OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:22 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Good heavens...I don't know if any piece of entertainment could possibly be more soul-crushing than The Handmaid's Tale. We're only about four episodes into season two and I'm a frickin' wreck.

What's alarming as all fuck is just how topical this is right fucking now, more than thirty years after the book came out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:46 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Good heavens...I don't know if any piece of entertainment could possibly be more soul-crushing than The Handmaid's Tale. We're only about four episodes into season two and I'm a frickin' wreck.

What's alarming as all fuck is just how topical this is right fucking now, more than thirty years after the book came out.

Had no expectations with S2 seeing as S1 ends the way the book does. Being able to mirror current events and the freedom of not following the book, but with Atwood's supervision, allowed them to make an even bleaker, crazier season of television. Ended up loving it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:50 pm 

We have only one episode left to go on "The Haunting of Hill House" and I think it's been brilliant as all hell. On one hand, scary as all hell, on the other hand, absolutely heartbreaking, especially the episode entitled "The Bent-Neck Lady." Egads...

Watched a couple episodes of Black Mirror and I'm hooked. Unfortunately I'm seeing them WAY out of order, but the first one was a pitch-perfect sendup of Star Trek that takes a very sinister turn about a third of the way in.

Loving the new Doctor on Doctor Who, and the new showrunner and writing are a welcome start after things got kinda stale with the previous regime IMO. They actually did an episode that centered around Rosa Parks, something I don't think Doctor Who has ever even tried before. Very interesting for the fact that it was a sci-fi take on one of our watershed moments in history, and some outsider perspective on racism in America.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:17 am 
Big in Japan

Had Amazon Prime over the holidays and watched Marvelous Ms. Maisel, the latest from Gilmore Girls creator Amy Sherman. A mix of GG with Mad Men. Beautifully shot, funny characters. Highly recommend.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:43 pm 

Five episodes into "Friends from College," and I'm not sure I've ever seen a bigger mix of psychologically damaged characters in an ensemble comedy before. I don't think there's been an episode where at least a couple people aren't shitfaced drunk or whacked out on multiple drugs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:01 pm 

Friends from College got the axe after two seasons, so that's that. It had an utterly brilliant cast and good writing but I imagine too many people found it difficult to like these characters because they truly were horrid and were only starting to realize it.

Disney also takes their ball and goes home. I'm really annoyed that if I want to watch more seasons of Daredevil, et al, I have to subscribe to another fucking streaming service. I'm already subscribed to two (CBS and Netflix), the former merely because I wanted Star Trek. I'm not gonna shell out for three.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:21 pm 

Making my way through Mr. Robot season 3. I'm glad they're wrapping it up after season 4. American television makes series run way, way too long. No TV show should really go past five IMO. In the UK it's customary for them to end after two or three series, unless it's Doctor Who or Coronation Street. Still an intriguing, intelligent show that's amazingly well-acted and directed, though nothing will come even close to that ridiculous first season.

While I like the cast and am intrigued by the concept, Deadly Class has somehow been edgy and dull at the same time. But I'd probably watch Maria Gabriela de la Faria in about anything.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:28 pm 

Lost in all the hype of Game of Thrones, Star Trek: Discovery just finished up it's 2nd season. It is without a doubt the batshit-craziest Trek ever conceived, and that's not always a good thing.

SFX and set design is the best it's ever been. They're doing movie-quality stuff on TV now, which is really cool to see. But at times I felt the writing just went a little off the rails at times. Did NOT need to see a severed Klingon baby head, and there were times technology-as-plot-device just reared its ugly, convenient head way too much. Still, the show gave us an iconic moment when Captain Pike sees his very, very dark future as foretold way back in the classic story "The Menagerie."

This is blasphemy coming from a die-hard Trekkie (but I maintain Deep Space Nine is the best-ever Trek so I'm already kind of an outcast) but I wish Trek would move the hell on from the Klingons. Discovery tried radically rebooting them in season one so that they were almost unrecognizable but this season saw them revert to their more familiar forms...and I'm just kinda over them.

Season three is going to be completely and totally whacked-out as it is *SPOILER ALERT* no longer going to be a prequel series. The show will be free to do whatever it wants going forward as it won't be tied to any real continuity. Could end up being really good, could end up being really bad. We'll see.

Looking forward to the new Picard series coming out soon-ish. At the very least I hope it cleans up some of the very awful mess left in the wake of Star Trek: Nemesis.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:51 pm 
Big in Japan

Funnily enough, I just started watching Discovery this past weekend. I don't know dawg, you're right that it looks great, but I don't know if this series is going to say anything new or if it's just more branded content.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:50 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Funnily enough, I just started watching Discovery this past weekend. I don't know dawg, you're right that it looks great, but I don't know if this series is going to say anything new or if it's just more branded content.

Oh it's pretty ambitious, it doesn't fall into the procedural content that TNG was known for, but they don't always stick the landing. I find it interesting they built an ensemble cast but it's not centered around the captain this time. Gives them a little more leeway when it comes to rotating out supporting cast members, whether it's via death or other means. You'll see it's no DS9 but it's much better than most of the other recent stuff. I personally don't care much for the Abrams films, Voyager, or the last couple TNG movies. And the less said about goddamn Enterprise, the better.

My biggest complaint about Trek has always been the stodgy, oftentimes toxic section of the fandom that insists on the same bullshit crisis-averted-in-an-hour-or-maybe-two every time, all the time. And sure enough, that show kind of exists right now. Seth McFarlane created The Orville as a paean to ST and features a TON of former TNG/VOY people both in front of and behind the camera. I'm disappointed it's mostly a tribute and not a cutting satire. It's basically Next Generation with some dudebro jokes thrown in for good measure. And sure enough, you go online to any post about Discovery, tons of these guys come out praising The Orville and blasting Discovery. What strikes me as the most ironic is that so many conservatives embrace Star Trek, which is a tale set in a future Earth society that couldn't possibly be more left wing and progressive. I would think those guys would love a darker, more violent take on Trek even though it features *gasp* a black female lead, an Asian woman as a captain, and three openly gay characters.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:53 pm 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Lost in all the hype of Game of Thrones, Star Trek: Discovery just finished up it's 2nd season. It is without a doubt the batshit-craziest Trek ever conceived, and that's not always a good thing.

SFX and set design is the best it's ever been. They're doing movie-quality stuff on TV now, which is really cool to see. But at times I felt the writing just went a little off the rails at times. Did NOT need to see a severed Klingon baby head, and there were times technology-as-plot-device just reared its ugly, convenient head way too much. Still, the show gave us an iconic moment when Captain Pike sees his very, very dark future as foretold way back in the classic story "The Menagerie."

This is blasphemy coming from a die-hard Trekkie (but I maintain Deep Space Nine is the best-ever Trek so I'm already kind of an outcast) but I wish Trek would move the hell on from the Klingons. Discovery tried radically rebooting them in season one so that they were almost unrecognizable but this season saw them revert to their more familiar forms...and I'm just kinda over them.

Season three is going to be completely and totally whacked-out as it is *SPOILER ALERT* no longer going to be a prequel series. The show will be free to do whatever it wants going forward as it won't be tied to any real continuity. Could end up being really good, could end up being really bad. We'll see.

Looking forward to the new Picard series coming out soon-ish. At the very least I hope it cleans up some of the very awful mess left in the wake of Star Trek: Nemesis.

I have been watching this since the beginning. Good to know someone else has as well.

Its super PC and # me too but i don't mind. I really thought the bond between the 2 doctors was well explored and transcended gender roles.

I really like the guy playing Captain Pike. Not so much with the Klingons....

I have enjoyed this even though I think some of the 2nd season plot was a little too wild and cliche. Curious to see where they go with it after that ending.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:56 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I have never been into Anime and have never watched any of it before, but One Punch Man kills me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:10 pm 
OTP Historian

Jonah Ryan on Veep is killing me right now. Just amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:39 pm 
King of Men

WTF man! I could have sworn the Professor was talking about Doom Patrol on here. Anyway finished watching it....I thought it was awesome right up until the last epidsode (15)......and they totally lost it. What a shitty ending episode. Its like the dudes just got really f'n high on shrooms or smack and said we got 5 minutes to write this piece of shit and ruin the whole series.....YEAH!!!!!!!

I hope DC picks up another season so I can wash Admiral Whiskers shit out of my mouth. The series, overall, was very good.

I am trying to get my daughter to watch Titans with me.....but its hard competing with the internet.

Not sure how one goes about watching all of these different shows when they are all on different platforms. Someone in the TV world needs to stop all this blackout, restriction shit and unite the clans!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:11 pm 

I haven't watched any of the DC Universe shows. And of the WB-DC shows I'm only a regular watcher of Supergirl, featuring lovely Littleton native Melissa Benoist. Doom Patrol definitely looks intriguing though. I mean, how can you not find something to enjoy in a show that features a sentient street block and a guy with psionic muscles who accidentally makes everyone around him orgasm when he flexes?

In other news, it appears SyFy swung the axe on two comic book-based shows I was just getting into: Happy! and Deadly Class. I've only made it in a couple episodes of Happy! thus far but I kinda saw Deadly Class's cancellation coming. Just never quite hit the mark, though I still enjoyed the show.

Also just finished Cloak and Dagger's 2nd season, which I thought was fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:16 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
I haven't watched any of the DC Universe shows. And of the WB-DC shows I'm only a regular watcher of Supergirl, featuring lovely Littleton native Melissa Benoist. Doom Patrol definitely looks intriguing though. I mean, how can you not find something to enjoy in a show that features a sentient street block and a guy with psionic muscles who accidentally makes everyone around him orgasm when he flexes?

Also just finished Cloak and Dagger's 2nd season, which I thought was fantastic.

Oh wow I must be hitting the pipe then......even with the crappy convoluted last episode (strangely even Mr Nobody admits its a convoluted shit show within the episode) Doom Patrol was extremely worthy.

If that GIF doesn't make you want to dig in just to see WTF is going on I can't help you.

I was ho hum on the 1st Season of Cloak and Dagger but if you are saying Season 2 is great I will go back at it. After Luke Cage and the terrible Iron Fist I checked out of the Marvel series.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:49 am 
OTP Historian

harmfuljays wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Oh wow I must be hitting the pipe then......even with the crappy convoluted last episode (strangely even Mr Nobody admits its a convoluted shit show within the episode) Doom Patrol was extremely worthy.

I was ho hum on the 1st Season of Cloak and Dagger but if you are saying Season 2 is great I will go back at it. After Luke Cage and the terrible Iron Fist I checked out of the Marvel series.

We didn't watch Iron Fist and first saw him on Defenders. Nope, not going back and watching that guy's series :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:00 pm 

Iron Fist was pure garbage. Started out promising and fizzled out horribly. Don't even bother. I've zero desire to watch season 2. And I thought The Defenders was crap too. I doubt there'll be another season of that one as the comics have reverted back to the original Defenders lineup and ditched the TV version.

TBH Iron Fist was kinda doomed from the start

Season two of Cloak and Dagger actually gives them a real villain this time around, and stick with it because it's not who ya think it is. I still have some problems with the general execution, but switching the setting from New York to New Orleans was a stroke of frickin' genius. Adds a whole ton of flavor to the mythos that didn't exist in the comics.

Sadly, the guy who created those characters and dozens more for Marvel, including Rocket Raccoon from Guardians of the Galaxy, Bill Mantlo, suffered permanent brain damage after he was severely injured in a hit-and-run while rollerblading years ago. And since comics didn't (and still doesn't) offer shit in terms of medical benefits, his family has struggled to fund his care. https://comicbook.com/comics/2019/04/18 ... -gofundme/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:29 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Anyone else hopping on the new Showtime series starring Russell Crowe and Sienna Miller called the Loudest Voice - about Roger Ailes and the genesis of Fox News? Amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:48 pm 

Okay, there is no fucking way in hell I'm not watching this one.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/in-the-first-fu ... 1836393349

Jeri Ryan might actually be better looking now than she was 20 years ago.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 57  Next