OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:22 pm 
OTP Historian

Apparently the Mule's estimated concussion total has now reached double-digits, and that's downright scary. Not just for his hockey career but his post-NHL quality of life in general. He's still symptomatic from the latest due to a blindside hit from Klinkhammer. Best wishes for a clean bill of health for the Mule.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2015/3 ... ble-digits

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:57 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

The lesson from this? These "lifetime" contracts end up being a bad thing for both sides.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:53 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
The lesson from this? These "lifetime" contracts end up being a bad thing for both sides.

How is it bad for the injured guys? The get paid for years that they can't play hockey. Often, they've been frontloaded anyways so most of the money gets paid up front and the remaining years lower the cap hit. Or, they have a long contract and are getting paid while injured when they might have gotten injured without a contract.

It's not really a lesson anymore considering that they can't sign these contracts. And besides, they knew the risk. For the teams, they paid more money up front to tack on late years that they know the guy might be hurt or retire. Worst case scenario is that the guy continues to play healthy but is really bad and is chewing up cap space, but the idea is that the cap has gone up so much years into the contract that when they are playing it out and ineffective, they aren't killing the team's cap situation. The other drawback is that cap recapture thing, but that was instituted after they were signed. Hindsight.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:54 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

The lesson here is that Johan Franzen needs to be sat down and not allowed to play hockey anymore.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:17 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

saskhab wrote:
The lesson here is that Johan Franzen needs to be sat down and not allowed to play hockey anymore.

I could not agree more.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:32 am 
OTP Historian

RW wrote:
saskhab wrote:

I could not agree more.

Yup, focus on getting general quality of life back before pursuing any kind of return.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:06 am 
OTP Historian

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/r ... /25853131/

Franzen's quality of life was really bad for a couple of months. It's improving and he is able to skate, but still symptomatic.

Quote:
"I had my mind set on coming back," he said. "I'm just hoping one day I'll wake up, and it's gone."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:33 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

An update from Mule's wife, and ir's not good.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/ ... 649351002/

This sounds like a nightmare for the entire family.

There's that thing on Twitter going around asking what athlete a person five years younger than you would probably have no idea just how good they were at their peak. I picked Mike Richards, but I'm thinking it might be Franzen. He was a force out there in his prime, hence the ridiculous contract. He especially tormented the Avalanche. Wonder how the Wings' fortunes would have gone had he stayed relatively healthy this whole time?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:35 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:

There's that thing on Twitter going around asking what athlete a person five years younger than you would probably have no idea just how good they were at their peak. I picked Mike Richards, but I'm thinking it might be Franzen. He was a force out there in his prime, hence the ridiculous contract. He especially tormented the Avalanche. Wonder how the Wings' fortunes would have gone had he stayed relatively healthy this whole time?

Man it's sad reading the stuff he's been going through. This latest update gives some hope, at least:

Quote:
"We are for the first time very hopeful for the future and Johan feels much better from when he started the treatment. It’s not gonna be easy, but now he has a plan on how to go forward and can also start to work out slowly again, we have learned how to handle different situations better, and the doctors and therapists are still there for us and will continue to follow up. I’m super proud of my husband for getting his lately lazy butt out there!!

Someone five years younger than you would still have been old enough to experience and remember Richards' Franzen's prime though, no? But yeah, for a few years he was an absolute tank.

For me, it would be something like Vladdy or prime and playoff Fedorov. Their primes in the mid-90's when I was 10+ years old...man. Someone born in '87 would have been 9-10 years old at the time of Konstantinov's accident.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:16 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Bosc wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Man it's sad reading the stuff he's been going through. This latest update gives some hope, at least:

Quote:
"We are for the first time very hopeful for the future and Johan feels much better from when he started the treatment. It’s not gonna be easy, but now he has a plan on how to go forward and can also start to work out slowly again, we have learned how to handle different situations better, and the doctors and therapists are still there for us and will continue to follow up. I’m super proud of my husband for getting his lately lazy butt out there!!

Someone five years younger than you would still have been old enough to experience and remember Richards' Franzen's prime though, no? But yeah, for a few years he was an absolute tank.

For me, it would be something like Vladdy or prime and playoff Fedorov. Their primes in the mid-90's when I was 10+ years old...man. Someone born in '87 would have been 9-10 years old at the time of Konstantinov's accident.

For me, the too early would have been the Production Line in it's 1950's prime. I did see the Lindsay - Delvecchio - Howe Production Line in 1964 at Olympia. I was 8.