OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:32 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

The Rox aren't even worth watching so I'm ditching that thread.

Qualifiers due today. Here's what they did. It's officially the end of the Duncan Siemens Era.

https://twitter.com/AJHaefele/status/10 ... 5145412608

Quote:
Full list of Avs QOs -

Qualified:
Matt Nieto
Patrik Nemeth
Spencer Martin
Ryan Graves
Mason Geertsen

Not Qualified:
Duncan Siemens
Nail Yakupov
Reid Petryk
Felix Girard
Jesse Graham

No surprises here really.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:42 pm 

Development camp underway, some undrafted kids get the invite. The most intriguing of these kids is probably Vladislav Kotkov, who had a pretty good season in the Q for Chicoutimi. Dude has A+ hands, release, and size to spare, but...yeesh, that skating. Check out this "breakaway" goal.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:51 pm 

Getting conflicting reports that Conor Timmins will sit out the entire camp due to either an ankle injury or concussion. Very troubling news if it's the latter, that'll be the 2nd major Avs prospect to suffer a big concussion following a big hit suffered at the Memorial Cup tournament. The last guy was Joey Hishon, taking a cheap shot from current Golden Knights defenseman Brayden McNabb (to be clear--fuck that guy forever), and he never really recovered.

Mind you, there were likely OTHER reasons Joey Hishon never made it to the NHL, but that was a major setback from the start. Very disconcerting that another guy who may actually be even more important is suffering from something similar before his pro career has even begun.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:12 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Someone's excited for the season to start. Change that name back to AV, AV!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:47 pm 

According to a story in BSN by Dater, the reason Haynes left is that they wanted him to go back to being the radio voice for the Avs so they could "promote" Marc Moser to the TV spot, and Haynes refused. I remain skeptical, but if true that's pretty strange. In any event I like Moser and have never been the biggest fan of Haynes, but a guy who's served as long as he has deserves a little better.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:51 pm 

Also, Martin Kaut signed his ELC so he's set to be on at least the Eagles opening night roster.

Pretty exciting times for CO hockey right now. :Butch:

But also, still a little disconcerting that Conor Timmins hasn't yet recovered from his concussion suffered at the Memorial Cup tournament. Hope this isn't the start of a trend.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:00 pm 

Well whaddaya know, Chris, it sounds like your boy Greg Cronin is set to be the first-ever head coach of the newly christened AHL Colorado Eagles. There was rampant speculation that the Avs were just going to promote Aaron Schneekloth (I mean, dude won back-to-back championships in the ECHL, that has to count for something) and Schneekloth himself was in attendance at Avs development camp, but it appears that won't be the case. Hopefully they retain him as an assistant or some other capacity. As of now, the new ECHL affiliate in Utah still lists Tim Branham as head coach, so it doesn't sound like he's heading there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:28 am 

Avs have quietly taken care of business, NHL and AHL rosters are pretty much set with only Patrik Nemeth (arbitration pending) left to sign.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:03 pm 

No big deal but the Avs sign DU player Logan O'Connor to an ELC, he was set to be the Pios' captain this upcoming season. Decent grinder who could be an NHL player, but this is likely meant to shore up depth for Loveland. Interesting to see how much focus the Avs org is putting on the Eagles' inaugural AHL season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:34 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Well whaddaya know, Chris, it sounds like your boy Greg Cronin is set to be the first-ever head coach of the newly christened AHL Colorado Eagles. There was rampant speculation that the Avs were just going to promote Aaron Schneekloth (I mean, dude won back-to-back championships in the ECHL, that has to count for something) and Schneekloth himself was in attendance at Avs development camp, but it appears that won't be the case. Hopefully they retain him as an assistant or some other capacity. As of now, the new ECHL affiliate in Utah still lists Tim Branham as head coach, so it doesn't sound like he's heading there.

The only thing Cronin has shown is that teams' D get better after he leaves. Sorry man. I hope he doesn't kill the spirits of all aspiring Avs D-men. (But I think he will)

When this happened I posted on an Isles blog "The Eagles have landed....face down.... in a steaming pile..... of Cronin". :steamingpileofcrap:

Sorry man. I was hoping he'd go to a team I dislike.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:07 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
The only thing Cronin has shown is that teams' D get better after he leaves. Sorry man. I hope he doesn't kill the spirits of all aspiring Avs D-men. (But I think he will)

When this happened I posted on an Isles blog "The Eagles have landed....face down.... in a steaming pile..... of Cronin". :steamingpileofcrap:

Sorry man. I was hoping he'd go to a team I dislike.

Honestly I think Cronin is an interim guy who'll hold the fort until they feel Schneekloth is ready for the next level up. If they weren't so concerned about appeasing a local fanbase that expects championship-level hockey I think they'd have just promoted him right along with the franchise.

Still seems like a strange hire but we'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:15 pm 

And so the very last bit of offseason business is taken care of, Patrik Nemeth and the Avs avoid arbitration and agree to a one-year, $2.5 million deal.

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2018/8/2 ... free-agent

Perfectly fine with this. Nemeth gets his payday after being a waiver-wire pickup, and the Avs don't commit any term to him with guys in the pipeline like Timmins and Makar working their way up. I'm guessing he'll get a fairly big contract from somewhere else when all is said and done, and good for him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:19 pm 

Here's some pics of Philipp Grubauer rocking the lederhosen on his day with the Cup. I have to keep reminding myself he plays for the Avs now.

https://twitter.com/keeperofthecup/stat ... 0069865472

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:19 pm 

More Phil and Phil with the Cup, this time with cows.

https://twitter.com/keeperofthecup/stat ... 0513432577

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:36 am 

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2018/8/2 ... -kings-whl

Undrafted Wheat Kings forward Cole Reinhardt gets a camp invite. His teammate from last season, Ty Lewis, earned himself a pro contract last year in the same fashion. Unlike Lewis, Reinhardt is a big power forward-type.