OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:36 pm 
King of Men

I see some sporting outlet has picked these guys to win the Pacific and go as far as the Western Conf finals............still not sure which publication this is...probably the same one calling for the cup parade in Toronto.

:siren:

WHOAH! Let's reign in those horses and set the bar low!

What's Postive? Addition by Subtraction! No soft Dougie, No Bouwerplay, No Gutlacksaosnaaoson, instead we have Lindholm, Neal, Hannafin and a pleasant surprise Czarnik.

There's some other dudes like Derek Ryan and Anthony Peluso...but don't know where they fit yet.

I'd like to see a lot of kids hold permanent spots this year.....Mangiapane, Rasmussen, Valimaki.......

Mike Smith in net still...which is still a wild card.....Rittich is still back there as well as Gilles........Jeff Glass was just invited to a PTO hopefully to push those two.

Monahan is done having 15 1/2 surgeries and Brodie doesn't have anywhere to go but back up or out.

What can Johnny do and can James Neal feast like a Pirahna off of Johnny's playmaking?

Is there secondary scoring?.....yes if Czarnik is who I think he is.

Sam Bennett could be on the block especially if Mike Smith gets hurt.

So where does this all go?

The Flames weren't very good last year and they lacked heart..........their home record was terrible and the PP was a f'n disaster. I would expect those things to improve this year under Peters. The direction seems to be back on track and as a fan I am willing to forget last years shit show due to management's acknowledgement and attempt at fixing it.

I've got the Flames making the playoffs....anywhere from 6-8....I don't think its a 100 point team but I might expect them to get out of the 1st round this year.

3Lives is on his last one now!

Quote:
With increased forward depth and new young additions in Noah Hanifin and Elias Lindholm signed long term, Treliving feels his club is ready for a bounce back campaign. The Flames’ architect even declared this year’s crop of talent entering training camp “is the deepest group that’s been here since I’ve been here.”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:30 am 
King of Men

Czarnik getting busy in pre-season. Going to make the team in a top 9 slot. 3 Games left. 2 more games to figure out who is in......Peters says Saturday will be 95% locked.

I've liked Ryan's play as pre-season is my first look at him.

Mangiapane? Klimchuck? Foo? Dube? Valimaki?

I'd like to see this push to youth....

Now what I am concerned with is who is the backup......are we sticking with Rittich again? or is Gillies going to be the man (scary)?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:00 am 
King of Men

If you are putting Bennet on a 4th line, he's obviously on a short leash. Clean it up Morning show! So since I don't like what they are selling here it goes

LW Johnny C Monahan RW Neal

LW Tckachuk C Backlund RW Czarnik (trust me)

LW Frolik C Jankowski RW Lindholm

LW Bennett C Ryan RW Mangiapane

I am switchable with Backlund and Jankowski.....He may play much better with Frolik and Lindholm. But I am pretty sold on that 2nd line wing combo....we need a second line to find some chemistry and I think that's worth a shot based on their style of play. I don't like Czarnik on the 4th line but in reality that may be where he needs to be to work his way up and give Bennett his last shot.

Yep...that leaves players like Hathaway, Dube, Foo and such out. I would carry 2 extra forwards for the 1st month......in this case Dube and Hathaway. I would put players like Frolik and Bennett on notice and tell them if you want to be part of what we are building its time to pick it up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:16 am 
King of Men

I don't care about D as long as Gio and Brodie are back together.
Hannafin/Hamonic
Valamaki/Stone.....I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:22 am 
King of Men

Totally agree folks, Morning show cleaned it up! Bennett on the 2nd line to start the season, time to put up or get out!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:24 am 
King of Men

Dube looked good last night. Lindholm can score.

Flames roster is just like the above although the lines are a tad different.

Bennett is clearly on the bubble..........and probably trade bait for a goalie when Smith gets hurt.

On a side note...where the hell is the boxscore on NHL.com now........I want just a plain ol boxscore NOT 50 videos.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flames- ... -300415306

Quote:
The Calgary Flames announced today that they have assigned eight players to their American Hockey League affiliate, the Stockton Heat: Spencer Foo (RW), Glenn Gawdin (C), Oliver Kylington (D), Ryan Lomberg (LW), Adam Ollas Mattsson (D), Tyler Parsons (G), Matthew Phillips (RW) and Brett Pollock (LW).

The following five players have been placed on waivers for the purpose of being assigned to Stockton: Tyler Graovac (C), Morgan Klimchuk (LW), Alan Quine (C), Buddy Robinson (RW) and Kerby Rychel (LW).

The Flames have also released the following four players who were attending camp on PTO's: Gilbert Brule (RW), Jeff Glass (G), Ryan Sproul (D) and Viktor Svedberg (D).

Calgary has 33 players remaining at training camp (3x goalies, 13x defencemen, 17x forwards).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:27 am 
Big in Japan

Really curious to see how Czarnik and Peca do this year. Both AHLers who got big league deals because they fit the new NHL and were blocked on their respective old teams.

If they work out, I think you'll see a bonanza on smaller AHL stars going forward. Everyone wants the next Marchessault.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:30 am 
King of Men

E.L. wrote:
Really curious to see how Czarnik and Peca do this year. Both AHLers who got big league deals because they fit the new NHL and were blocked on their respective old teams.

If they work out, I think you'll see a bonanza on smaller AHL stars going forward. Everyone wants the next Marchessault.

Me too.....I've been watching Czarnik from Boston. I thought the Flames had a steal when they picked him up and I think he's going to be a good fit. I'd like to see him on the second line but.....I don't think that will happen until the Bennett experiment concludes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:31 pm 
King of Men

Peluso, Kulak and Lazar waived.....

Dube and Valamaki are aboard!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:08 pm 
King of Men

Kulak Shipped off to the Habs........and Laval.

For 2 Journeymen AHL D Men.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:04 pm 
King of Men

well that's that, Lazar, Prout and Hathaway kept up as extras. Time to get it on. Gilles was sent down with Rasmus Anderson (the right move).

A little concerned with the Goalie situation this year....but here we go anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:23 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Lo and behold, Travis Hamonic is hurt again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:58 pm 
King of Men

Hamonic picked an ill advised fight with Gudbranson on Wednesday night...didn't fair well..opportunity for Rasmusen!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:46 pm 

Tick, tick, tick goes the clock on Brad Treliving's tenure with the Calgary Flames...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:15 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Is Treliving in year 2 or 3 of his contract extension? He likely gets the season to get this team into high gear, but what else can he do at this point really?

The Flames have looked pretty mediocre defensively in their 2 losses and not sure Smith is the remedy for the inconsistencies this core have displayed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:49 pm 
Big in Japan

Gaudreau and Rittich celebrating in OT before Johnny scored! So baller!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:42 pm 

Calgary appears to be putting it together. I guess one silver lining of losing Hamonic to injury is that it's allowed Juuso Valimaki to play a somewhat larger role, and he appears to be kinda good.

The other night they reunited the "3M" line and they annihilated the Boo-urns.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Jankowski-Neal
Hathaway-Ryan-Czarnik/Dube

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Rasmus III
Valimaki-Stone

Going forward if Rittich/Gillies turns into something and they can part ways with Smith after this season, there might be something here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:16 pm 

Catherine Silverman of The Athletic AZ (who's seen plenty of Smith) joked on Twitter that the blocker-side shoulder drop should be patented and trademarked under Smith's name. :laugh:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:23 pm 

Oh, and QUIT FUCKING AROUND WITH THOSE UGLY-ASS BLACK TRIM UNIFORMS, CALGARY. Not sure why they just won't bring back those originals full-time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:23 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I've made some dumb comments over the years, yet this may compete for dumbest.

I always mis-read Treliving as Treeliving, as in, he lives in a really nice tree house. :mrgreen: