OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:18 pm 
Big in Japan

The High Flying Devils with Hart Trophy winner Taylor Hall didn't make a big splash this offseason, but I feel like they tried. They've got almost 20M in cap space with only Miles Wood and Steven Santini left to sign. Wonder if they might be a darkhorse team for Pacioretty or Karlsson.

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson-Zajac-Palmieri
Wood-Zacha-Noesen
Coleman-Boyle-Anderson

McLeod, Lappin

Greene-Vatanen
Butcher-Severson
Yakovlev-Mueller

Lovejoy, Santini

Schneider-Kinkaid-Lack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:44 am 
Big in Japan

Santini gets one of those weird 5-6th depth defencemen extensions I'm not super fond of for either side (which means the team will probably win in the end). A measly 1.4M AAV for the next three years. Either he can't crack the lineup full-time and they're giving 1M to a pylon, or he takes a step forward and the Devils get a bargain.

That leaves Miles Wood to re-sign with 18M left in cap space. Butcher the only big extension coming up next season, unless Zacha finally takes a step forward.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:35 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Santini gets one of those weird 5-6th depth defencemen extensions I'm not super fond of for either side (which means the team will probably win in the end). A measly 1.4M AAV for the next three years. Either he can't crack the lineup full-time and they're giving 1M to a pylon, or he takes a step forward and the Devils get a bargain.

Local kid. I hope to see him make it and play well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:40 pm 
Big in Japan

https://twitter.com/NJDevils/status/1031988064028119041

THEY'RE BRINGING BACK THE RED AND GREEN! SWAMP THINGS!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:17 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

HELL YES. Wish they'd just bring those back full time instead of just a third jersey.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:33 pm 

E.L. wrote:
https://twitter.com/NJDevils/status/1031988064028119041

THEY'RE BRINGING BACK THE RED AND GREEN! SWAMP THINGS!

I actually love these. Always have. They're the main reason I have a hard time really hating the Devils, despite them being a close-by division rival.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:58 am 
OTP Historian

Those are great. I wonder what a Green primary Devils sweater would look like...too much Green?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:22 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Those are great. I wonder what a Green primary Devils sweater would look like...too much Green?

I thought they had some for a while, but all I find on Google are the St. Patrick's Day ones. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:50 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

I thought they had some for a while, but all I find on Google are the St. Patrick's Day ones. :roll:

Yeah, same here. It funny...it sounds right and like it happened...but when you see those ones you're like "ok yeah that's a lot of green".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:32 am 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Yeah, same here. It funny...it sounds right and like it happened...but when you see those ones you're like "ok yeah that's a lot of green".

Yep. And Kelly green to boot.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:00 am 
Big in Japan

Miles Wood signs a 4-year deal. Nice raise for a guy who quietly scored 19 last year. If the Devs want to make the playoffs, all their breakthrough guys will have to do it again and a few new ones will have to take the next step (Zacha and McLeod, most notably).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:52 pm 
Big in Japan

The High Flying Devils have stumbled out of the gate due to injuries: Schneider missed time and doesn't look ready now that he's back and Bratt missed October with a broken jaw.

Zacha was shockingly sent down: he's only 21 but is having a tough time becoming a consistent pro.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:54 pm 

They roared out the gate and Kinkaid was absolutely stellar to start, but they've since come crashing back to Earth.

Damn...didn't know they were last in the conference. In fact they've got the 2nd-worst record overall in the league. Stunning.

I think the biggest issue at present is that Taylor Hall isn't anywhere near his Hart-winning form. His even-strength numbers are actually quite bad. But the Devils kinda shoulda known that regression was possible, the Avs failed to listen on two occasions and you can see what ended up happening in 2016-17.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:40 pm 

27th overall in the league, tied in points for dead last in the Eastern Conference, 3-4-3 in their last 10.

It's not helping that Cory Schneider is likely gonna need one more year to recover from hip surgery. That's how long it took Pekka Rinne.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:07 pm 
Big in Japan

Not official yet, but some chatter that Taylor Hall might be shut down for the season with an LBI. What a bummer for a young team on the upswing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:53 pm 

Hall's durability issues are one of the few legitimate reasons not to invest heavily in him. Still does not come even close to justifying the horrible trade that sent him away from Edmonton though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:03 pm 
Big in Japan

Hischier looked great against the Habs today. Not a flashy guy for a first overall pick, but he's smart on the ice, his head is always up and he knows where to stand. Good things end up happening to him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:48 pm 
Big in Japan

Wasted season for the Devs, who will get a lottery pick to add to the rebuild.

Bratt is healthy and no fluke. Zacha was starting to look like a 3rd line centre before getting hurt. Wood is a nice piece.

Lots of injuries, though, and they have three struggling goaltenders.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:58 am 

Blackwood could still be a keeper, Kinkaid is a backup who finally reached the end of his fuse, and Schneider has gone completely and utterly off the rails. Looked horrid against the Rangers today.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:45 am 
Big in Japan

I still like where this team is headed. I think they'll extend Hall and Vatanen asap and add Hughes to the fold.

Shero has stockpiled a ton of young forwards, should start paying dividends. Now they just need some NHL defencemen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next