OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 MLB Thread
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:46 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Few things on this planet I hate more than a shitty youth sports coach. I consider myself lucky in a way that I was never good enough to make the A team in youth hockey, always on the B team. I think on the A team I would've just ridden the bench the whole time, on the B team they focus on skill-building and what not and so everyone plays.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:51 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bosc wrote:
Granderson! Throws out the winning run at home and then hits the walk-off. What a signing he's been so far.

Reminds me of one of my good game memories from baseball growing up. This one season I had a coach who just played me in the outfield and sat me and never gave me a chance to do anything and this is house league. Wasn't having fun at all. My Mom absolutely lit into him one night seeing how miserable I was. I knew what kind of player I was and I wasn't trying to pitch or play shortstop all the time or something. So he finally started to give me a chance.

Anyways, one night I think we were tied and there was a guy on third with one out. Batter hits a one-hopper to me at first, I step on the bag and throw it home for the double-play. Bottom of the inning I knocked in the winning run with the bases loaded. Felt vindicated for the crappy season.

A few years later, I had another awful coach and I wasn't having fun anymore so I quit. And I still love to play when I have the opportunity, which hardly comes up.

Youth sports coaches often don't realize the impact they can have on a kid's entire life. I quit baseball because my coach was an asshole to me, blaming me for every loss, every run against, etc.... I still love my father, but he made me hate baseball. :lol: But afterwards, whenever he'd give me shit about being a weird kid, into punk rock and skateboarding, I'd remind him there were no coaches in either of those, and it was his fault I was into them. I can laugh about it now, but I was serious back then, and there's quite a lot of truth to it.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:07 pm 
OTP Historian

Vladdy Jr. The sound off the bat. Holy fuck.

https://twitter.com/SBNation/status/992247445806505985

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:58 pm 

Baseball is so effin' weird. The Rox are posting the worst offensive numbers in franchise history. This despite playing in the best hitter's ballpark of all time. Their pitching has been, for the most part, good. Again, playing in a HITTER'S ballpark. And despite these ridiculous deficiencies, they're 2 games out of 1st in the NL West and 3 games out of the NL lead period.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:42 pm 
Big in Japan

MLB draft is tonight and the Tigers and Giants draft 1-2. Really hoping the Giants get either Mize or Bart, but since this is the baseball draft and everything is for the long long long term, I guess it doesn't really matter who they take, as long as that player turns out eventually.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:00 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

As was pretty much expected Detroit takes RHP Casey Mize with the No. 1 pick in the MLB Draft.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:53 am 
OTP Historian

Aaaaaand the Rockies took a guy who suggested that Obama should be shot back in 2012, who quickly deleted the tweet. The internet remembers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:43 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Aaaaaand the Rockies took a guy who suggested that Obama should be shot back in 2012, who quickly deleted the tweet. The internet remembers.

Great. I suppose I was an idiot back when I was 15 years old, thank God social media or the Internet were not a thing back then. Of course I don't know if I was ever THAT stupid.

The Rockies, for all their high-and-mighty Christian morality their dipshit owners love to bandy about, sure have a very strange double standard. They let a guy (Bobby Chouinard, who to this day is the only Filipino-born player in MLB history) continue to play for the team after he plead guilty to a domestic violence incident in 1999 where he held a gun to his wife's head and worked out a deal where he still got to play and then reported to jail in the offseason. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:48 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
The Rockies, for all their high-and-mighty Christian morality their dipshit owners love to bandy about, sure have a very strange double standard.

Christian moralists have double standards?! I'm shocked, I say!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:59 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Christian moralists have double standards?! I'm shocked, I say!

I know, right? I sure wish Todd Helton were still around. He was the one guy who called the Monforts on their bullshit. And I think he was the only guy who would do so because he knew they wouldn't dare cross him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:33 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

So Stanton gives a little bat flip, stare down and a half-assed point at Fiers, the guy who broke his face in 2014 and hit him again the other night (first at bat vs Fiers since 2014). Fiers said after the game that Stanton was "childish". I don't care if both pitches were total accidents, I'd charge the mound and beat his ass. Fiers is the reason Stanton wears the chin guard, elbow pad, etc. His career was nearly ended by that pitch in 2014. And Fiers is pissed because Stanton pointed at him? Grow up dude. The guy has been waiting 4 years to get you back, and you nailed him again in his first chance.

I'm not a fan of the bat flipping or huge celebrations after a walk-off win in June.... But in that situation, Stanton was not in the wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:59 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
So Stanton gives a little bat flip, stare down and a half-assed point at Fiers, the guy who broke his face in 2014 and hit him again the other night (first at bat vs Fiers since 2014). Fiers said after the game that Stanton was "childish". I don't care if both pitches were total accidents, I'd charge the mound and beat his ass. Fiers is the reason Stanton wears the chin guard, elbow pad, etc. His career was nearly ended by that pitch in 2014. And Fiers is pissed because Stanton pointed at him? Grow up dude. The guy has been waiting 4 years to get you back, and you nailed him again in his first chance.

I'm not a fan of the bat flipping or huge celebrations after a walk-off win in June.... But in that situation, Stanton was not in the wrong.

Fuck if you broke a guy's face with a pitch, have just a little bit of respect and don't throw in on him. Obviously he wasn't trying to do it the first time or this time, but fuck. Just don't throw in. A little bit of sportsmanship. And when you do throw in and hit him AGAIN, shut the fuck up and give a no comment.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:37 pm 

Fucking Rockies. Now they're hitting but can't pitch. Middle relief has completely imploded.

The good news is that Bryan Shaw has replaced Ian Desmond as resident Persona non Grata.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:34 pm 
Big in Japan

Showtime Shohei probably needs TJ. We can't have nice things in baseball.

Also, the OG Tommy John is making the rounds discouraging teens from getting his namesake surgery.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/reds ... story.html

Damning stats: 57 percent of TJ surgeries are on 15-19 year olds. That's nuts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:12 pm 
OTP Historian

OH MY GOD. A BETTER ONE THAN BOBBY BONILLA.

https://theathletic.com/399252/2018/06/ ... -contract/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:20 pm 
King of Men

The Sox are crushing it! First time in quite a few years that I am tuning in semi regularly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:25 pm 

Fucking Rox. There have been worse seasons but this may go down as the most frustrating. They had a prime opportunity to go for it and instead are letting their middle relief and mediocre batting kill them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:12 am 

Mike Matheny fired in STL, and if the absolutely SCATHING piece written in The Athletic is even partially true, he was the ultimate old-school meathead who alienated pretty much every single player except for equally meat-headed pitcher Bud Norris, who was reportedly acted as his clubhouse crony.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:38 pm 
Big in Japan

Giants are fading fast in the tight NL West. Cueto and Samardzija are both broken and Posey's hip is really worrisome.

They should be sellers but they don't have much to sell. Bumgarner, basically. Some of their relievers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:33 am 

Rockies are somehow keeping it alive in July and bolstered their bullpen with Seungwhan Oh from the Jays. He has THE COOLEST nickname in sports: The Final Boss.

Rox also bring back Matt Holliday and assign him to the Grand Junction Rockies affiliate. Long road ahead for him but man, if he makes it back, that'll be something.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next