OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:00 pm 
Big in Japan

Argh I really like Suter. I think was up to 5'11 during the Olympics, and played major junior. PTOd in Ottawa last season and could've made it but he's a star in Switzerland so the role has to be worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:50 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Eberle has said the Isles haven't reached out to him about an extension. I get that Lou is totally in evaluation mode and wants to see first hand what everyone brings to the table, but for fuck's sake, they can't even approach losing Eberle and/or Lee for nothing, which is what everyone is obviously going to say is happening. Wonder why people would say that? (Looks at kids' #91 jerseys...) I'm sure something will get done, but it's just not what Isles fans need to hear.

And has anyone seen these thirds? http://news.sportslogos.net/2018/09/02/new-york-islanders-new-third-uniform-leaks/
The color in the photo is off, they are the normal blue, but still, they suck. It's like a repeat of the stadium jerseys. Why re-do that? Fans didn't like them that much. Sure, they're not black, but did every creative person quit Adidas? They could have done something different. And the white shoulders on all the thirds- did Adidas score a free mile of white fabric, so they're using them on everyone's thirds? Fugly and boring.

Swiss F Pius Suter will be in training camp. PTO I guess? 5'9", 176. I guess Josh Ho-Sang needed competition his own size? He's only 22. Could be a great move for Bridgeport. Skill player. Sounds good to me. It's about time Bridgeport has some skill guys and not just face punchers.

Personally I think some teams just shouldn't do third jerseys. The Habs are one, the Isles are another.

I mean, if they REALLY wanna do one, there's only one choice, and you know what it is...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:47 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Personally I think some teams just shouldn't do third jerseys. The Habs are one, the Isles are another.

I mean, if they REALLY wanna do one, there's only one choice, and you know what it is...

No. No. No. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :chairshot:

There are tons of designs they could do. Google fan thirds or something like that. There are some really cool ones. This is like "What could we do to be totally safe?" Booooooooooooooooooooooring.

And now Isles fans are freaking out about Lou's low # and anti-beard rules. People are saying that won't help them win... I think Nick Leddy without a beard is going to scare opposing forwards shitless. Every see how fugly that dude is? Nobody will want to go near him. D problem solved.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:48 pm 

Yep, don't deny it. There's no other choice.

To be honest, when a team has a clean, simple, classic look like this there just isn't much you can do with it. It's like whenever the Oilers try to do a third jersey (though I still think those McFarlane-designed sweaters were totally badass) or the Flyers. This reported third is about the only thing they can do without doing something absolutely crazy. The only other option IMO is to bring back the early Wang-era navy-and-orange jerseys with those weird Stanley Cup tally marks on the shoulder, but that would be a pretty boring choice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:58 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Fish sticks baby!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:12 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Yep, don't deny it. There's no other choice.

To be honest, when a team has a clean, simple, classic look like this there just isn't much you can do with it. It's like whenever the Oilers try to do a third jersey (though I still think those McFarlane-designed sweaters were totally badass) or the Flyers. This reported third is about the only thing they can do without doing something absolutely crazy. The only other option IMO is to bring back the early Wang-era navy-and-orange jerseys with those weird Stanley Cup tally marks on the shoulder, but that would be a pretty boring choice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:59 am 

This is mind boggling, but Tavares said he hopes he gets a positive reception from Isles fans when he visits on Feb 28th. Can he seriously be that delusional or out of touch? People have been burning their Tavares jerseys (which is stupid no matter what). I mean, I know he is Mr. PR, which is what caused this huge shit storm to begin with. He just doesn't seem to get it. Not for leaving, but the way he left, he's absolutely hated. Even Ranger fans say what he did was completely fucked up. He said all along he wanted to return, blah blah blah. If he'd been honest all along, fans wouldn't be so pissed. Believe me, they'll be honest with him. They have been since July 1st.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:40 pm 

Seidenberg & Sbisa in camp on tryouts. Motherfucker. Guess the Lose for Hughes is being discussed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:04 pm 

I seriously do not remember Lou being this grinder-happy even in the Devils' heyday.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:51 pm 
Big in Japan

Sbisa seems like an ok depth guy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:08 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
I seriously do not remember Lou being this grinder-happy even in the Devils' heyday.

Culture Change! :mulletbutch:
Or Culture Club? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:55 am 

Beardless Trotz reunited the old "best 4th line in hockey" for the first pre-season game at the Coliseum. Clutterbuck scored. This likely means Martin is in the lineup more often than not. What will they do with all the other 4th line wingers???
Trotz said he was really impressed with Sbisa. :fffffuck:
Isles beat the Fly-errrrr, Phantoms 3-0. Aho scored along with Kieffer Bellows (who also assisted on Aho's goal). Bellows also rang one off the post so hard people swear the ping is still echoing around Long Island. His shot is definitely NHL caliber. He made some comments that he wants to use his shot to create scoring chances, but also said he's comfortable in front and is learning all he can from Anders Lee about how to be a "net front" guy.
Barzal said the Isles definitely feel a sense of pressure to perform in front of Trotz, but said there is a lot more structure and detail in the game plan, so it's easier.
Lehner got a big ovation when he left the game halfway through. Fans are loving his honesty about dealing with his alcohol abuse and bi-polar diagnosis.
Another game today, vs... the Flyers. I think 4 of their pre-season games are vs the Flyers. Trotz said it will be a totally different lineup.

Lee said there haven't been any contract talks yet, but he has learned from how other players' negotiations went... I don't think he wants people burning their Lee jerseys.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:55 am 

And to bring more Devils into Hell, Lou hired Lemaire and Conte as special advisers. No clue what their roles will be, other than to be more old guys, doing things the old school way. A stats guy? WTF for? We've got eye tests! We've got gut feelings! We've got... hey. You! Go shave. How dare you come in here with your follicles showing!!! That's one I've always found weird. I'd think all these super old school guys would want men to look like big, hairy men. Like lumberjacks or knights! Knights were never clean shaven. They grew big ass beards! Like this dude- :viking: - he should have a big ass beard. No self-respecting Viking shaved.

It's early. I'm tired. Too much coffee makes me loopy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:55 am 

Bellows with another PP goal. Said in an interview that he's trying to make it very difficult for them to send him down, which is advice he got from his father. I get his point, but quite frankly they have 200 bottom six forwards, so he'd have to be absolutely astounding and force his way into the top 6 to make the team out of camp over guys who would require waivers. I'd say he's destined for Bridgeport no matter what he does, but may have hopped over Ho-Sang as the first call up.

Trotz still looks weird without the beard. As do Clutterbuck, Leddy and Ladd.

2-2 through 4 games. Riding the wave of mediocrity toward the regular season!
Game vs the Rangers on Saturday in Bridgeport. I wanted to go but the older kid has a game that conflicts. :x

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:45 am 

Nice 5-2 win over the Rangers in Bridgeport. Goalies are looking calm and efficient. D are more structured than during the Weight "uhh, just get it out of our zone?" era.

First cuts made on Saturday morning. None surprising. Bunch of guys going to the ECHL and AHL, and 2 guys cut from PTOs, although they weren't named Sbisa or Seidenberg. :x Sbisa tripped over the blueline. Brilliant.

Still no word on extending Lee or Eberle. Could be a season full of trade speculation and distraction.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:23 pm 

Quote:
Transactions: Sebastian Aho, Kieffer Bellows, Michael Dal Colle, Ben Holmstrom, Josh Ho-Sang, Jeremy Smith, Travis St. Denis and Parker Wotherspoon have all been assigned to Bridgeport. Noah Dobson has been assigned to Acadie-Bathurst (QMJHL).

But all the 4th-7th line "Culture Club" guys are still with the team. :roll:
Bellows has to work on his skating, but has had some really nice goals and shots.
Ho-Sang 1 pre-season game, and with shitty enough line mates that I forget who they were. Lou said Ho-Sang needs to go to the minors and get over all the stuff that happened before he (Lou) arrived. So much for a clean slate!
I thought Aho was pretty good last year for the Isles. If Toews gets a spot with the Isles, I'm fine with Aho being sent down. If it's fucking Sbisa or Seidenberg, I may watch basketball this year. Okay, that's a lie. Maybe I'll pay out the ass and get the Sound Tigers streaming package.

Sigh.

Rangers again Wednesday.

Saw an article in which Okposo talks about having gone off the deep end a bit after his concussion with the Isles. He stopped eating, dropped a ton of weight, and was calling people from far back in his life, telling them off... The brain is still a mystery to us, even though most of us have one (there's no helping Ranger fans).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:33 pm 
Big in Japan

Pius Suter heads back to Switzerland. Oh well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:38 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Pius Suter heads back to Switzerland. Oh well.

He was one of the early cuts.

Now I heard Tanner Fritz is on his way to Bridgeport as well. Expected, but why not include him with the other dudes already sent down today? Is he that invisible that they forgot to cut him?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:12 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Chris18 wrote:
If it's fucking Sbisa or Seidenberg, I may watch basketball this year. Okay, that's a lie. Maybe I'll pay out the ass and get the Sound Tigers streaming package.

https://www.tsn.ca/isles-ink-sbisa-to-o ... -1.1179697

Isles sign Sbisa to one year deal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:28 pm 

us 679 part trois wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
If it's fucking Sbisa or Seidenberg, I may watch basketball this year. Okay, that's a lie. Maybe I'll pay out the ass and get the Sound Tigers streaming package.

https://www.tsn.ca/isles-ink-sbisa-to-o ... -1.1179697

Isles sign Sbisa to one year deal.

Do you know Luca?

Luca Deez Nuts! I'm going to use that after he messes up. So, often. Fucking hell.

I am wondering if the plan is to build the org from Bridgeport up. In the past, Bridgeport has pretty much always sucked, with a few top prospects toiling away down there. Now they've added some real AHL vets and the team should compete very well. So maybe the plan is to have kids come up with an expectation of winning, instead of the Snow method of wallowing in mediocrity all their careers. I don't know. I'm trying to justify this somehow.

Terms aren't out yet. Hopefully it's a really low salary. If he's going to keep Toews out of the NHL, he'd better be a fucking bargain. Prick.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next