
I'll post the link later but according to Pierre LeBrun of The Athletic, had Bergevin agreed to trade the 3rd overall pick for Ryan O'Reilly, the Sabres reportedly would have used it to select Brady Tkachuk. If that had happened, Kotkaniemi would likely be a Coyote right now.

In the end, Bergevin made what looks like a wise choice.

Dodged a bullet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:17 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Poor Okposo. Guy has been stuck on 2 of the most poorly run teams in the league.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:03 pm 
OTP Clown

This team should be so much better!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:36 am 

Wasn't able to see the game but I spied this on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/georgie_carroll/sta ... 6986620928

Quote:
the little boys in front of me came in as sabres fans but got given a puck by an @Avalanche player and are now screaming for the avs. amazing.

I don't have the raw data in front of me but I think Rasmus Ristolainen may lead the league in most clean breakaways given up. Dude lets more people get behind him than the Human Centipede.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:50 pm 

Geez, Phil, I don't want ya to get fired but how many more fucking games are you gonna go with Okposo (who literally cost the Sabres the game with a horrid double-minor penalty) and Risto on the top power play unit when Skinner/Dahlin would be much, much better choices...!?

I'm sayin' it now, Rasmus Ristolainen is terrible. Some people keep singing his praises but every time I see the guy play he's nothing but a liability on skates with some really nice hair.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:03 am 
Big in Japan

Atop the NHL standings: The Buffalo Freakin Sabres!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next