OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:32 am 
Chaser, Wearer of Skirts

It was something else

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:12 am 
Big in Japan

Off to Tokyo for two weeks. I guess we'll see if I'm actually Big in Japan or it's just a title OTP bestowed on me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:29 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Off to Tokyo for two weeks. I guess we'll see if I'm actually Big in Japan or it's just a title OTP bestowed on me.

Have fun!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:53 pm 
King of the One-Liner

E.L. wrote:

Not as big as you would have been, but congrats on the weight loss all the same.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:24 pm 
Big in Japan

Hounsy wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Not as big as you would have been, but congrats on the weight loss all the same.

Thanks! At 6'0 I'm still pretty big here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:24 pm 
Big in Japan

So Japan is pretty unreal...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:27 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

E.L. wrote:
Love Japan. First time there? Thought you were big over there. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:35 am 
Big in Japan

Logical Progression wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Love Japan. First time there? Thought you were big over there. :lol:

Big only in terms of reputation up until last week. Now I'm legitimately big there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:02 am 
OTP Historian

It looks like we're headed to Spain again, next summer for family friends' wedding just outside of Madrid. Kids would be coming for this, so may do 2+ weeks and go to Portugal too since Anam and I already spent 2 weeks in Spain. They'll be 5 and 3.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:21 am 
King of the One-Liner

Doing ten days in Belize in December with , booked flights to lock in commitment and will figure out where to stay and what to do over next couple of months. Going to stay either at Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker area or a combination of both. Looking to go tropical with out the big resort feel and that area of the world looks to fit the bill.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:51 am 

Hounsy wrote:
Doing ten days in Belize in December with , booked flights to lock in commitment and will figure out where to stay and what to do over next couple of months. Going to stay either at Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker area or a combination of both. Looking to go tropical with out the big resort feel and that area of the world looks to fit the bill.

Was in Caye Caulker 30 years ago. Would best describe it at the time as a tropical slum. Stupidly cheap, but the water was awful. Shower water drawn from the ground water which also was contaminated with the island sewage so whenever you showered you had a faint sewer scent. Always had to rinse with fresh water which the islanders would have cringed at as it was in such short supply. It was almost completely undeveloped at the time, I assume it is completely different by now and the water situation would also be better.

Had a lot of fun though. Best memory was the dolphins swimming beside our cigar boat while the driver smoked the biggest, raggiest spliff I've ever seen and Bob Marley pumping from the boats sound system. It was great.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:22 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Ended up splitting the Belize trip into two parts. Jungle resort for first half just south of Belmopan then second half beach side in Hopkins. Small resorts so hoping to experience a little more of the communities and natural surrounding.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:42 pm 
Big in Japan

Montreal's starting to get some interesting direct flight options. I took advantage of the introductory offer to Tokyo in 2017, and since then new Air Canada directs to Vienna and Copenhagen have caught my eye. This week Ethiopian Airlines announced they've applied for a direct Montreal to Addis Ababa. Granted, they've got the malfunctioning 737s, but if they get rid of those, that could be a fun location for a guys trip.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:34 am 
Big in Japan

This summer I'd really love to travel across this great land, specifically the Maritimes and Newfoundland. I have friends out in the Magdalen Islands and my wife has a friend in PEI. So some combination of driving out to New Brunswick, then seeing PEI, the Magdalen Islands and Nova Scotia would be cool. Then there's Newfoundland of course, which is a trip by itself.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:51 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
This summer I'd really love to travel across this great land, specifically the Maritimes and Newfoundland. I have friends out in the Magdalen Islands and my wife has a friend in PEI. So some combination of driving out to New Brunswick, then seeing PEI, the Magdalen Islands and Nova Scotia would be cool. Then there's Newfoundland of course, which is a trip by itself.

Magdalen Islands and Newfoundland would have been awesome on our East trip, but it's a ton of time just to get there unfortunately :x

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:18 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Spent a 4 night weekend in Vegas... We had a four night stay at an MGM property, including $150 in food and beverage credits so we eschewed the Delano/Mandalay Bay on this trip and stayed at the Mirage just to be closer to the Strip.

First night: Late check-in about midnight, we get a room on the 5th floor because of the last night of CES. We get to our room and see that our drapes are drawn closed... Why? because 1,000W lamps are aimed into those windows. GF complains and we get a room up on the 25th floor - better but not fun changing rooms at 1:30am. They also threw in another $50 in F&B credits.

Next morning, we get up, GF opens the curtains and finds water in the window sill. A lot of it. There was black mold in the corners - the AC felt like it was stopping and starting all night. It was probably not working since it was stuffy and damp - hence the condensation on the windows - not good. So we pack up and head back to the lobby where we meet the day manager on duty who hears our complaints. We even took photos of the mold and other issues. He quickly upgrades us to a 1,600 s.f. executive suite on the 29th floor and gave us another $100 in F&B credits for the remaining three nights.

I won't be staying at the Mirage anytime soon.

Saw Beatles Love for the second time - great, great show. Lost too much money on the slots. Did slightly better on the dollar slots on Fremont.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:06 pm 
OTP Historian

Greeeaaaat. Anam's supposed to visit a friend in Egypt at the end of this month. We're all supposed to be heading to Spain and Portugal in June.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6617581/coro ... -timeline/

Quote:
Feb. 28, 2020: Ontario reports a seventh confirmed case — a man in his 50s who had travelled to Iran. The man arrived in Toronto on Tuesday, Feb. 25 and went to the emergency department of Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre the next day. It also reports its eighth case: a man in his 80s with a travel history to Egypt. Officials said he arrived in the city on Feb. 20 and went to the Scarborough Health Network’s General Hospital’s emergency department on Thursday.

March 1, 2020: Ontario officials diagnose four new cases — three in York Region and one in Toronto. All four patients had recently travelled abroad. One had travelled to Egypt with a man who was later diagnosed with the virus, while the rest had recently been in Iran.

March 2, 2020: Ontario reports three new cases, bringing the provincial total to 18. Each patient had recently travelled to Iran or Egypt or had family members who visited the countries.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:46 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Just spent almost a week in Wildwood, NJ. I've gone to other areas of the NJ shore* for most of my life, and always loved it. Wildwood has amazing natural beauty, and lots of trashy shitheads. They have a boardwalk, which sounds really cool! But it's all trashy shit. And I'm not some hoity toity asshole. I'm very down to Earth. But Wildwood was just... well... trashy.

*The Jersey Shore show was filmed in Seaside, aka Sleeze-side, which we went to when I was like 5, and my parents thought it was full of idiots back then. Now? It's far worse.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:58 am 
OTP Historian

Parents had the kids over for a sleepover for our anniversary. Kids mentioned wanting a 4-day sleepover. Parents are down for it, will see if Anam's Mom can do a day or two and make it longer.

Thinking of riding the train to Montreal and Quebec City in November after school's settled in and work is potentially more quiet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:46 am 
King of Men

Decided to keep it around the town...you know with $4 plus gas prices and all :roll: . Sand Dunes and Mesa Verde. I really wanted to see the San Luis Valley and Crestone/Alamosa (Crestone has the only open air crematory in the country) to see if its some place I wanted land (and to land). Well the answer is hell no. Definitely not my scene....we paid $70 for lunch at some Hippie cafe in Crestone. Sure everything was grown/made in Crestone but damn.......way too small of a town where the hot button topic was dogs on leashes. Typical hippies (I love goat cheese).

Alamosa is pretty run down and the San Luis valley seems to be very depressed financially. I would hunker a guess its because its not a very nice place to live......hot, wind, dirt, no trees, limited water (even though the whole valley is on top of a rapidly depleting aquifer).......all is not lost though....there are some amazing views of Blanca and Crestone (and other 14ers that I could name but won't). The town of Crestone itself is situated at the base of the mountain.

The Sand Dunes were interesting and much larger than I expected. The entry fee was expensive $25 and the park needed some personal touches for disabled/elders. Sand in my ass isn't really my thing and neither is 150 degree sand to walk on. Either way we went and walked to the base stood there for 5 minutes and were like yep its a lot of sand in the middle of nowhere....and its weird. Worth a look but for me and mine that was it. We were glad we stopped at Zapata Falls before the Dunes.

On our way to Durango we stopped at the UFO Watch Tower....apparently San Luis Valley is well known for weird shit.....the valley itself is flat and unpolluted with light. There also isn't shit to do but smoke weed and look at the sky....so makes sense if everyone is always looking up! I like that weird shit anyway...and paid for walking around in my sandals with a fire ant bite (which lingered for a good day).

Now if you take 160 west for an hour things start to pick up. Drove through Pagosa Springs which seems to be a VERY happening yuppie town now.

Durango was beautiful...got to see Ft Lewis college where my Alaskan BFs kids go and it was very nice. I could easily take a trip back through Ouray and Telluride next time.

Mesa Verde was very cool......asked about Vets discounts and they gave me a free year pass to National parks.....wish I had asked that at the Sand Dunes!
Sadly the tours were cancelled and you can't actually go into the Cliff Palace right now (and probably not again). It is a lot of driving around in the park, jumping out and looking. I didn't really expect that but it was a good time.

Overall a pretty good trip...short and a lot of time in the car.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next