OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:11 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

There are too many players vying for roster spots both at forward and defense for the team to take a genuine shot at a youth movement. Being a west coast team, the injuries will invariably come, so perhaps it’s best not to place much too much emphasis on the shape of the opening night roster. On Green’s account, if Pettersson 'makes' the team, he will start at centre. His talents show great promise both at 5 on 5 and the PP. Ericksson is already week to week with a leg bruise. All the better. :lol:

Forwards

Sven Baertschi- Bo Horvat - Brock Boeser
Loui Eriksson (IR)- Elias Pettersson - Brandon Sutter
Antoine Roussel (IR) - Jay Beagle - Jake Virtanen
Markus Granlund - Tim Schaller - Brendan Leipsic
1. Adam Gaudette
2. Nicholai Goldobin

- Sam Gagner (would love if the waived him)
- Tyler Motte (had a good camp)
- Reid Boucher
- Jonathan Dahlen
- Petrus Palmu
- Darren Archibald
- Brendan Gaunce

Loads of AHL calibre talent in there. The Canucks need to replace a combined total of 105 Sedin points from last season, notwithstanding Vanek’s 40 odd points over 60 games. This forward group looks like they could scrape .500, barring any of the same miraculous bad luck from last year. Save their contract term, I’m not so bothered by new additions of Beagle, Roussel and Shaller. Word from camp is that Beagle is skating circles around everyone and has the puck on a string. What seems egregious are the free agent signings of Sam Gagner and Loui Eriksson over the past 2 seasons (Benning?) -- one has to wonder about the future of both. Jury is still out on Granlund. Green has repositioned him to more of a checking assignment and with a 20 goal season under his belt from an injury shortened 2017 campaign perhaps he’ll be given more of green light on offense this season. Sutter is not a play maker of any kind, so don’t expect him to make hay with Pettersson on that 2nd line. Horvat is is midseason form and it would appear no chemistry lost with Baertschi. Canuck nation have coined the Canuck PP 'Boesersson' and they have looked sharp, although Horvat seems to be leading that charge in the preseason. Loads of promise in the youth movement, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. This is a throw away year for the team, here's hoping the youth can gain some confidence as a group.

Defense

Edler - Tanev
Del Zotto - Gudbranson
Hutton - Stecher
Pouliot - Joulevi
Biega - Sautner

The Canucks did nothing to address their defensive issues from last year and display very little breakout speed, offensive upside, nor passing skills. Quite frankly, as a group they have looked very pedestrian in the preseason. Gudbranson is not a good defenseman. Del Zotto is a hard worker but has no talent. Hutton has come to camp in incredible shape and while he will be given one last chance by Green, he has no brain for the game. While Biega has looked bad, and Edler/ Tanev should be ok, but but have played a lot of NHL hockey to date and are on the downturn of their careers. Joulevi has looked out of his depth -- coming off an injury, he will need further seasoning in Utica.

Goal

Markstrom - he's looked good.
Nilsson - he sucks
Demko - he's not ready

Last edited by Logical Progression on Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:08 pm 

Pettersson with 1 goal and 3 assists in 3 preseason games thus far. Mean nothing games to be sure, but he seems to be adapting quickly to the smaller ice sheet with each passing game.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:01 pm 

Ashton Sautner and Reid Boucher placed on waivers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:23 pm 

Gonna be a long season.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:51 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
Gonna be a long season.

It's the Jack Hughes watch. We need two brothers to lead the team again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:00 am 

Agreed. We need more help on D for Quinn next year. The Defensive corps is hideous and goaltending not much better.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:24 pm 

Joulevi and Gaudette sent to Utica. Gaunce placed on waivers with intention of being sent down.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:02 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

So what's the word on Juolevi? What I'm reading is not painting a nice picture. Obviously still early yet but...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:12 pm 

He's coming off summer back surgery so had a shortened training period. He gets the benefit of the doubt but didn't have a great preseason and often struggled to keep up with the play. At this point they would be happy if he turns out to be a middle or bottom pairing utility NHL defensive defenseman. Sort of a no frills Dan Hamhuis, but even that seems like a stretch.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:43 pm 

Canucks waive Sam Gagner and Darren Archibald. Benning as much as admitted the mistake in signing Gags and that it would be an even bigger mistake keeping him on just because of his contract -- he was quite badly outplayed by Motte, Leipsic and Goldy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:46 pm 

Canucks waive Sam Gagner and Darren Archibald. Benning as much as admitted the mistake in signing Gags and that it would be an even bigger mistake keeping him on just because of his contract -- he was quite badly outplayed by Motte, Leipsic and Goldy.

Wasn't Archibald supposed to be their Dorsett replacement?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:59 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Wasn't Archibald supposed to be their Dorsett replacement?
Yes, hell of a guy, great character, just not enough skill or consistency at this level to warrant a full time position. Pretty sure they would love to keep Archie within the organization but it had to be done. Suppose they look at Roussel as an upgrade over Archibald in that role.

https://www.straight.com/news/1097406/g ... y-signings

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:12 pm 

Whew...Pettersson is already ridiculously good. I'm sure Boeser will round into form soon enough.

It's just too bad they're surrounded by so much utter garbage. I saw the clip where Pouliot took a puck that was meant for Elias and promptly fired it into the stands.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:57 pm 

Horvat's a character guy with skill - Goldy is finally showing some promise and I can live with that 4th line - but that's about it. Hughes coming next year not soon enough. Your right, everything else is hot garbage. All about the youth movement next 2-3 years.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:19 pm 

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... or-canucks

Pettersson is progressing well according to this.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:28 pm 

Canucks atop the Pacific.

I guess in the end Benning's blunders may not matter if the good moves he's made via the draft and in hiring Green pan out. And I'm still learning that even the best GMs can make insanely dumb decisions.

This team will still likely falter a bit but I don't see them plunging into the abyss unless injuries get to an Anaheim Ducks level of absurdity.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:54 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Canucks atop the Pacific.

I guess in the end Benning's blunders may not matter if the good moves he's made via the draft and in hiring Green pan out. And I'm still learning that even the best GMs can make insanely dumb decisions.

This team will still likely falter a bit but I don't see them plunging into the abyss unless injuries get to an Anaheim Ducks level of absurdity.

They had a good start last year as well. They'll plunge down the ranks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:06 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:

Well, I think they'll be helped by the fact that I think the Pacific is weaker than last season, and they should be getting more or less a full year of Boeser/Pettersson/Horvat. They do need to move on from Virtanen though, that guy is beyond useless. Just cut your losses, there's nothing there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:11 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

Well, I think they'll be helped by the fact that I think the Pacific is weaker than last season, and they should be getting more or less a full year of Boeser/Pettersson/Horvat.

That will not make up for the loss of the twins.

Tanev and Elder are another year older and not a lot behind them in the 2nd and 3rd pairing. This team shouldn't be any better than last years but I guess time will tell.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:01 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

Well, I think they'll be helped by the fact that I think the Pacific is weaker than last season, and they should be getting more or less a full year of Boeser/Pettersson/Horvat. They do need to move on from Virtanen though, that guy is beyond useless. Just cut your losses, there's nothing there.

Yes they were 6-3-1 after 10 games last year and managed to stay above .500 hockey until mid December when all the injuries derailed them. I think they have more depth and speed that they won't spiral to the bottom when the annual fall injuries get bad, A lot depends on our top 4 or 5 forwards staying healthy, as well as Edler/Tanev.

Regardless, this team is much more fum to watch than last years version. I believe Pettersson will be a difference maker in many tight games.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next